Thursday, July 16, 2020

PSWs, Errands, Artichokes, Visitors, Doctors,

Well, it seems we now have a PSW routine with Hassan most days and Biji when he is away. Fine except I miss George with whom I used to speak Spanish. Hassan got me to buy some special cream for Matt. Cost me $18 but he appears to need it. I think he is also suffering from bed sores except they are lounger sores. Told him it would happen but I guess he forgot about it. He knows now. I got bed sores when I was in hospital so I know how painful they can be.

Had a successful afternoon. Went to the store and got my artichokes, I had actually asked them to save me 4 but ended up with 6. I shall have to force myself to eat them! Then went to the liquor store and walked straight in. Got what I wanted and headed for the bank which is a few minutes drive away. No queue there either. Must be my lucky day. I had stolen Matt's wheelie (walker) as it is so much easier to put in the trunk but in fact I never needed it. Just managed with a cane as there were so few people about. Got back home a lot quicker than I expected. Just remembered I forgot to check the mail which I intended to do when I returned. Not really expecting anything.

I had looked up methods of cooking artichokes in the Instant Pot. of course, my little pot would only take 2 at a time. I found a recipe which was straight forward. It suggested adding aromatics to the water, I thought it was a waste of time but decided to try it. I was right, it was a waste of time. However, the artichokes came out fine. I decided to cook all of them and keep them in the fridge. Of course I ate a couple of them already. In case you wonder, Matt doesn't like them. Too fiddly for him same as bones in food or shells on shrimp or crabs. Lazy. I really enjoyed the two I ate. I forgot to ask where they came from, sorry. Maybe, if I remember, I will phone the produce dept. tomorrow and ask.

Ladydog and Zoey are coming tomorrow so that is something we will both enjoy. Matt will stuff the dog with biscuits as fast as he can though, doesn't save the pleasure and spread it out. The last about 5 minutes I think. We are having Subs again tomorrow and then next week going to the Red Lobster.

Tomorrow afternoon I have a phone consultation with the family doc. re getting Matt's prescription renewed. Reminds me, on Saturday I have a phone consult with the cardiologist to whom I have been referred.

Another recipe I must try. I love the chive flower as garnish.

Strawberry, Tomato and Fennel Gazpacho

One 7-inch piece of baguette, crust removed
2 lbs tomatoes, 2 Tbs finely diced, the rest chopped
2 lbs strawberries, hulled and 2 Tbs finely diced, the rest chopped
1 large green bell pepper, 2 Tbs finely diced, the rest chopped
1/4 medium fennel bulb, 2 Tbs finely diced, the rest thinly sliced
1 1/2 cups sparkling mineral water
2 garlic cloves, minced
Salt
Extra-virgin olive oil, for drizzling

1. Preheat the oven to 350°. Cut the bread into 1-inch cubes. (You will need about 1 cup.) Scatter the bread cubes on a baking sheet and bake for 7 minutes, or until crisp. Let cool.

2. In a large bowl, combine the chopped tomatoes, strawberries and bell pepper with the sliced fennel, mineral water, garlic and bread cubes and, working in 2 batches, puree in a food processor. Strain the gazpacho through a fine sieve set over another large bowl. Season the gazpacho with salt. Refrigerate for about 25 minutes, or until chilled.

3. Meanwhile, in a bowl, combine the diced tomatoes, strawberries, pepper and fennel. Refrigerate until chilled.

4. Spoon the diced mixture into shallow soup bowls and ladle the gazpacho on top. Drizzle each bowl of soup with olive oil and serve.

Servings: 8

Tips  The gazpacho and the diced-vegetable garnish can be refrigerated separately for up to 6 hours.

Source: Food & Wine


Have a great day, stay well, stay safe
.

18 comments:

  1. That gazpacho sounds lovely but I'll wait until summer to try it. I envy you the artichokes. I haven't had them for maybe 10 years. They do sell them at the shops but I was spoiled with buying them fresh from a local market garden for many years - sadly it's now disappeared under housing - and the shop bought ones just don't compare as to flavour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes Helen, not a winter dish at all. How lovely to have been able to get fresh artichokes. I guess mine are always shop bought, not sure I have ever had anything else.

      Delete
  2. Hooray for what sounds like a good day - something which is definitely overdue.
    I hope the cream does help Matt and yes bed sores/lounge sores are nasty. Hopefully they can be eased quickly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, especially the artichokes Sue. They are nasty, I know. Fingers crossed.

      Delete
  3. Hi Jo - wonderful ... that's great it's all positive sounding. Enjoy those artichokes ... they are so delicious. Love the cold soup Gazpacho too ... all the best - Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, very satisfactory to get it all done Hilary. I am enjoying them I can assure you. I have always loved gazpacho but not tried this one.

      Delete
  4. It is good to hear that you had such a great day out and about with little hassle and no delays. Your PSW crew is a real league of nations, and I am sure that must add to the pleasure of them coming. Maybe now you need to learn a little Arabic! I do like artichokes, and I suspect that many who claim not to have simply never tried them. Last night's dinner was a chicken stir fry, cooked in the wok in no time at all, healthy and delicious! Then we went for a walk after dinner - about 4km. Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was good David. Yes, aren't they just. I said much the same to them a while ago. Don't think anyone has Arabic although maybe other languages from that part of the world. I am really enjoying my artichokes. Dinner sounds good, but although I like chicken, I would want to have a few other meats too.

      Delete
    2. Quite often we skip meat altogether. Our stir fries are always filled with a variety of vegetables. Sometimes we will add shrimp, and sometimes pieces of a firm fish like cod or haddock. But probably, more are vegetarian than with meat of any kind.

      Delete
    3. I like my protein David. I use them all, fish, seafood, lamb, pork and beef. And chicken of course. Once in a while I use a vegetable protein like beans or something.

      Delete
    4. I have nothing against protein but I am aghast at the way some of it gets to our table. If I were younger, I have no doubt that I would be a vegetarian.

      Delete
    5. Vegetarian or vegan David? I love vegetables but cannot imagine living on them only.

      Delete
    6. I am vegetarian and my love of dairy (cheese in particular) is all that stops me from going vegan.

      Delete
    7. Vegetarian. Vegan is really tough, especially when you travel.

      Delete
    8. I have a friend in NC who is vegan. Don't know how she does it. Don't think her husband is though Sue.

      David, my friend travels all over and yet manages to be vegan.

      Delete
    9. My partner is decidedly carnivore. He eats (willingly) very few vegetables.

      Delete
    10. Apparently the same in ladydog's family. I can't imagine living without vegetables Sue.

      Delete
  5. I am glad you now have a PSW routine. My dad had bed sores and I had to put cream on his back when he was dying in the hospital. I felt so bad for him. I have to try artichokes...I think I did years ago and enjoyed it but have to try again.

    ReplyDelete