Tuesday, July 14, 2020

Apps, Restaurants, Physiotherapist,

What a nuisance, I have received our annual cheque from the electric company in NC which, of course, is US dollars and my phone app will not allow me to post different currencies so I have to go to the bank. Not far in fact, but it means a long walk to the car. I spoke to a young man at the banking site who using a lot of verbiage and trying to be oh so very pleasant, kept falling over himself, but assured me, after enquiry, that I could use the phone app. Oh well. These days, unless I actually know the name of the person I want to speak to at my bank, I can't get through to anyone actually there. I have a couple of names, but I have a feeling they have moved on since I met these people.

I just read that Mr. Ford, Ontario's PM, says restaurants can open with a max of 50 from Friday. Not buffet style - so that cuts out Mandarin still - but should be able to do Red Lobster. It will be such a treat to go out to eat, you have no idea. I just double checked with Red Lobster and they are opening on Friday, so maybe we can go to lunch next week with ladydog and possibly with Kathy. Not sure how that works from the social distance point of view. Just phoned them again, they can put 6 people at a table but the tables are 6 ft. apart. Wonder what we are supposed to do, have a bite and then mask up again LOL. I wonder when they will allow buffets to open again. Two of our friends can't stand fish or the fishy smell of RL. Yes, there are other restaurants we could try I guess.

Forgot to mention, the physiotherapist comes Tuesday aft. I am a little concerned about weakness in Matt's legs. His exercises are helping, but he has trouble supporting his body when he stands up.

I doubt I would ever make this, only two of us after all, but I could do damage to a slice of it right now, looks delicious.

Baked Rigatoni with Zucchini and Mozzarella

If you’re in the mood for a cheesy lasagna but want something a little less labor-intensive, try this
Baked Rigatoni. Fresh mozzarella, which is sold in water, has a short shelf life and should be used within a few days of purchase for the best flavor. If you can’t find ciliegini, you can tear a standard-size ball of fresh mozzarella into small pieces. Give this baked pasta an impressive look by using a springform pan.

1 lb rigatoni pasta
1 Tbs olive oil
1 1/2 cups zucchini, cut into half-moons (from 1 [8 oz.] zucchini)
5 oz baby spinach
1/4 tsp black pepper
1 tsp kosher salt, divided
3/4 cup sour cream
1/2 cup plain whole-milk Greek yogurt
1 large egg
16 oz small fresh mozzarella cheese balls, divided
2 oz grated Parmesan cheese, divided
1 (14.5-oz.) can diced tomatoes, drained
Fresh basil leaves

1. Preheat oven to 375°F. Cook rigatoni pasta according to package directions. Drain and transfer to a large bowl.

2. oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high. Add zucchini and cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned on all sides, about 4 minutes. Stir in baby spinach; cook until wilted, about 1 minute. Sprinkle with black pepper and 1/4 tsp. kosher salt. Transfer to bowl with pasta.

3. Whisk together sour cream, plain whole-milk Greek yogurt, egg, and 3/4 tsp. kosher salt in a medium bowl until well incorporated.

4. Stir sour cream mixture into pasta mixture until well coated. Add 12 oz. small fresh mozzarella cheese balls and 1 oz. grated Parmesan cheese to pasta mixture; toss to combine. Gently stir in drained, diced tomatoes.

5. Transfer mixture to a lightly greased (with cooking spray) 9-inch springform pan, and place on a rimmed baking sheet. Bake in preheated oven until set, about 30 minutes. Top with remaining 4 oz. small fresh mozzarella cheese balls and remaining 1 oz. grated Parmesan cheese, and return to oven. Bake until golden brown, about 5 minutes. Remove and let stand 15 minutes. Release side of springform pan, and cut into 8 pieces. Sprinkle with fresh basil leaves.

Servings: 8

Author: ADAM DOLGE

Have a great day, stay well, stay safe.
 

20 comments:

  1. Good luck with both the bank and the physiotherapist.
    Hooray for restaurants starting to open.
    I have had significant PC problems today and the technician is coming back tomorrow. If I am absent it will be 'puter woes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bank is no problem, just the effort of going there Sue. I am hoping the therapist will produce leg strengthening exercises.

      Sorry about the PC problems. The joys of modern technology. Hope you can stay with us.

      Delete
  2. Hi Jo - good luck with the dollar cheque ... nice, but a nuisance ... but hope you can sort it. Good luck with the eating out ... while the pasta dish looks nice - but I'd be happy just to have it without made into a 'cake'!! Good luck with the physio ... all the best - Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a nuisance to have to go to the bank Hilary, a lot of effort getting to the damned car. I think it looks good as a cake, more appealing. Thanks.

