Friday, July 17, 2020

Doctor, Parcel, Lunch and Zoey,

Having mistakenly published the first paragraph of my blog for Friday, I now have to find other topics to write about.

I got my call from the doctor and he agreed with me about stopping the Sertraline pill and said we would leave it a week to see how Matt did and then consider if he needs another anti depressant. He has another one in mind if required. That was the real doctor of course!!!!

Annoyingly, whilst I was talking to him there was another call and I obviously didn't want to interrupt the doctor, apart from which, I have forgotten what I do to take another call without losing the first one. Keep meaning to find out, but it doesn't happen that often. I then decided to go down and check the mail and, as I suspected, there was a notice from the mail man saying he would take my parcel to the post office at the mall. Damn, damn and damn. I don't even remember what it was. I know I have ordered a bath stool for Matt but that won't come til next week. I am not 100% sure as to where they have moved the post office as Shoppers Drug Mart has, apparently taken over a large area which included Ted's Smokes which housed the post office. Oh well, I will have to borrow Matt's walker again, easier to put in the trunk, and see what I can find. Have a vague idea where it is.

Ladydog came for lunch, well, she brought lunch, and a lovely bunch of flowers again. Matt enjoyed stuffing Zoey with dog biscuits. He tried to feed her at the table but we told him no, no, no. He would never have thought of that at one time, when we had dogs ourselves. We both used to get annoyed with my mother who did feed Chinook at the table whilst we were at work. She always denied it, but it was a funny thing how Chinook used always to sit close to her at dinner looking up expectantly. Knew better than to do that to us.

I just copied this recipe. I use it a fair amount and thought I might try making my own next time. The woman who came and helped with cleaning for a while brought me some which was better than I could get at the store. You need a good Indian shop for that. I can't grind my spices, I don't have a spice grinder any more so this recipe is fine for me.

Garam Masala

Learn how to make Garam Masala from scratch using fragrant spices and just 5 minutes. Including
instructions for pre-ground spices to make this recipe a breeze, or the more traditional method of whole toasted spices.
Joanna Cismaru

Ingredients

  • 1 tbsp cumin ground
  • 2 tsp coriander ground
  • 2 tsp cardamom ground
  • 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon ground
  • 1 tsp pepper ground
  • 1/2 tsp nutmeg ground
  • 1/2 tsp cloves ground

Instructions

  • Mix all the ingredients together and transfer to an airtight container.

Notes

  1. Recipe will yield 11.5 teaspoons.
  2. Your spice blend will last up to 4 years if properly stored. Now, the blend will never go "bad" or "foul" since there is no moisture present. It will simply lose potency and flavor. I find it makes my life easier to mark my blends with a date to keep better track of them. To see if your blend is still good, a classic sniff test will do the trick.

Have a great day, stay well, stay safe.
 

10 comments:

  1. I have a cheap coffee grinder which I use to grind spices. And home made garam marsala is much better than any of the commercial ones I have tried.
    We were always forbidden to feed animals at the table. Occasionally we would try anyway - particularly if the dish we were served involved offal. We rarely got away with it.
    Years back I can remember a cat who helped herself. We dished up dinner and both went into the kitchen to get something - and came back to find the cat sitting ON my partner's piece of roast pork preparing to defend it from all comers. And yes, she did get that piece but was never fed at the table again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to have a spice grinder Sue, never used it though. I have had dogs that helped themselves in the past. Like the story of your cat.

      Delete
  2. Hi Jo - glad you were able to talk to the doctor and hope Matt eases up during this week ... but at least he appreciates what's happening.

    I hope the parcel isn't too difficult to pick up - good luck.

    But so pleased Ladydog came by with Zoey and Matt enjoyed his time - as did you with someone different to spend some time with. Wonderful to have the cheering flowers too ...

    My favourite spice in the garam mix is cumin - I just love it! Sounds a great spice blend to have on hand. Take care and all the best for today - Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is always a relief to know you have made the right decision. Trouble with the parcel, I haven't a clue what it is Hilary. Yes, always enjoy ladydog and Zoey's visits. Yes, I like cumin too.

      Delete
  3. We go to a local Indian store, small family business as far as I can tell, and buy our garam masala, chat masala and tandoori masala. Great little spot, friendly people, good spices. If we have guests over for an "Indian night" we buy our Indian sweets there too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, always a good idea David. I am unfamiliar with chat and tandoori masalas. Usually good places to get rice too.

      Delete
  4. You can order spices from Bulk Barn for curbside pickup. Much cheaper and fresher. (Or I can pick them up for you when I order next)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well of course you can!! The nearest Bulk Barn, as far as I know, is difficult to get to for me. Very awkwardly situated in Frederick St. Mall. You go to an Indian store don't you.

      Delete
  5. I will keep my fingers crossed that he no longer needs an antidepressant. It is so nice of your friend to bring you flowers and chat and animals are wonderful for people. My mom perked up when the dogs came to visit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Matt does always Birgit, Zoey would be a continuous antidepressant. She is a very good friend.

      Delete