Friday, July 10, 2020

Cars, Zoom, Confetti, Farm Shops, Grocery,

Had an enjoyable visit with ladydog today. I guess Matt enjoyed his visit with Zoey. As has been mentioned, our weather is disastrously hot at the moment and ladydog cannot leave the car running to keep Zoey cool without leaving the door unlocked, so she cannot stop anywhere to pick up a bit of shopping or something. After she had gone, Charles, who delivers our medications, came and mentioned that he had bought himself a keyless entry gadget so he didn't have to shut off his engine every time he made a delivery. I let ladydog know about this so maybe it will be of use to her. I notice when Zoey is here she usually ends up lying on the kitchen floor which is lino and presumably cooler for her. Ladydog wasn't sure this gadget would work for her vehicle but is going to check it out. I don't have these kind of problems with our old car, I'd have to put the crown jewels in it before anyone would steal it.

I was delighted to received an email from our host at the Alzheimer Society, someone has been found to replace her this summer so we can continue to have our spouse meetings for a while. Don't know if she will be doing it permanently, but certainly for a while.

Ladydog did a rehearsal on Zoom yesterday too apparently. It is turning out to be a very useful programme. Amazing where we have travelled in a few short years. I remember when we didn't have personal computers and I was told that I would never use a computer because I was lousy at math. So much for that. I remember at my first wedding that one of the guests threw computer tape remnants at us for confetti. Not only that, she got into our car and luggage and loaded us up with the stuff. Somebody betrayed us. I think, in fact, she was the best man's wife. I remember us staying in a place, not exactly a hotel, and carrying everything to the bathroom to try and flush it away in bathwater. What a mess. I bet we were real popular with the staff when they saw it. We found remnants of the stuff still sticking to belongings years later.

Chatting to ladydog about Mennonite farms and farm shops, I began thinking about it later. Our car needs to be used more often, especially at the moment, so maybe I will start going to Barrie's (asparagus) and getting berries and anything else I might want from them. They sell all kinds of fruit and veg through the year but I normally don't go there once asparagus has finished.

That reminds me, I am feeling a bit miffed. I phoned the grocery store about the Pavlovas they used to sell. Don't seem to be able to get them any more. Whilst at it, I decided to talk to the Produce Dept. about my inability to buy artichokes. I was told they had some in the store right now. They are saving me some. Ladydog has a theory that the staff in the PC Express department can't always be bothered. I think they don't always know what the heck things are. On Wed. I phoned and asked the girl to add prosciutto. She said "is that some kind of meat? Where is it, in the deli, is it in a flat pack" I did get it OK, but they seem to need teaching a bit more.

Yet another recipe I never got round to trying. I really need to do just that.

Quick Chocolate Fudge Pie

1 cup (250 ml) sugar
1/2 cup (125 ml) butter
2 egg yolks
2 oz (55 g) melted unsweetened chocolate
1/3 cup (80 ml) all-purpose flour
1 tsp (5 ml) vanilla extract
1 cup (250 ml) coarsely chopped walnuts or pecans, or whole peanuts
2 egg whites, beaten until stiff

1. Cream together the sugar and butter. Beat in the egg yolks and chocolate. Add the flour, vanilla, and nuts, mixing to

2. combine thoroughly. Fold in the beaten egg whites. Pour into a well greased 8- to 9-inch (20 - 23 cm) pie pan and bake in a preheated 325F (165C) oven for 30 minutes.

Servings: 8
Yield: Makes 1 pie to serve 6 to 8.

Source: WW Recipes


Have a great day, stay well, stay safe.
 

8 comments:

  1. I am frequently miffed at the ignorance of sales staff. Back in the day I had a weekend job in retail. We HAD to know our stock. Those who did not/could not learn were sacked.
    I am very glad that spouse meetings can continue. I suspect that they are life/sanity savers often.
    Driving out to Barrie's sounds like an excellent idea - a pleasant outing and you know that the produce will be fresh.
    I hope you have a better night tonight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know Sue, they should be "carefully taught" but of course some of it might be laziness. Yes, you are right about the meetings because we are all going through the same things and ways of dealing with stuff is often passed around.

      Yes, I think it will be a good thing to go to Barrie's regularly.

      I did, thanks.

      Delete
  2. It is against the law to leave a car running, against all environmental principles, and if it is stolen and your insurance company can establish that you left it running, an invitation to theft so to speak, they may not pay the claim. I bought some wonderful Pingue prosciutto at Vincenzo's a couple of days ago, and when my daughter arrived yesterday we nibbled on it with bocconcini, wonderful olives marinated in garlic, crackers with Asiago and Danish Fontina. We think she likes to see us, but she just comes for the food! For dinner we had pork schnitzel, pan fried potatoes and Greek salad. Dessert was sliced mangoes with or withour frozen yogurt according to preference. The wine flowed, the conversation was lively - and a good time was had by all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know that David, never had occasion to think about it. The delivery guy is apparently doing it all the time. I can see your daughter would like to visit for the food. Sounds delicious. I should hi me to Vincenzo's one of these days although it is difficult to walk through the store nowadays. Bad enough in the days when I didn't have much trouble walking.

      Delete
  3. Don't be so sure about no one stealing your car. When I was in medical school back in 1966, one of my classmates had an old beat up 1950's Olds. She went to go home one day and someone had stolen it. It still ran, so....
    Years ago I was in the produce dept. of my local Kroger and asked if they had any fennel. The clerk asked if that was some exotic vegetable. And he was the produce manager! So no surprise that the shoppers would not know.
    Only supposed to be 88 F here today. Got to 99 F on my outdoor thermometer one day this week. I can't keep track of the days in this heat.
    BTW, I now have Kevin's Closet Kitchen cookbook and so does my friend. Thanks for showcasing him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't really leave it anywhere much Denise, but I suppose some people will steal anything. That is bad when the manager doesn't know what fennel is. Supposed to go into the 30s again here today, we desperately need rain. Too hot for anything at the moment. Glad you have Closet Kitchen on your radar now, he has some very inventive recipes.

      Delete
  4. Hi Jo - I think we have to remember many people haven't had our European background and education ... and that people haven't been brought up to be quizzy or cook from scratch ... or have much common sense. Your taking the car to Barrie's to give it a run out - and charge up seems really sensible while offering you a range of fresh veggie and fruits to enjoy. Take care - Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I guess that's so Hilary. Certainly the European background part. Basically your idea really, you thought I should take it for a run to Barrie's because it's a nice ride.

      Delete