      Delete
  3. I have a US dollar account, to handle cheques in that currency. Might be something to look into, Jo. You can transfer money from it to your regular account at the prevailing exchange rate whenever you wish. I am still not quite sure how dining out works if the diners are not in the same bubble. It is obviously impossible to stay two metres apart at the table. Do you just breathe all over each other? I am not a huge fan of restaurant dining in any event, so it is unlikely to be a factor for me any time soon. The very last time we went to a restaurant, with two friends before Covid-19 we were seated next to a group that had no concept of even the basic elements of table manners. They were knife lickers, fork wavers and soup slurpers of the highest order, with conversations at increasingly higher decibels as the wine was quaffed. And for the four of us, with a bottle of wine and tip, we payed $160 for the pleasure! No thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only get one cheque a year David, not worth it. According to RL, they have tables which seat up to 6 and the tables are 6 ft. apart. We only ever go out to lunch anyway and I don't usually have wine as I am driving. For me, preparing 6 meals a day, it is a nice break to have someone serve, cook and clean up.

      Delete
  4. My bank only allows drive-up service. If you have a lock box you have to make an appointment. Of course, other than the odd check I receive, I never go to the bank.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can use the app on my phone to do most banking as well as depositing a cheque by photograph. I never go to the bank either these days although I will have to with this US cheque.

      Delete
  5. You will enjoy eating out again - trust me.
    You wouldn't have to go in the banks here. It's drive-through only.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do Alex. I am so looking forward to it.

      If I were in NC I wouldn't have the problem as it's a US cheque. Carteret Craven EMC is a Cooperative so after a lot of years we had built up a fair sum but they won't give it to you in one lump so they send us a small cheque every year. However, should Matt pass, then the rest will be sent to his estate. Considering we haven't been a customer for 20 years, seems a bit daft to me.

      Delete
  6. No. No. There is no way you'd find me in a restaurant, coffee house, book shoppe or on the beach right now. I don't care if it's less people or not. More and more people are doing things like this at the risk of others and the virus continues to spread FASTER. Nope. Nope. Nope. Not for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is not as bad here I'm pleased to say Ivy. The curve was definitely flattened. We have to wear masks all the time of course. Well not in the home, but everywhere else.

      Delete
    2. It is still dangerous. Where I live is not that bad either but we still don't do things like go out to eat. Why would you even consider risking it. Makes no sense at this point to risk it. Just for food.

      Delete
    3. It's not JUST for food Ivy. If I want I could get take out or even delivery, it's for the pleasure of getting out of the house and having somebody wait on me plus not having to clean up after. With all my health problems it is a wonderful break for me.

      Delete
    4. I know Jo. But your not alone in that want to get out. Going out is a wonderful break. It's pure fun. But it's not safe. And more and more people are saying, well, it's not that bad by me. The curve is going down. Let's just get out a little bit.

      I feel for you and I'm sorry that you have to live with the problems that you do. But it's still not safe. And after working in many restaurants, the number of workers that work whilst they are sick, is high. Even though the manuals clearly state, not to come to work if sick. They do.

      But I do get your situation and hey, not to clean up is a bonus too.

      Delete
    5. Like I just said in a previous comment Ivy, we have a national health system, people don't have to pay to go to a doctor or the hospital. They stay at home when sick. I have sent you an email in response to yours.

      Delete
  7. You go in with mask on, order with it on, when food and drink arrive, you take it off to eat. Goes back on when you leave, if you go to the bathroom, or when the waitress approaches your table. We've been to 3 restaurants since ours opened and they've set people well over 6 feet apart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I assume you are still close to the people you are eating with Diane? Seems to be a concern.

      Delete
  8. I wonder , if we have to mask up, which I am all for unless you can't breathe well, how does one eat?? Should we have mini masks to go over our nose only?? Hahahaa. Just a wonderin'. Sorry to hear about Matt. My mom was not too bad with walking but she went from her cane that she had for years to a walker and she often claimed she felt weak in her legs. Other people just stopped walking and ended up in wheelchairs. I hope Matt does not go in that direction.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw masks advertised with middles that lifted up to drink Birgit, not sure about eating. Well, Matt went down hill in a few days which is why we figured it was the pills, last week the therapist could see a major improvement, then this week quite the opposite.

      Delete