Wednesday, July 8, 2020

Plague, Confusion? Physiotherapist, Water, PSW,

Just to be cheerful, I have read a report of a new case of Bubonic Plague, in China. Their last cases of this were in 2009. Just what we need at the moment. Our city has passed a by-law that it is now mandatory  to wear a mask anywhere in town although exceptions can be made due to medical conditions, I wonder if Dementia counts. Matt would certainly not wear one, but as he generally never goes anywhere I guess it won't affect him.

I don't know w hat's going on, but earlier I received a call from the Vascular Lab confirming my appointment tomorrow for an ultrasound. What appointment? I said I had an ultrasound a few weeks back and then went for a CT scan. They seem to feel I need another. I then decided to call the surgeon's office and they agreed I have no outstanding ultrasounds. They are cancelling the appointment. As though I haven't got enough to contend with.

The physiotherapist came this afternoon and was very pleased with Matt's progress. His pain has lessened considerably. He put him through some exercises (in his chair, stubborn bugger wouldn't get up) then he got him to stand and walk around with his walker insisting that he stand straight whilst he did so and didn't push the walker so far ahead. Guess who has been telling him to do that for months? Not sure if that's just a man thing or a dementia thing. I just hope now Yung has told him this he will take notice. More crossed fingers please.

I have a load of sheets to wash and was going to do them today and then discovered the water was off. I also discovered there was a notice up near the elevators but I didn't leave the apartment so never saw it. Hopefully I can get them washed tomorrow.

Had a phone call this evening, George, my Colombian friend, will be back tomorrow to be Matt's PSW. I think he is coming twice this week although I would prefer him to come more often. The one today was from what used to be Yugoslavia. That is the second guy from there.

Turmeric Pork Chops with Green Onion Rice

Turmeric is the trending seasoning of the year. Its subtle flavor notes bring out the best in this simple pork chop recipe. We love that the side dish recipe allows you to dress up precooked brown rice by adding fresh lime juice and cilantro. You'll love the pork chop, but it may be the rice side dish that you make again and again, as it pairs perfectly with a variety of dishes, ranging from Spanish to Asian.
Opt for bone-in pork chops for this recipe to get the full depth of flavor the recipe promises.


4 (6-oz.) bone-in pork chops
1 large garlic clove, halved
1/2 tsp ground turmeric
1/2 tsp kosher salt, divided
1/2 tsp black pepper, divided
3 Tbs olive oil, divided
1 Tbs fish sauce
2 tsp oyster sauce
1 tsp tomato paste
1 bunch green onions
2 (8.8-oz.) packages precooked brown rice (such as Uncle Ben's)
1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves 1 lime, cut into 4 wedges

1. Heat a grill pan over medium-high. Rub pork with cut sides of garlic; discard garlic. Sprinkle pork with turmeric, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Combine 2 tablespoons oil, fish sauce, oyster sauce, and tomato paste. Brush both sides of pork with half of oil mixture. Add pork to pan; grill 4 minutes on each side or until desired degree of doneness. Transfer to a plate; brush both sides of pork with remaining oil mixture. Keep warm.

2. Add onions to grill pan over medium-high; grill 2 minutes. Coarsely chop onions.

3. Heat rice according to package directions. Combine green onions, rice, remaining 1 tablespoon oil, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Serve rice with pork. Sprinkle with cilantro; serve with lime wedges.

Servings: 4

Author: Adam Hickman
Source: Cooking Light

Have a great day, stay well, stay safe.
 

14 comments:

  1. Sigh on the medical mayhem.
    I am pretty sure that the not listening you you/to me is a man thing - though dementia wouldn't help (but what does it help).
    I do hope that Covid 19 doesn't hang around as long as the bubonic plague.
    Keeping everything crossed for you. Tightly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you may well be right Sue.
      So do I. This is bad enough.

      Thanks for the crossed everything.

      Delete
  2. Hi Jo - at least you're getting some help. The mask suggestions seems wise to me ... but I doubt Matt will need to wear one. Glad you've got the PSW sorted out as a regular. Good news re the physio too ... take care - Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True Hilary. Most people were wearing masks anyway. Just as well because he doesn't want to wear one at any time.

      Yes, good news yesterday, doesn't seem like it this morning.

      Delete
  3. At present we don't have any directive to wear masks here and since we're still COVID free in WA at the moment it probably isn't necessary. Since I wear glasses and find masks make my glasses fog up I'm grateful for that. It's not so good as far as the virus goes in other parts of the country, sadly. Melbourne and much of the state of Victoria on the east coast is back in tight lockdown and there seem to be flare ups in lots of other places around the world which is scary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad Western Australia is free though. It's some good news Helen. Sue, above, lives in Canberra so I guess that is a risk area.

      Delete
    2. We have three new cases now. A family returning from Victoria. Before their return we had two months virus free.

      Delete
    3. Oh, what a pity Sue. A new icon appeared on my phone showing world figures. Not that accurate though, it shows the UK not having any recoveries and I know they had two, Prince Charles and Boris the PM.

      Delete
  4. I too saw that article about the plague. China needs to clean itself up.

    As for walking upright, when I was recovering from my broken leg and using a walker, I read an article about how walkers and canes are bad for the body because folks tend to lean into them. Article said if you needed a cane, you should use a walking stick instead. Like Gandalf. Finding a nice one is another matter of course.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That doesn't surprise me Denise, I find myself bending sometimes too. What is the difference between a walking stick and a cane? To me they are both the same item with different names.

      Delete
    2. A walking stick is much longer. You hold it at about shoulder height. Forces you upright.

      Delete
    3. OK, I know what you mean Denise. However, if you need a cane you basically need it to lean on so I can't see how a walking stick would help you. I can see it would keep one upright, but not if you had a bad back.

      Delete
  5. Obviously PSW is a profession that attracts immigrants! As for the mask law, I wear one whenever I am out in contact with others so nothing will change for me.

    ReplyDelete