Friday, July 24, 2020

Restaurant, Take-Out, Doc, Spanish, Book,

Well, so much for restaurant dining or not, Matt decided he couldn't walk into a restaurant with his walker, although he has done it before. He said I was to go along which of course is nonsense. I said I wouldn't go without him which sparked an argument and tears because he wanted me to go etc. etc. In the end I phoned ladydog and we decided to order in. Matt enjoyed what I ordered him. I wish I could say the same thing about what I ordered. We had one funny about it, she asked me to order her some lobster bisque which she wanted for supper. When she saw the bill she thought they had charged her 18.49 for the bisque. So did I, I phoned the restaurant and the cashier checked it and said no, it had been $8.49 then I really looked at the bill which said something like "bisque bowl849" which we had both read wrongly. Duuh. Whilst I was doing this ladydog did the dishes for me so it was almost like eating out, almost. She and I had a lot of laughs, I'm not sure what about, but it was good. Because we were laughing Matt was laughing too although he cannot have known what we were talking about.

Anyway, I was somewhat disappointed to put it mildly.

I then got a call from the family doc who made some suggestions about what I could do to help Matt's bed sore pain. Once I had finished talking to him, I got a large bath towel and rolled it up so it had two high parts on either side. I can't get a definite answer as to whether it hurts, but he hasn't been moving and fidgeting and all the other things one does to get out of pain. So I guess it is working.

I'm learning Spanish, right? on Words for Wednesday there is a short story in Spanish, a message left for me in Spanish and a lot more Spanish which everyone seems to understand but me!!! My own message I managed to get translated with the help of Duolingo, but I didn't want to try to get the whole story translated. It occurred to me I am not doing as well as I think I am. Apart from anything else I need George to practice the little bit I know, and I guess it is going to be a while before I can "speak" Spanish.

Ladydog lent me a book, the one by Alex Trebek. The Answer is.... Reflections on his life. Matt said he had seen that face before. I told him yes, at 7:30 every week night for 20 odd years. But he still didn't know who it was. I will enjoy reading it. Looking for the picture I realise he has written before, I didn't know that. Such a pity about his cancer.

I always used to enjoy Giada de Laurentis cooking. Used to watch her regularly once upon a time.

Linguine with Shrimp and Lemon Oil

For the lemon oil
½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 lemon, zested

For the pasta
1 lb(s) linguine pasta
2 Tbs olive oil
2 shallots, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
16 oz frozen shrimp
¼ cup lemon juice (about 2 lemons)
1 lemon, zested
1 tsp salt
½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
3 oz arugula (about 3 packed cups)
¼ cup flat-leaf parsley, chopped

For the lemon oil

Combine the olive oil and the lemon zest in a small bowl and reserve.

For the pasta

Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the pasta and cook until tender but still firm to the bite, stirring occasionally, about 8 to 10 minutes. Drain pasta, reserving 1 cup of the cooking liquid.

Meanwhile, in a large, heavy skillet warm the olive oil over medium heat. Add the shallots and garlic and cook for 2 minutes. Add the shrimp and cook until pink, about 5 minutes. Add the cooked linguine, lemon juice, lemon zest, salt, and pepper. Toss to combine. Turn off the heat and add the arugula. Using a mesh sieve, strain the lemon zest out of the reserved lemon olive oil and add the oil to the pasta. The zest can be discarded. Add some of the cooking water to desired consistency. Add the chopped parsley to the pasta and toss to combine. Serve immediately.

Yield: 4 - 6

Author: Giada De Laurentis

Have a great day, stay well, stay safe.
 

10 comments:

  1. I could enjoy watching Giada, let alone her cooking! Keep at your Spanish, whether you master it all or not. Learning another language is always a great mental exercise. Last night's dinner was pretty simple here. Kung Pao chicken and ramen noodles. I thought we had bok choy in the fridge, but turns out we didn't so frozen peas had to do.it was very tasty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, lovely woman David. Oh I will keep at my Spanish, I enjoy it, only do a little every day. I love Kung Pao chicken, haven't made it in a while, should do so. Matt not keen on bok choy, pity, I like it.

      Delete
  2. Hi Jo - glad to read you were all able to enjoy the time together ... Ladydog sounds just a delightful friend. Also hope the towel suggestion carries on working that will help a great deal. Enjoy read Alex Trebek's book ... while the linguine would make a delicious supper. Take care and all the best for today - Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hilary. Yes, she is. I just tried sitting on the towel myself and it does lift one up a little. Looking forward to the book.

      Delete
  3. My Spanish is minimal. I use Google translate to understand Manuel's story - which I think many of us did. I simply copy the piece I want translated and drop it in.
    I am so sorry about your dinner out, though very glad that you and ladydog were able to laugh anyway.
    Fingers crossed that the towels do help Matt.
    Cancer is another beastlie illness. There are far too many of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I virtually did that with his comment to me, although I did manage to translate a lot of it. But the story defeated me. I will have to do what you did. I was a tad annoyed, to put it mildly about going out to lunch Sue, but guess that's how it goes. Towels do seem to work, I just sat on them. Oh yes, there are.

      Delete
  4. From what I have read in the articles locally, dementia is not a reason not to wear a mask. Is it in Canada? I am not sure when I will bother to eat in a restaurant again - not any time soon, I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems to be here Denise, whether it is a reason or not, dementia patients seem to refuse to wear them anyway. I know of four who will not. I enjoy eating out always have.

      Delete
  5. LOL - I've a bill wrong like that before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad we are not the only twits in the world Diane LOL

      Delete