Saturday, July 25, 2020

Coffee Pot, Exercises, VSM,


Serve a slice of summer with a tomato and cucumber salad. The vinaigrette is made with salty soy Sesame, Tomato, and Cucumber Salad Recipe | MyRecipessauce, but before serving, sprinkle a pinch of flaky sea salt to add texture to the fresh tomatoes.

Well, that's never happened before. When I got up this morning, I made a pot of coffee. I had been meaning to clean the coffee maker for a few days so once the potful was made, I started the cleaning routine. I added 6 cups of vinegar mixed with water as directed. Set it going and nothing happened. The machine kept making explosive noises but no liquid came through. Eventually I topped it up with more vinegar and let it sit for a bit, I then turned it back on and the same thing happened. I kept on like this for a while letting it sit and then turning it back on. Sometimes the explosive noises were a bit scary. I started this at around 8:30 this morning. It finally ran right through, I then ran another mix of water an vinegar through it and now, at almost 3 in the afternoon, I am running clean water through the system. I guess it was thoroughly clogged, but I have never known a coffee pot to do that before. Especially as it had made a pot of coffee earlier. I will make sure to clean it sooner next time. I was beginning to worry it wouldn't clean at all at one point. Mind you, coffee pots get a lot of use round here. Matt doesn't drink coffee but I drink nothing else during the day. Decaf of course otherwise I guess I would be totally wired!!

Can't remember if I mentioned it, but I typed a list of the exercises and now I am not called to come and help any more. Makes a difference, I can get on with stuff whilst the PSWs are with Matt. Including trying to clean the coffee pot. Of course I have to do the exercises at night, Matt doesn't remember what to do and would always skip them anyway.

I want to go to Victoria St. Market but don't want to deal with the road works. Guess I will have to brave it as I am out of Italian sausages and flank steak. The sausages, in particular, I use for a favourite Instant Pot dish. I try not to cook them too often, but I do enjoy them. Matt wouldn't know how often I feed him with them luckily. Reminds me, have to print the recipe again as I gave the other one away.

I love tomatoes and I thought this salad would be delicious.

Sesame, Tomato, and Cucumber Salad Recipe | MyRecipesSesame, Tomato, and Cucumber Salad

1 lb tomatoes, thinly sliced crosswise
1/2 cup thinly sliced English cucumber
1 Tbs soy sauce
1 Tbs rice vinegar
2 tsp olive oil
1 1/2 tsp granulated sugar
2 medium scallions, dark green parts only, thinly sliced
1 medium serrano or jalapeno chile, thinly sliced crosswise
2 tsp toasted sesame seeds
1/4 tsp flaky sea salt (such as Maldon)
1/4 tsp black pepper

Arrange tomato and cucumber slices on a platter. Whisk together soy sauce, vinegar, olive oil, and sugar in a small bowl until sugar dissolves. Drizzle 2 tablespoons of dressing over tomatoes and cucumbers, and top with scallions, chile, and sesame seeds. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Serve immediately with remaining dressing.

Servings: 6

Source: SOUTHERN LIVING

Have a great weekend, stay well, stay safe.
 

6 comments:

  1. It sounds as if you got to the coffee pot in the nick of time.
    Himself's stove top espresso percolator died yesterday and we went looking for another. None suited his fussy self.
    We also sadly had to go looking for a new PC. Hopefully we will pick it up Tuesday.
    I am glad that you no longer have to help with the morning exercises - it must free up quite a bit of time for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think so Sue, never known one do that before. Sounds like an unlucky day with the espresso percolator and a PC. Yes it does free up time. Seems stupid having two of us there so that doesn't happen any more. I hope.

      Delete
  2. Hi Jo - glad you've got the coffee pot cleaned up - a healthy pot of coffee is delicious. Good to know you're both able to do the exercises and Matt has become used to the PSW being there every day. Love salads like this ... hadn't thought of the idea re soy sauce - I'll have to try it. Take care and have a peaceful weekend - Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Coffee is my go to drink all day Hilary. Must admit I am not enthusiastic about doing them myself LOL. I thought it sounded good too. No suitable tomatoes right now. thanks.

      Delete
  3. That salad looks really good, Jo, and I might give it a try. This is the time of year to make it when the tomatoes are so good, and relatively inexpensive too, although all food seems to have rocketed in price recently. I am glad that you won the battle with the coffee pot. Mine just gurgled to announce that the coffee is ready, so I will go and pour myself a cup. The only way to start the day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does David. Only tomatoes I have right now are grape, no good for this really. Yes, my coffee is ready right now too. It was a battle - never had that trouble before. Was told by someone, forget who, that they always use distilled water so never have a problem.

      Delete