Friday, July 31, 2020

Charities, Blanket Repair, Foot Nurse, Artichokes, End of July,

Just went and cleared out our mailbox, not sure when I last went down, but it was very full. Amongst other things, we received an appeal from World Wildlife Fund and Canadian Parks and Wildlife Service mostly suggestion maybe I could leave something in my will. Unfortunately I have nothing to give now and probably nothing to leave in my will either. I would support them financially as much as I could if I had the money. Especially WWF which has been my charity of choice for a number of years.

Ladydog came with Zoey and brought lunch again. Afterwards we chatted for a while and then she produced her crochet hook and some wool and we went into Matt's bedroom and she hooked the hole in his blanket so it is in one piece again. It didn't take her very long at all, I really should learn how to crochet again, a very useful talent.

After she had gone we waited a while and then our Foot Nurse arrived. Now our feet are all pretty again. This time I paid her electronically which is so much easier than a cheque. She did cut one of my toes and put a bandaid on it. Insisted I call her if anything went wrong. Hopefully it won't.

Absolutely nothing scheduled tomorrow although they are supposed to be getting some more artichokes at the grocery store, I hope. Fingers crossed.

I just did the schedule for this blog, the end of July. This year seems to be racing past to me. Monday is Civic Holiday so everyone will be at home, well, most people except those who work in 24 hour places. People often talk about nurses, police, firemen, but you never hear them say prison officers but they too cover 24 hours a day and in a pretty dangerous job too. I know, Matt was one once upon a time.

I made this recipe for supper tonight. It really was quite delicious. I think next time though I will make it with chicken thighs instead of breasts. As there was quite a lot of chicken, I cooked that in a frying pan first and then tipped it into the pot once it was ready. I was quite pleased I used up two chicken breasts which were not skinned and boned. I did that myself, pain in the you know what. I also used my last skinned and boned one too so now have no chicken breasts left.

Instant Pot Orange Chicken

2 lb boneless skinless chicken breast
1 cup orange juice
1/3 cup tomato sauce
2 Tbs canola oil
2 Tbs brown sugar
2 Tbs soy sauce
1 Tbs grated ginger
1 Tbs cornstarch
1 Tbs rice wine
4 cloves garlic minced
1 orange zested
2 Tbs fresh chopped parsley

1. Chop your chicken breast into small cubes.

2. Pour oil into your Instant Pot and press “Sauté”.

3. Add chicken cubes and cook for 5 minutes, until they brown. Stir constantly to make them brown on each side.

4. Add orange juice, tomato sauce, brown sugar, soy sauce, ginger, rice wine, garlic and orange zest and stir.

5. Close the lid and cook at high pressure for about 5 minutes.

6. Once done, do a quick pressure release.

7. Open the lid and press “Sauté” again.

8. Add cornstarch to thicken the sauce and stir. If the chicken has dried too much, add some more orange juice.

9. Cook for about 2 minutes, until the sauce has reached the desired texture with no lumps.

10. Add the Chicken to a serving bowl, sprinkle with fresh parsley on top and serve with rice.

Servings: 6

Source: Corrie Cooks

Have a great day, stay well, stay safe.
 

6 comments:

  1. Hi Jo - good to know LadyDog came with Zoey - she's being so helpful; then your feet - good to have those done. I hope the artichokes are in ... your chicken sounds delicious. Take care - Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Matt in particular, loves to see Zoey. Plus nice to have lunch brought in. Only trouble she cut one toe, bit sore. I hope they are too Hilary, a whole week since I last had any LOL. Yes, I can recommend the chicken.

      Delete
  2. There is no shortage of people begging for money, Jo. I give to certain charities and when I am done I am done. You can't give to everyone. Miriam hasn't crocheted for a while but when she does it is at the speed of light! Always amazes me. Took my birding group to RiverSong yesterday and had a great outing and lunch on the patio. Then Miriam went out for dinner with some of her girlfriends so I had my dinner on my own patio. It was a patio day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I know David, but I still would like to be able to do more. Ladydog is pretty fast too. I haven't crocheted for years. That sounds as thought it was fun for both of you.

      Delete
  3. I have set up a scholarship fund at one of the universities and there is a bequest in my trust documents to them. But I have ignored requests from other organizations to name them in my will. Of course, my children could always decide to donate some of their inheritance to avoid taxes if they so choose. I do support PBS, the National Parks and the Detroit Art Institute, but I get really disgusted with the amount of requests I receive in the mail begging for money.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not disgusted with my requests from WWF and CPAWS but just unable to help at the moment Denise.

      Delete