Friday, July 3, 2020

PSW, Visit, Theatre, Booze, Supper, Wrist,

Well today started off with a different PSW because my Colombian friend insists on having a day off. Meanwhile the hand held shower he suggested arrive and when he phone to confirm tomorrow, I told him he had to set it up. Shouldn't be that difficult for someone without problems.

The rest of the morning was fairly boring until ladydog arrive at lunchtime with our Subs. She and I had a long chat over lunch and Matt, meanwhile, shoved dog biscuits down Zoey's throat. Mind you, ladydog makes them small especially. He never pauses so he can enjoy Zoey's attention a bit longer. ladydog had her hair tied back, she looked like a different person to me. We talked theatre a bit as she is doing stage managing for a local amateur company. I used to do that many years ago, but I was out front acting my little heart off. I always wanted to go on the stage, but my parents gave me what they said was a test and said I was no good so that was that.

Then I decided as it was 30°C, or more, out there I was not going to go stand in line for the liquor store so I ended up getting the delivery company to do it. This ended up in a big argument. Their web site talks about Interac but what they mean is a debit card purchase. We had a big hoo ha about it and then I ended up emailing the company and complaining bitterly. Eventually they called me and gave me a free delivery next time.

For supper I cooked Matt and I are humungous Portabella mushrooms. ladydog saw them and said she couldn't eat one that big. We two pigs didn't have any trouble. They were delicious. We had our store bought strawberries for dessert. Not a bad supper. They weren't cheap those mushrooms but boy were they good.

Most of the day, except when someone was here, Matt has been asleep, but I seem to have been on the go all day, one way or another. However, I think I have finally got Matt to agree to a respite stay whilst I am in hospital. So long as it sinks in and stays there.

Now I have done something to my left wrist. I have no idea what but it hurts like hell when I move it. OK when it is still. I have it in a wrist brace (the one I use for bowling) but I  think it is going to restrict me somewhat.

Lettuce Wraps

Flavorful as a taco truck, but healthy enough to become part of your regular rotation. We keep calories in check by blending a mixture of higher calorie (but oh-so-flavorful) Mexican-style chorizo with leaner ground pork for the meat filling. And then we keep it light by tucking the filling into sweet, fresh butter lettuce leaves—like a cross between a taco and a lettuce wrap. The quick-pickled carrots and jalapeños add authentic taco-truck flavor. Be sure to use fresh Mexican-style chorizo

sausage (found near other refrigerated bulk sausages) instead of dry-cured Spanish-style chorizo.

1 cup white vinegar
1 cup water
1/4 cup granulated sugar
2 tsp kosher salt, divided
1 cup matchstick-cut carrots
4 garlic cloves
1 jalapeño, thinly sliced
8 oz loose fresh Mexican chorizo
4 oz ground pork
2 Tbs olive oil
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp chili powder
8 butter lettuce or Bibb lettuce leaves
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1/2 cup diced white onion
1/4 cup Mexican crema (Mexican sour cream)

1. Combine vinegar, 1 cup water, sugar, and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high, whisking until sugar is completely dissolved. Remove from heat. Place carrots, garlic, and jalapeño slices in a medium bowl; pour hot vinegar mixture over carrot mixture. Let stand at room temperature 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.

2. Combine chorizo, pork, olive oil, cumin, chili powder, and remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons salt in a medium bowl; stir until well incorporated. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high. Add chorizo mixture to pan; cook, stirring to crumble, until just cooked through, 5 to 7 minutes. Remove from heat; drain drippings from the skillet.

3. Place lettuce leaves on a large serving platter. Divide chorizo mixture evenly among lettuce leaves; sprinkle servings evenly with cilantro and onion.

4. Drain liquid from carrots and jalapeños; discard garlic. Top each wrap evenly with carrot mixture; drizzle each with 1 1/2 teaspoons crema. Serve immediately.

Source: Cooking Light


Have a great day, stay well, stay safe.
 

12 comments:

  1. I adore Portabella mushrooms and am very sure that I would join you and Matt on the piggy front.
    Hooray that he has agreed (for today at least) to respite care.
    I am sorry to hear about your wrist. My right hand is black n blue and swollen - which makes me realise just how often I (try to) use it. I hope your wrist settles You don't need any more issues.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad it's not just us that are piggies Sue. I hope he will remember.

      Sorry to hear about your hand, right one too, not good. I hope it will get better soon.

      Delete
  2. Hi Jo - things are coming along - and I'm glad the booze arrived ... hassles are a great nuisance - sorry about that ... still free delivery next time. Ladydog is a great friend ... and today I hope the shower thing works, after being set up. So pleased Matt is coming round to the idea of respite - well done on persevering with that ... take care and all the best. If you had gone on the stage you wouldn't be here with us ... it's the way life takes us isn't it ... ah well - we enjoy your company and recipes et al ... Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So was I Hilary. It was very anger making at the time. Yes, she is a good friend. Brought more flowers yesterday too. If I had gone on the stage, I still might have taken to blogging and you might have been friends with somebody famous, might!!!

      Delete
  3. What was the ho-haw? At least you got a free delivery out of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Basically Ale, because I apparently should have informed them I wanted to pay electronically and they would charge me $7 to do so. Unbelievable in this day and age.

      Delete
  4. Funny, I always thought that Interac and Debit was one and the same thing, but perhaps not. I know that the Interac symbol is on my debit card, but I don't think it is on my Visa or Mastercard. I shall have to check. I would have been happy to scoff down a Portabello mushroom. It is one of life's great treats. Last night we tried a watermelon salad for dinner, and it was hardly the most inspiring dish of the week. It will not be repeated!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the symbol is on my card too David, but!! You can't ask the bank without going in there. Phoning them is impossible any more. Another Portabella fan. They really were huge. I was quite satisfied with one for supper. Never been that keen on watermelon.

      Delete
    2. i have been dealing with my bank by email and that has worked fine, so well in fact I may never go in again! I really like watermelon, but as a salad with feta cheese, red onion, cucumber and a couple of other things it didn't work for me.

      Delete
    3. By email David? I bank online, but don't email them.

      Doesn't sound that good to me I agree.

      Delete
  5. Sorry about the big fight over the delivery. Same here with dog treats, I make them small too. Yum on the mushrooms! Have you ever done them air-fry? So good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, it was a pain Ivy. They need to be small the way Matt shoves them down her throat LOL. If you bought a big bag of dog treats, I think he would feed them all to Zoey. No, never tried them in the air fryer. Would have had to do them in separate batches as they wouldn't both fit. As it was I had to use two fry pans.

    ReplyDelete