Saturday, July 18, 2020

Bath Stool, Shopping, Masks, Cardiologist,

The package which I didn't get yesterday because I was on the phone turned out to be the new bath stool for Matt. I went out Friday afternoon to pick it up. When I got it home, Matt kept on and on about what was in the package. Eventually I dragged myself out of my chair and opened the box. When he finally realised what it was, mind you I had tried to explain it many times, he got very upset and said he didn't want a bath stool. Turns out he doesn't remember the PSWs getting my bath stool and using it when he showered. He was so upset he was in tears about it. A big symptom of Alzheimer's, Matt would never have cried about something so silly before. Anyway, I told him I was keeping it for myself. I figured the PSW could "borrow" my stool again and leave it there and I would take the newer one. Hope that works out. He just doesn't understand how much trouble he is having standing.

Whilst out collecting the package I decided to go into my grocery store for some more artichokes, yes, I have stuffed them all into my mouth already. I had been talking to a guy called Houston on the phone, he is a Produce Assistant. So, wandering around the produce dept. I introduced myself to him and thanked him for his help. About a year ago, they re-vamped the store when they added the coffee bar. Although I had been into the coffee bar, I had never walked any part of the store since the changes. I did a bit today. There are a lot of them. I walked through the produce section and the deli section which had always been neighbours. I picked up gorgeous looking leeks and more artichokes then I found what they call the anti pasto bar, used to be loose items but now they are all packaged. I got myself some unstuffed green olives which I like to eat plus use for a recipe. I then wandered over to the deli area and was staggered to see the cheeses they now sell. Huge wheels of all kinds of cheese, I could have gone nuts. This store is worse than Victoria St. Market, I could have ended up spending a fortune. I did buy a chunk of Gorgonzola, haven't had any in a long while. I then got hold of myself and went to check out. I decided to self check out but they have changed the machines yet again and - being unused to computers - had trouble. The leeks had no code nor did  the artichokes. I then saw a woman I have known for years who works there. I hailed her, she came over and said I wasn't supposed to recognise her in her mask. I said it was the blond hair which gave her away. Turns out that for uncoded items I had to press the search icon, like a magnifying glass, duuh. It is a symbol used all over the place.

I then headed home. I might say it was damned hot out there, turned out to be 31°C. I also noticed there were lots of people no wearing a mask Annoyed the hell out of me. They can't all have problems. Seems like there is going to have to be some kind of enforcement although I don't know what they can do. I saw some people wearing masks with the mouths covered, but not their noses.

Earlier in the day I had a call from the cardiologist's office asking me a few questions. I am getting a phone call from him tomorrow. Reminds me, gotta take my blood pressure before he calls. His call is right on lunchtime, between 11:45 and 12:45. What do I do, eat lunch first or after? I will certainly make Matt' lunch before. Don't doctors eat lunch themselves?

Sitting here typing, I am half listening to Andre Bocelli celebrating his 60th birthday. Didn't realise he was that old. I guess we are all getting up there.

Ladydog sent me a recipe for cooking artichokes in the microwave. I was fascinated because the recipe page she copied talked about "radar ranges" never heard that before. She said it was the book which came with her very first microwave in 1978 at which time they were called radar ranges. I don't remember anything other than microwave. Although it was a very quick cooking time, it was only for one artichoke. Doing it in my Instant Pot takes longer but I can cook 2 or even 3 at a time. However, if you are interested here is the radar range recipe. Simple enough,  but as I told ladydog I don't have a 4 cup measure and I can cook more in my Pot. Being greedy you understand.

 Microwave Artichoke

2 Tbs water
1 tsp vinegar
4 drops olive oil
1 medium artichoke

1. Combine in a 4 cup measure, Trim artichoke spears. Place upside down in measure, cover with wax paper.

2. Microwave on high for 4 - 5 minutes until barely tender

Have a great weekend, stay well, stay safe.
 

10 comments:

  1. Poor Matt. And poor you.
    Cheese is one of my big weaknesses. I love it.
    31C is damn hot in my book too. Sadly we are often well over that in summer.
    Good luck with the cardiologist. I do hope you get some helpful answers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sue. Yes, I remember you said you liked cheese. You would have flipped at the cheese they have in the store now. I did. I have a friend in Adelaide who revels in 40°. Don't know how she can.

      Delete
  2. Hi Jo - the bath stool idea makes sense ... poor Matt as you say he doesn't understand. So pleased you got the artichokes and then found so much more in the store to tempt you! Gorgonzola is delicious isn't ... I occasionally buy Stilton which I love. Have an easy weekend ... and all the best - Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If it works Hilary. He doesn't even know he sat on the other stool twice. Too much more, I could have gone broke wandering around there. Haven't had Stilton in ages. thanks.

      Delete
  3. Good for you for using the self-checkout. I do it all the time and it speeds up my exit from the store. As for masks, I haven't been paying close attention, but it does seem that most people are wearing them where I have been. Perhaps here in Waterloo we are more enlightened!!! On the way to Hillside Park last evening for our walk, we passed a couple of restaurants where the patios were filled. In terms of time for lunch we are not regimented at all, and on any given day it can happen anywhere between 11:30 and 2:00. Same for dinner, rarely 5:30 pm, usually around 6:00 pm or a little after, sometimes 7:00 pm and the odd time even later. It all depends on what we have been doing, how hungry we are, and whether we have decided ahead of time what we will have! Perhaps your doctors is the same. Que tengas un buen fin de semana querida amiga, Jo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is generally easier David. Certainly in Stanley Park Mall the masks were not always present. Do you mind, I live in Kitchener and consider myself enlightened LOL. One has to be more regimented with dementia. When we lived in England supper/dinner was always a lot later. These days it is usually 6-6:30, after all Jeopardy comes on at 7:30 and that is my favourite show.

      Gracias mi amigo y la misma para ti

      Delete
  4. My mother always made stuffed artichokes when I was a kid. I enjoyed them, but frankly, as I got older, they are not a veggie I enjoy. I bought my first microwave before 1978 and never heard it called a radar range - unless, of course, I have completely forgotten, lol.
    I must say that I have seen nearly everyone here wearing masks. An article in the paper said there would be very few exceptions, but many police depts. do not want to enforce it. Our numbers are going up again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never had stuffed artichokes Denise, I like t hem just as they are, dipped in something, always used to make a French dressing but being lazy I now use Kraft Zesty Italian out of a bottle. Well I was concerned about Matt not wearing one, I am not any more. Sorry about the numbers.

      Delete
  5. You could use a bowl instead of the 4-cup measure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only bowl I have suitable I use for Zoey's water and my salads LOL. I could still only do one at a time.

      Delete