Monday, July 20, 2020

Spam, Storm, Charging, Bowling,

Sunday morning, checking my email, I had dozens of spam emails from a friend's blog. I had a heck of a time getting rid of them. Eventually I went to Rogers home page, checked the mail there and deleted them. Then went back to my mail server and managed to get rid of the damned things. Is it fun for the spammer to do this? I don't see the point except for the sheer aggravation for everyone who receives them.

Just before lunch we had a humdinger of a storm. Almost went black as night and we got a total deluge. The patio door even got very wet and that doesn't happen often. The hydro went off and the air conditioner did. I thought it had blown a fuse (turned out it was just the breaker). I had my phone on charge and a little while after the storm had receded into the distance I heard it beeping at me. Didn't have a chance to go check it but when I did, there was a tornado warning. Bit bloody late. The first beep certainly came well after the storm had gone. At least it is considerably cooler now.

Talking of charging, I once swore I wouldn't have a watch I had to charge and now, of course, I have one. It needed charging as well this morning. Caught it before it completely ran out of charge, otherwise it is a real fiddle to deal with.

Cant remember if I told you the bowling alley is going to be open on Wednesday. Friend tells me they have cut the place in half. I understood him to mean every other lane has been closed off. I have a phone appointment with our Urologist on Wed. afternoon so unless I can change it, I can't go. Matt is talking about coming with me. He would never get up the stairs any more. Thinking about it, not sure I will be able to either. Ve shall see.

If I had a bug enough air fryer, I am sure I could do these in it, but I don't have a suitably small dish that would work. Pity.

Caramelized Balsamic Onions

As these onion halves cook, the balsamic mixture becomes syrupy and caramelizes the onions, giving

them a bronzed caramel color and a luscious, rich flavor

2 Tbs butter, melted
1 Tbs olive oil
? cup balsamic vinegar -- (or cider vinegar)
2 Tbs dry white wine, reduced-sodium chicken broth or water
1 Tbs sugar
¼ tsp salt
? tsp ground black pepper
4 medium yellow onions (about 1 1/2 lbs total)
Fresh thyme leaves (optional)

1. Preheat oven to 425°F. Combine butter and olive oil in 3-quart rectangular baking dish. Whisk in vinegar, wine (or broth or water), sugar, salt and pepper. Set aside. Peel off papery outer layers of onions, but do not cut off either end. Cut onions in half from stem through root end. Place onions in dish, cut-sides up. Cover loosely with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Remove foil. Using tongs, carefully turn onions over to cut-sides down. Bake, uncovered, for 20 to 25 minutes longer or until onions are tender and balsamic mixture is thickened and caramelized. Serve cut-sides up. If desired, sprinkle with fresh thyme.

Source: Diabetic Living Magazine


Have a great day, stay well, stay safe.
 

12 comments:

  1. I suspect that the spammers send up a myriad of their rotten things in the hopes that just a few people open them up. Sadly I suspect it only takes a few for them to make considerable profits.
    Those balsamic onions sound good.
    Good luck with the urologist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How do they make money then?
      I thought so too, don't use my oven, but might do so for these.
      Only a check up.

      Delete
  2. Hi Jo - glad the storm didn't damage any of your techie things ... and once the heat goes it does make living more pleasant ... have a good week - all the best Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So am I Hilary. Always a concern isn't it?

      Thanks

      Delete
  3. It was pretty black here too and we had seen the tornado warning on our iPads. Nothing materialized, however, and it all blew over quickly. By mid afternoon it was sunny again and the storm system had mercifully cooled things off a little. By last evening when we went for our after-dinner walk it was very agreeable and we were entertained by a Rose-breasted Grosbeak feeding on white baneberries. Lots of young robins engaged in antics of every kind too. Will do it all again tonight. It is wonderful and it is free!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't online so didn't see any warnings. Yes, it certainly cooled things off. I bet it was wonderful, I am sure we could see interesting things in the park here, if we could get out and walk.

      Delete
  4. We got some rain, but the storm was to my south. Doppler red showed red for that entire area just two miles south of me. It is unbelievably humid, even this morning.
    You must have an eight inch dish you could make two onions in?
    And I had a conversation with a USA Today reporter about scams and she said they just hope someone falls for it. According to our local paper, many folks do. I just can't believe how stupid some folks are. They lose thousands of dollars. My son (the financial advisor one) had to tell a client not to send money from his account when my son realized he was being scammed. And our local bank reported a scam when they questioned a customer asking to wire money.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has been humid here too Denise, not so bad this morning, but...
      It is a very small air fryer - not sure that I have dish that small. Will check it out. Otherwise its the oven for me. I don't like using the oven.

      Trouble is now you can send money without going to the bank. EFT is so easy. Although I supposed if you can use EFT, you may be clever enough not to be scammed.

      Delete
    2. Usually they ask folks to purchase gift cards and then give them the codes. But some folks do ask a rep to make the transfer. Idiots. No wonder we have a moron for President.

      Delete
  5. Ok somehow I signed myself out..haaa. ok, you had quite the storm! We got rain and some wi d but nothing like you. Glad your power wasn't out for too long

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well you are quite a long way away Birgit, I just hope we get more rain, we need it.

      Delete