Saturday, July 11, 2020

Artichokes, Shopping, Masks,

Maybe I am becoming, or already am, a crotchety old woman. Hilary said I should remember that a
lot of these youngsters in the stores, haven't had our European background, or, come to that, travelled very far anyway. Turns out they don't have my artichokes after all although the young man yesterday assured me they did and he would save me some!!! Now they are going to try and order them for me for next week on my shopping day. It's gotta be 18 months since I last had one. I was really looking forward to getting some today, boo hoo. Not only that, I just ate my penultimate fresh asparagus. I remember when I visited a French family in my teens and they had artichokes for a meal, don't remember which, probably dinner, and I didn't like them. In hindsight, they were some of the best I had ever seen and would love to go back to that table again. Not sure when I started to like them. In England we were only getting puny chokes as it wasn't long after WWII. The staff in PC Express probably don't know what they are anyway. That department was so good before Covid, then they employed extra staff who don't seem to know their rear ends from their elbows.

This afternoon I went to the grocery store and picked up the items they had forgotten. I also got some individual meringue nests so I will try dessert with them. If they don't work, I can always break them up and make some Eton Mess. They were given to me "on the house". I then decided to go to Victoria St. Market. Only trouble is they have started working on the road and it took forever with one lane closed on either side. Shouldn't have gone, I was only going to check for strawberries. Not only do they sell very expensive bananas, their strawberries are very expensive. too. I bought a Sirloin steak which was quite large as well as a box of Cevapcici (Yugoslavian, to me anyway). I looked at their asparagus out of interest, they were selling a bunch for the same price as I pay for 2.5 lbs. at Barrie's, of course, they aren't selling any more this year.

It is now mandatory in our town to wear masks in public places which, of course, includes inside apartment buildings. So, from Monday on, we have to wear masks in the halls, the laundry rooms, the lobby, the garbage room, etc. etc. I joked with my new cleaner who lives next door that she would need a mask to get from her door to mine. Of course the PSWs all wear masks but I had to ensure that Kathy would wear one when she comes. ladydog always does although Zoey does not. Of course Matt won't wear a mask for love nor money, but I phoned the Community Response and Behaviour Social Worker and she said that that was a good question and she would check what the law was regarding dementia patients. Turns out that the hubbies of two other women also will not wear a mask. Both dementia patients. Not sure if it's stubborn men or the dementia. I see a notice downstairs someone selling masks.

When ladydog was here yesterday she mentioned a potato salad she had made recently and how delicious it was. Needless to say, I asked for the recipe.

Herbed Potato Salad
  • Author: Cookie and Kate Prep Time: 20 mins Cook Time: 5 mins Total Time: 25 minutes
  • Yield: 6 side servings
This healthy potato salad recipe is full of fresh flavor. It’s mayo-free, easy to make, and sure to be a hit at your potluck! This salad is vegan, egg free and gluten free.

Ingredients
  • 2 pounds small red potatoes, scrubbed and sliced into ¼-inch thick rounds
  • 1 tablespoon fine sea salt
  • ¼ cup olive oil
  • ⅓ cup lightly packed fresh flat-leaf parsley, roughly chopped, plus about 2 tablespoons more for garnish
  • ⅓ cup roughly chopped green onions, plus about 2 tablespoons thinly sliced for garnish
  • 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
  • 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
  • 2 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
  • Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
  • 3 stalks celery, chopped
Instructions
  1. In a large saucepan or Dutch oven combine sliced potatoes and salt. Cover with water by 1 inch. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce heat to medium-low and cook until potatoes are easily pierced by a paring knife and pulled out with little resistance, about 5 to 6 minutes.
  2. Reserve ¼ cup cooking water, then drain. Transfer the potatoes to a large mixing bowl.
  3. In a small food processor or blender, combine the olive oil, ⅓ cup parsley, ⅓ cup green onions, lemon juice, Dijon mustard, garlic and freshly ground black pepper. Process until the herbs and garlic have been chopped into little pieces. Then, while running the food processor, pour in the reserved cooking water and process just until blended. (If you don’t have a food processor or blender, just finely chop the parsley and onions and whisk the dressing together until the oil is fully incorporated.)
  4. Drizzle the potatoes with the herbed olive oil mixture and gently mix to combine. (It will look like you’ve poured in too much dressing, but don’t worry, the potatoes will soak it up!) Let the potatoes rest for ten minutes, gently tossing every few minutes.
  5. Add the celery to the bowl, along with a couple tablespoons each of additional chopped parsley and green onions. Toss again. Season generously to taste with salt and pepper.
  6. Serve immediately, or cover and refrigerate until you’re ready to serve. This salad is best served within a few hours, but will keep in the refrigerator for about three days.
Recipe roughly adapted from America’s Test Kitchen’s The Complete Vegetarian Cookbook and The Sprouted Kitchen Bowl and Spoon.

Have a great day, stay well, stay safe.
 

8 comments:

  1. Hi Jo - good luck with the artichokes ... I'm sure I used to get them in August/ September .. but they are delicious and very good for you. The potato salad looks good doesn't it ... I do it occasionally.

    People's knowledge is very different from ours ... and they're often not that interested in finding out more ... sad, but true.

    We might need to wear masks soon to ... I have one with me - but so far have avoided putting it on ... I am in the sticks so to speak and won't go in crowded places. Here they're giving dispensation for those with dementia ... not sure how it works ... ie whether you need a doctor's letter ...

    Take care and enjoy the steak ... are you going to make Cevapcici - I've always so enjoyed that sort of meal. All the best - Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I certainly am not having much luck at the moment Hilary. Artichokes used to be available all year as they grow in Mexico as well as California. I actually rarely make potato salad. Not sure why.

      You are right about the acquisition of knowledge or the lack of it. It is sad.

      Will start to be law here on Monday and it is so hot, wearing masks is not funny. Our building is not air conditioned. OK in the apartments but not elsewhere. No I wondered about a doctor's letter.

      Will enjoy the steak and also the cevapcici although last time Matt was not so keen any more. He used to like them.

      Delete
  2. Just a quick visit to say hello today, Jo. My daughter is visiting from Ottawa and we have things to do and places to go, starting with the St. Jacobs market this morning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the visit anyway David. Have fun with your daughter. I haven't managed St. Jacobs market in years, can't do all the walking. Oh to get this damned operation done.

      Delete
  3. This post didn't appear in my reader for some reason.
    I am pretty certain that my partner would flatly refuse to wear a mask too (though dementia is not one of his ailments).
    I do like artichokes but they rarely hit the stores here.
    That potato salad looks great - huge thanks to you and to ladydog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Computers are so reliable, except when they're not!!
      Well that makes it a man thing although I know David wears one.
      Seems like they are rarely hitting the stores here lately.
      You're welcome.

      Delete
    2. I have just sent you an email. Which will probably go to your spam folder again.

      Delete
    3. Not spam, it at least recognises you as a valid emailer, but it does go to the bulk file. I have no idea why and although I tried altering it, doesn't seem to have worked.

      Delete