Wednesday, July 22, 2020

Spies, Dogs, Them Green Things, Jeopardy,

Well, not only have I got ladydog keeping an eye on me through my blog, it appears that the Physiotherapist (the one who isn't a doctor!!) is keeping an eye on us through this blog too. Actually we had a good laugh about it today. He was teasing me about the artichokes. His pronouncement is that Matt is doing a lot better. I thought so too. Since stopping those pills, he is stronger and not shaking and doesn't jump with pain when the therapist touches the side of his thighs. He has now given him some leg strengthening exercises as well which are very similar to the ones we did in exercise class (wonder when they will start again) and he said I should do them alongside Matt. He ran Matt through them and was pleased by how well he managed.

Earlier Kathy had come in with the shopping and brought some more artichokes. She also brought Oates, her puppy in training. Cute little dog, she got on with everyone. She is a lab and actually quite small for a labrador  At one year old, she may grow a bit more I guess. She is already extremely obedient. Matt loved her. If he could have Zoey and Oates with him all the time he would be a happy man. She got some water in the bowl I use for Zoey and for my salad!!! Ladydog is not the only one.

Once everyone had gone I finished putting away the groceries. Turned out I had received 8 artichokes! Guess that was it for last week's order and I got them all. I might say the PC Express people had told me there were no artichokes!!! Maybe they don't know what they are. I decided to cook some and thought to myself that when I used to cook them in a pan they were in the water, so that is what I did this time, as an experiment, no trivet, just salted water and 3 chokes. They came out fine. So, if anyone else is planning to cook them in an Instant Pot, all you do is put them in your pot, upside down,  with a cup of salted water, stalks cut off and included, cook them for 15 minutes and then do a quick release. The time does depend on the size of the artichokes of course, but this is for the larger ones. Of course, if you want to, you can put all kinds of garlic and herbs in with them, but I don't think it's necessary.

My favourite programme, Jeopardy, is replaying the very first episodes from many years ago. Alex Trebek then sounds like any other Game Host. I guess he mellows during the years. The one they showed tonight, every contestant ended with 0 dollars. Apparently that didn't happen again for 30 years.

By the way, I have noticed I have been making a few errors in my blogs lately. My apologies, please put it down to tiredness and I will try not to do it any more, some hopes.

Looking at this recipe it could certainly be adapted for the Instant Pot. I must try it out.

Pork Marbella

We took the classic, beloved Chicken Marbella recipe from The Silver Palate Cookbook and made it weeknight-friendly by using quick-cooking pork tenderloin instead. The meat is marinated and then

cooked in those same delicious juices, which get turned into a luscious sweet-and-sour pan sauce.

2 1-lb. pork tenderloins
2 tsp kosher salt
1 cup dry white wine
½ cup pitted prunes, torn in half
? cup (packed) light brown sugar
¼ cup capers, plus 1 Tbsp. caper brine
¼ cup pitted Spanish green olives
¼ cup red wine vinegar
4 garlic cloves, peeled, smashed
2 bay leaves
1 Tbs dried oregano
¼ cup plus 1 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
1 Tbs unsalted butter
¼ cup chopped parsley

1. Season pork with salt. Let sit 15 minutes while you prepare the marinade.

2. Combine wine, prunes, brown sugar, capers and brine, olives, vinegar, garlic, bay leaves, oregano, and ¼ cup oil in a large resealable plastic bag. Add pork, seal tightly, pressing as much air out of bag as possible, and turn to coat. Chill at least 2 hours or up to overnight.

3. Place a rack in center of oven; preheat to 325°. Remove pork from marinade and pat dry; reserve marinade. Heat remaining 1 Tbsp. oil in a 12" skillet over medium-high. Cook pork, turning occasionally, until golden brown all over, 6–8 minutes.

4. Remove pan from heat and let cool 1 minute. Pour reserved marinade over pork. Transfer pan to oven and bake, basting pork once with its sauce halfway through, until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of tenderloin registers 145°, 22–26 minutes, depending on thickness.

5. Transfer pork to a cutting board and let rest 10 minutes. Return pan to medium-high heat. Add butter and cook, swirling pan occasionally, until slightly reduced, 3–5 minutes. Stir in parsley.

6. Slice tenderloin crosswise against the grain. Transfer to a platter and spoon pan sauce over.

Servings: 4

Source: Bon Appétit




Have a great day, stay well, stay safe.
 

8 comments:

  1. Wonderful news about Matt.
    I am glad that he gets visits from 'therapy' dogs too.
    Please don't apologise for errors - we all make them. Some of us (me) quite often.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was good news indeed Sue. Me too, I like to see the dogs. I just wish we could deal with a dog of our own but impossible these days.
      Yes, don't we!!

      Delete
  2. Hi Jo - glad the physio is keeping an eye on you both via this blog - useful to know about. Those exercises sound really useful - I'd join Matt too, if you can. Glad 'Oates' came with Kathy and cheered Matt up ... lovely ... dogs do wonders.

    The artichokes are obviously a great success - enjoy them. While the pork sounds very tasty ... take care - Hilary

    PS - no worries re those slippery blips - they're so understandable ... especially with everything you're going through - most of us make them so easily ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, but I can't make any rude comments about him Hilary LOL. I forgot til he'd gone, his Spanish is pretty good. If George can't come I should use him to talk to instead. You are right, dogs do wonders. I still forgot to ask where the artichokes come from, I would bet California. They are easy to do aren't they?

      Delete
  3. You sound in high spirits today. Hope it continues.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I was up at 4 last night again Denise. Up one minute down the next.

      Delete
  4. We don't watch much TV, but Jeopardy is a show we have watched fairly regularly. When the daylight hours are long at this time of year we are generally out walking when it is on, so rarely see it during the summer months. A show I really enjoy is Antiques Road Show, but I often forget that it come at 8:00 pm, or I have already gotten involved in something else. Evening walks are THE best, however! I do realize, however, that option is not available to you, Jo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are the same David, although I do try and find something Matt will enjoy. Last night I rented a movie and we both fell asleep, so that was a waste of money. I quite like Antiques although I enjoy more the snippets from England that they show now and again. Yes, I wish evening walks were an option for us. If I ever manage to get my legs fixed, maybe they will be again.

      Delete