Tuesday, July 28, 2020

Hospital, PSWs, Zoom Meeting, Shopping, Supper,TIA,

I hadn't thought about it before I read Denise's comment yesterday, but yes, it was a bit irresponsible of the hospital to expect a senior to drive in the middle of the night. I know they didn't know me, but they must have realised that Matt's wife would be no youngster. Maybe I should complain!!

I was delighted to see his PSW this morning. Ladydog had suggested that the PSWs should take Matt's blood pressure. I mentioned it to the young man this morning and he said I would have to talk to Paramed about it. So I called Paramed who said I had to talk to the LHIN. Amy, who is our care coordinator said she would investigate and call me back. She did so, turns out that PSWs cannot take blood pressure readings!! Dunno why. Although I am perfectly capable of doing it myself, I cannot remember to take my own, let alone Matt's.

This morning was our meeting of Alzheimer spouses through Zoom when one of our discussions included how very difficult it is to ask for help. Ladydog has always accused me of using my British stiff upper lip, but one of the spouses said she was using the German hubris. Whichever, it is very difficult to ask for help. When I came away from the meeting, slightly early to make lunch, I found Matt all upset because he said he hadn't seen me all morning, I had been in the meeting for an hour and 15 mins but he figured he hadn't seen me at all. He was in tears and all upset about it. We eventually got over it and had lunch.

After lunch we went out and the first thing we did was go to the car wash. The car was covered in dust through sitting in the underground parking lot. Matt was amazed at the car wash - he has used this car wash many times but appears to have completely forgotten it. I then checked the liquor store and nipped in to get some more bubbly. Then went to get the shopping. Not sure why, but it took for ever for them to bring it out. I even had to phone them and ask where they had got to. Matt was getting antsy. Came home and managed to most of our shopping in our walker baskets although there are still a few things left in the trunk, nothing which will hurt of course.

Once we got home I worked on preparing supper and did a few other things. We then had our 5 o'clock drink and I got another display of tears - can't quite remember what that one was about. However, once I put his supper down in front of him he managed to eat it and forget it.

I forgot to mention, Matt also had some of the early symptoms of a TIA again today, twice, neither occasion developed into anything serious, but it is a bit worrying, Not much anyone can do at this stage, should perhaps talk to the doc about it.

Another recipe I had forgotten, I love meringue although have never been very successful at making it, mind always went brown rather than staying a pure white.

Ambrosia Pavlova

Pineapple Curd
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 tsp kosher salt
Grated zest of 1 lemon
1 large egg yolk
1/4 cup fresh pineapple juice
2 Tbs unsalted butter, melted

Meringue
1/4 cup cornstarch
1 Tbs distilled white vinegar
1 Tbs vanilla extract
1 tsp kosher salt
2 cups sugar
8 large egg whites, at room temperature
1 cup very finely ground pistachios, toasted and cooled

Topping
1/4 cup sugar
Grated zest of 2 oranges
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1/2 cup unsweetened coconut milk
1 cup cold heavy cream
1 orange, peeled of its pith and cut into segments
1 grapefruit, peeled of its pith and cut into segments
1/2 cup candied cherries in syrup, such as Amarena Fabbri
Large dried coconut shavings, julienned lime zest and chopped pistachios, for serving

1. MAKE THE PINEAPPLE CURD In a small saucepan, whisk together the sugar, salt, lemon zest, and egg yolk until smooth. Add the pineapple juice and butter and stir until smooth. Bring to a simmer over medium heat, stirring constantly. Once it begins to simmer, continue to cook and stir the curd until it is thickened and coats the back of a spoon, about 2 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and let cool to room temperature. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to use.

2. MAKE THE MERINGUE Heat the oven to 350°. In a small bowl, stir together the cornstarch, vinegar, vanilla, and salt until a thick paste forms. Put the sugar and egg whites in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment and mix on low speed until smooth. Increase the speed to medium-high and beat until soft peaks form. Add the cornstarch paste to the beating egg whites and continue to beat until very stiff and glossy peaks form, about 5 minutes. Add the pistachios and, using a rubber spatula, very gently fold until evenly incorporated.

3. Trace a 9-inch circle onto a sheet of parchment paper. Flip the sheet over and transfer it to a baking sheet; spray lightly with baking spray. Pile the meringue in the center of the circle and, using an offset spatula or small rubber spatula, form it into a 9-inch disk, smoothing the top and sides. Transfer to the oven and immediately lower the oven temperature to 215°. Bake until the meringue is dried on the outside and looks set, about 1 1/2 hours. Without opening the door, turn the oven off and let the meringue sit inside until completely cooled, at least 4 hours. (The cooling process allows the meringue to dry and cool slowly enough so that it doesn’t collapse on itself.) Once cooled, gently tip the meringue onto its side and peel away the parchment paper. Carefully place the meringue on a flat cake stand or serving platter.

4. WHEN READY TO SERVE, MAKE THE WHIPPED CREAM In a food processor, combine the sugar, orange zest, salt, and coconut milk in a food processor and process until the sugar is dissolved and the zest heavily perfumes the coconut milk. Pour into a large bowl, add the cream, and whisk until stiff peaks form. Pile the whipped cream onto the center of the meringue and gently nudge it to the edge of the meringue, leaving about a 1 1/2-inch border.

5. Arrange the orange and grapefruit segments on the cream and then drizzle with some of the pineapple curd. Dot the top with cherries, coconut, lime zest, and more chopped pistachios and serve immediately.

Servings: 8

Author: Ben Mims
Source: Food and Wine

Have a great day, stay well, stay safe
.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Jo - yes I'd wondered about going to pick Matt up ... but had decided with Covid perhaps it was better to get him home. You seem to be coping really well, the crying must be difficult ... and thankfully there are people there ... as well as your Zoom meetings.

    Glad the car got washed ... laughing with Matt helps so much through some challenging times ... and more importantly you've got your fizz. Just take care and I love Pavlova ... but meringue, delicious cream with fresh fruit does me today ... take care and all the best - Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know Hilary and I have only just realised they forgot the meringue yesterday. I still agree with Denise it was irresponsible expecting a senior to drive at 3 a.m. The spouse meetings on Zoom are very helpful. Thanks

      Delete
  2. I have never been much of a baker, and although I enjoy cooking, it is not something I have had the urge to learn. Miriam on the other hand, having been raised in a Mennonite house, has baked from an early age. We seldom eat dessert but sometimes when we have company for dinner she will make lemon meringue pie, which I am quite sure is the world's best. I swear that the only relationship some meringues have with lemon is that someone waved a lemon over the oven while it was baking. Hers tastes like lemon and the meringue stands up like the sails on a ship. If Matt had that, even saw it, his tears would turn to smiles!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nor me David. I have made meringues in my time, but not that many and not well. I love lemon meringue pie, wish I was any good at making them.

      Delete