Thursday, July 23, 2020

Wednesday, Medical Call, Nap, Supper, Bed Sores,

Quiet day and my gut was playing me up again. Just what you want to hear I know. I got cracking early so I had all my ablutions done before the PSW arrived otherwise it means I don't get to wash and dress for ever. In some ways they are actually a nuisance although I guess one gets used to them eventually. Our lives seem to revolve around their arrival and departure. I meant to run some errands once today's PSW had gone but didn't get round to it. Cooked myself some artichokes for lunch though LOL.

In the end I basically did damn all today. I was expecting a call from our urologist this afternoon so couldn't go far anyway.  Made lunch for the pair of us, not feeling like doing much for myself I made Nong Shim Noodles and ate the artichokes later.

After lunch I busied myself with a few things and then decided to have a nap. Forgot to mention that Matt was up and ready to start his day at 4 a.m. I managed to send him back to bed. Doesn't do my sleep much good though. I had just about got to sleep  in the afternoon and the urologist called - about an hour and a half early!!! Just as well I hadn't gone out I guess.

I made a Marinated Flank Steak Dump and Go dinner in the Instant Pot. I sliced the meat the wrong way and it was rather tough. Easy to carve though. I really don't know a  heck of a lot about carving. I know you are supposed to cut across the grain with flank steak but it was so easy to carve I thought I had got it wrong before. Guess I hadn't. I also cooked some broccoli in the Pot. It was a little more crunchy that we normally eat it. I should have made the florets smaller or given it a bit longer.

Dunno if I have mentioned, Matt has given himself bed sores, not by being in bed, but by constantly sitting on his lounger in a recumbent position. He is now very sore. Not a heck of a lot we can do about it I think. Got a call  booked from the family doc tomorrow to ask him about it. I sympathise because it happened to me when I was in hospital. However, Matt's were self inflicted because he will NOT get up and move around. It huuurts. I know, but he makes it all worse by just sitting and cannot understand that. At least he is doing his exercises still. That's a plus.

Another yummy recipe I haven't got round to trying. Mind you, if it can't be done in the Instant Pot, I mostly don't want to know these days. I do cook with other methods, but not often any more if I can help it.

Cabbage Lo Mein

2 Tbs plus 2 teaspoons sesame oil, divided
3 Tbs reduced-sodium soy sauce
¼ tsp crushed red pepper
12 oz boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into ¼ -inch slices
8 oz lo mein noodles
1 tsp chile-garlic sauce
3 Tbs vegetable oil, divided
5 oz mushrooms, thinly sliced
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 Tbs chopped fresh ginger
1 bunch scallions, thinly sliced
2 cups small broccoli florets (about 1 large crown)
1 red bell pepper, sliced
1 cup snow peas, halved
4 ½ cups thinly sliced napa cabbage ( ½ head)
¾ cup unsalted chicken broth
1 tsp cornstarch

1. Combine 2 tablespoons sesame oil, soy sauce and crushed red pepper in a large bowl. Add chicken, toss to coat, and set aside. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Cook noodles in the boiling water according to package directions. Drain, transfer to a large bowl and toss with the remaining 2 teaspoons sesame oil and chile-garlic sauce. Set aside. Heat 1 tablespoon vegetable oil in a large skillet or wok over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add mushrooms and cook until juices are released and the mushrooms are golden and tender, 4 to 5 minutes. Stir in garlic, ginger and scallions and cook until fragrant, 1 minute. Transfer to a medium bowl. Add 1 tablespoon vegetable oil to the pan and heat over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add broccoli, bell pepper, and snow peas. Cook until tender-crisp, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in cabbage and cook until wilted, 2 minutes. Transfer to the bowl with the mushroom mixture. Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon vegetable oil in the pan over medium-high heat. Add the reserved chicken, leaving the sauce in the bowl. Sauté the chicken until cooked through, 2 to 3 minutes. Meanwhile, add broth and cornstarch to the reserved sauce and whisk to combine. Add the sauce to the pan with the chicken; simmer until thickened, 1 to 2 minutes. Add the vegetable mixture to the pan and toss to combine. Transfer the chicken and vegetables to the bowl with the noodles and toss to combine.

Servings: 4

Author: Lauren Grant
Source: Diabetic Living Magazine


Have a great day, stay well, stay safe.
 

8 comments:

  1. I hope the call with the urologist went well.
    Poor Matt - and poor you. I do hope that the family doc can recommend something which will help with his pain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing special really Sue, I'm alright, he's alright. See you in January.

      Yes, I am sorry for him although I did try to get him to move before it happened. I remember how painful it was for me.

      Delete
  2. Hi Jo - life is obviously challenging and very tiring in so many ways. I'm glad the urologist called and hope that helped. Would sitting on a blow up ring help Matt ... and of course the other expensive option would be to get one of those chairs that vibrates ... my Ma had a vibrating mattress in hospital/nursing centre - and in 5+ years she never got bed sores (she was bedridden all that time too) ....

    I hope today is easier for you ... take care - HIlary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hilary. Not sure about the chairs. I will investigate.

      Delete
  3. Always good to be washed, dressed and ready for the world when someone arrives! If you meet the PSW in your sultry nightie he may conjure up other ideas about therapy! Dinner last evening for us was a very simple affair. One of Miriam's friends had dropped off a bottle of wine for favours done, so we quaffed it with bruschetta, prosciutto, bocconcini, spinach and artichoke dip with crackers, hot Genoa salami, olives, fresh baguette, Danish Fontina and Stilton. What a feast and so easy! There were a couple of other items too, but I just can't bring them to mind right now. After all I have slept since last night!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not exactly sultry David. Not these days. That sounds a pretty good dinner. I wouldn't have all those things available however I plan a similar meal tonight after visiting Red Lobster for lunch.

      Delete
    2. Patio or inside? I think that dining inside is still problematic. I was just reading about the sudden storm last week when patio diners were all moved inside completely destroying the social distancing requirements. I might try a patio (big might) but I wouldn't even consider inside. Dining out is highly over-rated anyway.

      Delete
    3. All cancelled cos Matt decided he doesn't want to go and I can't leave him that long. However, ladydog is going to pick up from there. I assure you, in my situation, dining out is NOT overrated.

      Delete