Tuesday, July 7, 2020

Driver's Test, Nuisances, Proofing, PSWs,Il Volo,

Because I'm an old fogey (don't you dare agree) I am supposed to take a senior's driving/education course this year (every 2 years) around the time of my birthday. I just looked it all up and discovered that because of Covid they are extending people's licenses until further notice. When they do decide to run the courses it will take forever to catch up I imagine. Oh well, not  my problem. Well not exactly anyway.

Later I had a call from the cardiologist's office saying Dr. Johnston would not be available on the 8th and would therefore call me on the 18th. Damn. I wanted to get registered with a new cardiologist. Then I got a message that the Social Worker who has been dealing with me and a group of other spouses has now accepted a job elsewhere and will be quitting the Alzheimer Society. At the moment she doesn't know who will replace her if anyone does. We didn't have our Colombian friend to attend to Matt this morning although we did get someone, at 10, so my new cleaner did the other end of the apartment first  so Matt would have privacy for his ablutions. She is very good I might say and does a lot more things in the time.

I now have a bunch of writing by Cathy, the woman who picks up my groceries. She needs them proofing and editing. I am not really an editor but will do what I can for her. It is some small thank you for her picking up the shopping for me.

Grrrr. I got a call from a PSW who said she would be here at 11:15 tomorrow. I said don't bother. I then phoned the company. I know they are short of PSWs, but do you shower and dress at that hour of the day, we certainly don't. Eventually I got a call back, have a new guy coming at 8. Much better. Honestly, 11:15 we are talking lunchtime almost. I'm sorry, you are going to get a lot of griping about PSWs. Are you surprised?

Funny, I got up this morning and though "I didn't send in my grocery order". In fact, I can stop worrying because things have eased up and now it is not so difficult to get the time slot I want. Phew.

Matt is watching, and I am listening, to Il Volo again, didn't see the end the other night. They are absolutely wonderful to listen to and though they started as virtual kids, to me anyway, their voices which were good then, have matured and are even better to listen to. Mostly, of course, their songs are fairly classical, but they do sing some more popular things occasionally. Mind you they start this concert with Nessun Dorme which is one of the world's favourite arias.

This is a yummy recipe.

Apricot Glazed Bacon Wrapped Cajun Pork Tenderloin

A moist and juicy cajun seasoned pork tenderloin wrapped in crispy bacon and glazed in an apricot dijon sauce! Sweet and salty pork perfection!


1 1/2 lb pork tenderloin
1 Tbs cajun seasoning
2 Tbs brown sugar
6 strips bacon
3 Tbs apricot preserves
1 Tbs grainy dijon mustard

1. Rub the pork tenderloin with the mixture of the cajun seasoning and brown sugar and wrap it up in the bacon.

2. Heat an oven safe skillet over medium heat, add the bacon wrapped pork tenderloin and cook until it is browned on all sides, about 10-15 minutes.

3. Transfer the pan to a preheated 400F/200C oven, roast until the pork reaches 140F, about 10-15 minutes, brushing on the mixture of the apricot preserves and mustard near the end before setting aside it to rest, covered, for 5 minutes.

Servings: 4

Author: Kevin Lynch
Source: Closet Kitchen


Have a great day, stay well, stay safe.
 

12 comments:

  1. Not at all surprised that you were not happy about an 11.15 start. I wouldn't even have needed to pick up the phone. They would have heard my complaints without the benefits of technology (alright that is a small exaggeration).
    Glad that the cleaner is doing an excellent job. And unsurprised that you are happy to help Cathy out on a reciprocal basis.
    I hope the cardiologist and the Social Worker issues can be sorted quickly. And really hope the social worker is replaced.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Who said I used a phone Sue LOL. Yes, I am pleased with the cleaner.

      So do I, don't like being without a cardiologist and I will be sorry to see the Social Worker leave. She will be there for our video call this morning and then that's it.

      Delete
  2. Well, yes, sometimes I do shower and dress at that hour of the day. Sometimes, like yesterday I do not dress at all. I never shower every day. Why? So I can have dry skin? I live alone. Am not going out. What's the big deal? Then again, when I work in the yard, sometimes I take two showers. We've certainly been sold a bill of goods on how we should live our lives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried staying in my night clothes all day, I didn't like it Denise. You are right, I don't shower every day either, don't have time. I recently read an article about it saying more or less what you said.

      Delete
  3. I am certainly dressed long, long before 11h:15 and often I have been out for a couple of hours and returned back home, and then I might take a shower. After all, I merely need to remove my clothes, take a shower and get dressed again. Doesn't seem like a big deal to me, but I don't need anyone to help me, so that perhaps is the difference. I shower at all hours of the day, most frequently at night before going to bed, quite often in the morning, but if I feel like having a shower mid afternoon that's okay too. I am far more regimented about brushing my teeth!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, well Matt will NOT undress once he has dressed David. No matter what. I never shower before bed, tends to wake me up. Now that is something I am fussy about, my teeth, hate a "dirty" mouth.

      Delete
  4. P.S. Thanks for the recipe. I may have to try it. And I decided to sign up for Kevin's newsletter as you seem to post some good recipes from him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, he does come up with some good stuff Denise. Some is a bit too complicated or too different in ingredients for me to bother with these days. I can't spend forever fiddling with stuff any more.

      Delete
  5. Hi Jo - life does go on doesn't it ... but you are sorting things out - just would be nice if things stayed the same for a while. So glad Cathy is being so helpful ... and you're helping her. Take care - oh and glad about the deferment of the driving licence test for now at least. Stay safe - Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doesn't it just Hilary. Sometimes I don't feel I am sorting them out at all. Cathy has turned out to be a good friend. It's more of a classroom event than a test - never get in the car during it. Silly if you ask me. They should test how we oldsters actually handle a vehicle.

      Delete
  6. It might be a year or two before you have to go take that driving test, especially if they get backed up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right Diane, but there is no actual driving involved, they can take a lot of us in the "class room" at once. So maybe they can get through faster although they have been backed up anyway I believe.

      Delete