Thursday, July 2, 2020

New Canadian $10 Bill, Barrie's, A/C, Fireworks,




I was just handed a new $10 bill, the picture is of Viola Desmond. In the first place the bill is vertical which I had never seen before and in the second I had never heard of Viola Desmond. Turns out she was a black Canadian in the Maritime Provinces. She was a business woman and had founded her own cosmetic school for black women. Her car broke down and whilst it was being repaired, she went to the movies. The rest is history.

As I said, I decided to go to Barrie's for one more lot of asparagus. So, we set off at about 2 and it was a beautiful day, 30°C, so thank goodness for A/C. A nice drive with a lot of trees in their nice fresh greenery. Especially the last bit where the farm is. They had some nice local strawberries too so I got some. We ate them for supper, they were delicious. Tomorrow night I am planning to cook the two huge Portabellas they sent from the grocery store. I said 4 small or 2 large and boy did I ever get large. Biggest I have seen in years. Ladydog is coming at lunchtime so we will be eating Subs and I figured we could therefore have the mushrooms at supper as well as the store strawberries which will not be nearly as good as those we have had the last two days.

Talking about A/C in the car, reminds me of when we first went down to the States for a  trip. Many years ago, the temps were up in the 30°s and at that time we didn't have air conditioning. I remember stopping at one rest stop where they had cantaloupe in a cooler. Delicious and refreshing. I think that was the same year we ended up driving through New Jersey on the turnpike and it was a choice between keeping the windows closed and sweltering or opening them and smelling all fumes from the trucks surrounding us.

Right now, whilst I am writing this, there are fireworks going off all around. I guess there are no big organised fireworks today so people have been doing their best at home. Fireworks cost a lot of money and I think a fair amount of money has been going up in smoke during the last half hour or so. There are some which are really pretty. Like a sparkler but in the air. There are, of course, lots of loud bangs.

I posted this a couple of years ago and still haven't tried it. Looks so good too.

Bread Bowl Lazy Quiche

1 8-9 inch  round sourdough boule, top sliced off and hollowed out, leaving about 1/2 inch of bread.
6 eggs
1 1/4 cup whole milk
3/4 cup half and half
1 1/2 cups filling (I like chopped spinach, onion and cubed ham)
Salt and pepper
8 oz of cheese slices (I use smoked gouda, Havarti, or muenster because they mould well and don’t crack)

1. Heat your oven to 375°F. Place your round of hollowed bread on a cooking sheet. Line the bread bowl with the slices of cheese, overlapping slightly. I do the sides first by draping the cheese down the side and onto the bottom, and then cover the bottom to seal the whole thing in.

2. Sprinkle your fillings evenly over the bottom. Mix the milk, half and half and eggs well, seasoning with salt and pepper to your taste. If your fillings or cheese are salty, go lighter on the salt. Pour the seasoned custard over the fillings then bake 30-40 minutes until the top is browned, and there is just the barest jiggle in the middle when you tap the baking sheet.

3. Let rest for 15 minutes before slicing. Serve hot, warm or room temperature.

 Source: Extra Crispy


Have a great day, stay well, stay safe.
 

12 comments:

  1. I am so glad that Viola Desmond finally got justice, and later yet some recognition. Steps in the right direction - though I fear that strides are needed the world over.
    That bread bowl quiche does sound good - though I wonder what you do with the hollowed out bread. Save it for bread crumbs?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Sue, I always thought Canada was pretty good in that respect, but maybe I was wrong. Makes me think of the song in South Pacific, "YTou've got to be taught".

      I am sure there are lots of things you could do with the bread, breadcrumbs being one.

      Delete
  2. The local business here has been advertising fireworks. If you have lost your job, as many have, why are you burning up your money? We are in the midst of a heat wave and everything here is getting very dry. Wonder how many homes will be burned down this year? We'll see how bad it gets on the 4th.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are feeling gloomy today Denise. You are probably right though. Never thought of the money shortage. We too are having a heat wave, it is horribly hot.

      Delete
  3. I am pretty sure that $10 bill has been available for several months, Jo. Portobello mushrooms are a great favourite with me. When we still ate red meat my favourite version of a hamburger was to find a mushroom as close as possible to the size of the bun and that was it for me - sometimes a little honey mustard, but usually just the burger and the mushroom. Some people put so much stuff on their burgers, onions, relish, mustard, ketchup, mayo, pickles, tomatoes etc I have no idea how they taste the meat. You could probably put dog poop on and they wouldn't know the difference!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, possibly David, but I had never seen it before, I don't normally deal in cash much. Credit Card all the time, that way I get cash back at the end of the year.

      I rarely eat hamburgers anyway, although I do eat red meat. Your last comment reminds me of a joke.

      Delete
  4. That's really weird the bill is sideways.
    I can't imagine driving in the eastern half of the States in summer without air conditioning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is strange to see Alex.

      Yes, I wouldn't recommend it.

      Delete
  5. We're wondering about the taxes on those stimulus checks too. The bill looks really weird. I'm going to try the recipe when my daughters visits from Boston. She loves quiche in all its forms and flavors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stimulus Cheques be damned. I bet they get most of it back at tax time Susan. Hope she enjoys this form of quiche.

      Delete
  6. I grew up without AC in my house. And I remember driving without AC with the windows down. I was just a kid, so I loved it. But my dad was always safety conscious, so I was never allowed to hang my head out the window. When I'd ride with my sisters, they'd break the rule and I'd ride all over with my head out the window like a dog.

    We used to set off fireworks for the kids when they were little. Money well spent if it makes people smile. We could surely use some of those right now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too Liz, but in England it only gets stinking hot now and again, cars certainly didn't have A/C. However, these days I couldn't live without it. Don't ever remember sticking my head out of the window.

      I know fireworks are generally good for humans, but NOT for animals.

      Delete