Monday, July 27, 2020

Matt, Cast Iron, A/C, Supper, Bowling,

Around 10 Sunday night Matt overbalanced and I couldn't help him stand up so I called the ambulance. They were concerned about his blood pressure being very low so they took him to the hospital. Don't think he has hurt himself in any way but they are being safe rather than sorry. The only trouble is, of course, I can't go with him and I think that is going to be a problem.

Saturday morning I received some sad news from a friend, her husband, who also had Alzheimer's and had developed cancer, had died that morning. sad news, Luckily she has a couple of daughters and a number of grandkids in the area. At least some of them should be able to help her.

I have been seeing a lot of stuff written about how to take care of cast iron pans and things saying you should never wash it. Admittedly, I only have one cast iron frying pan which I have had for years and not having been told any different originally, I always wash it when I use it and then dry it by heating it up on the stove. Simple, easy, never given me any problems. Maybe I'm wrong but it works for me.

You know, I am sick of this very hot weather and presumably, with global warming, it is going to get worse. I turn off the A/C when we get up in the morning and open the window because it is nice to have fresh air, but if I am not careful, by the afternoon, the temps have shot up and I have to put the A/C on again. Of course we only have A/C in the living/dining area, but, with a fan, it does manage to cool the bedrooms a bit which is why I have ordered a portable A/C for the bedroom. Ladydog tells me she too has trouble sleeping in a hot bedroom.

Not much happening this weekend. I just tried cooking the egg rolls I bought from the grocery store. I cooked them in the air fryer and they came out very well. They were actually only cocktail size, but we managed to finish them for our supper. The dipping sauce was OK but nothing spectacular. I could probably knock up something better.

I have arranged to go bowling on Wednesday with a friend. He is bringing along a couple of friends too. The max per lane at the moment is 5 apparently and, of course, we have to wear masks. I am planning to pull mine down off my face when I actually go up to bowl as I find them pretty claustrophobic as it is. Almost wish I had a health reason for not wearing one.

Of course, this morning, Sunday, I was in the bathroom doing my ablutions and I came out to see Matt eating his breakfast, fully dressed. The PSW doesn't come til 9. However, when he came he took Matt up to the bathroom and at least gave him a sponge bath I gather. I leave them to it these days.

One of my favourite foods is Hot and Sour Soup and yet I have never tried to make it myself. It is the first thing I go for at Mandarin who make a really good one.

Hot and Sour Soup

This silky version of the classic Chinese soup includes traditional ingredients like earthy tree ear
fungus, tender bamboo shoots and lily buds.

12 dried lily buds
1/2 oz dried tree ear fungus (1/4 cup)
1 quart low-sodium chicken broth
2 Tbs distilled white vinegar, plus more for seasoning
2 Tbs medium-dark soy sauce, plus more for seasoning
1/2 tsp kosher salt
2 Tbs cornstarch
2 large eggs
1/2 cup shredded bamboo shoots
1/2 cup shredded cooked chicken, pork or ham
3 1/2 oz shredded spiced thick dry tofu (1 cup)
1 1/2 tsp finely ground white pepper
1 Tbs sesame oil
Chopped scallions and cilantro, for serving

1. In a small bowl, cover the lily buds with boiling water and let stand until softened, about 10 minutes. Cut off and discard the tough tips. In another small bowl, cover the dried tree ear fungus with boiling water and let stand until softened, about 20 to 30 minutes. Rinse and coarsely chop.

2. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, bring the broth to a boil. Add the vinegar, soy sauce and salt. In a small bowl, whisk the cornstarch with 3 tablespoons of water, then add the mixture to the boiling broth, stirring constantly. Let the broth return to a simmer and cook until soup thickens, about 3 to 4 minutes.

3. Beat the eggs with a pinch of salt. Bring the soup to a full rolling boil, and using a circular motion, pour the beaten eggs into the soup. Wait 5 seconds, then turn off the heat and stir the pot to distribute the eggs throughout the soup.

4. Add the lily buds, tree ear fungus, bamboo shoots, chicken, tofu and white pepper. Simmer over medium heat until the flavors meld, about 2 minutes. Season with soy sauce, vinegar and salt.

5. Divide the soup among 4 bowls. Drizzle each with sesame oil and garnish with scallion and cilantro.

Servings: 4

Author: ED SCHOENFELD
Source: Food & Wine

Have a great day, stay well, stay safe.
 

21 comments:

  1. I am in favour of better safe than sorry - but it will be a real worry for you and for Matt. I hope he is home again with you quickly.
    I am sorry for your friend too.
    I have seen the 'never wash a cast iron pot' too. I think washing it supposedly strips the seasoning. We have only one and do wash it - and have no problems.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess you are right Sue. They called me to come and get him at 3 this morning. He is somewhat confused but otherwise OK. Yes, sad to lose your husband even if you have lost him mentally anyway. Interesting that you too have had no problems with washing cast iron.

      Delete
    2. They called you at 3am? Gah.
      I am glad that he is okish though.

      Delete
    3. I know, terrible wasn't it Sue?

      Like the word okish LOL

      Delete
  2. Hi Jo - I hope Matt is ok ... and he can come home sometime soon - and you can get to your bowling on Wednesday.

    Having seen the 4th point of your soup ... it's put me off ... add the lily buds could be ok as presumably they're like spring onions, but tree ear fungus ... well that floored me!

    Hope things go reasonably well this week ... take care - Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hilary. I picked him up about 4 this morning.
      Tree ear fungus is presumably some kind of mushroom.

      Delete
  3. Hi Jo - I thought I'd just posted a comment ... saying that I hope Matt can get home from hospital without any problems and you can get to your bowling on Wednesday, which I know you enjoy a lot.

    The soup is extraordinary ... the lily buds presumably are like spring onions, but the tree ear fungus completely put me off!

    Take care and I hope the heat eases ... and was sorry to hear about your friend and her loss ... all the best - Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jo - not sure if my comments have got through ... this is just checking ... H

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bother - looks like I forgot to publish my comment ...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Jo - I hope Matt will be ok and be home soon. Also that you can get to bowling, which I know you enjoy. The heat must be horrid - but am glad you're helping yourself with the portable A/C ...

    The soup - I could cope with lily buds, presumably like spring onions ... but the tree ear fungus put me off!

    Take care and I hope all goes well with Matt and the hospital - must be worrying ... all the best Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don;t know when the portable A/C will arrive. Could be after the heat disappeares.

      Delete
  7. I do make a hot and sour soup, Jo, and it tastes pretty good. It is actually a crockpot recipe and takes about four hours. I get it going before we leave to go birding on a winter's day and it is ready when we return home. Sorry to hear about, Matt, and hope that all is well, but perhaps it gave you a brief break. Last night we made Country Captain Chicken for dinner. Delicious! Hadn't done it for a while. Miriam invented a new hour - Wine O'Clock. We celebrated it with chilled Sauvignon Blanc on the patio! Who knows, we might even do it again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never got around to trying it. I am sure there is a good Instant Pot recipe. Yes, he is fine, picked him up at St. Mary's about 4 this morning. Never heard of Country Captain chicken. I like wine O'clock although think I prefer whisky o'clock.

      Delete
  8. Sorry about Matt, but if he is in the hospital, taking care of him is their problem, not yours. Don't upset yourself over it.

    As for the weather, there is definitely something wrong when the temperature in Austin, Texas is the same as it is in Michigan. Which is what my son - the one who lives in Texas - and I were talking about yesterday. And I never open my windows anymore to let the air and the pollen in my home. Really helps with my allergies. Then again, I have central air.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I dunno, they got rid of him fast enough. I don't much like driving at 4 in the morning either although at least the roads were clear of traffic. Only trouble is they seem to have decided to repair every road in the city right now. Grr.

      Yes, it is incredible when Austin and Detroit are the same temps. Lucky you with central air.

      Delete
    2. They never would have gotten hold of me in the middle of the night. Phone is on soft ring and I never hear it when I'm sleeping.



      Delete
    3. Well, I was expecting them to call Denise. Maybe not at 3 a.m. though. Had the phone right by me in case. I was hoping they would send him home by cab, but they said he was too confused, it wasn't safe.

      Delete
  9. Goodness! I assume Matt is back from the hospital?

    At least your bowling alleys are open. Ours were open briefly by a judge before our governor shot that ruling down and they closed again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes he is Diane, thanks.

      Lots of restrictions though. Masks of course, every other lane, only 5 (I think) per lane and so on.

      Delete