Monday, July 6, 2020

4th July, Ingredient Duplication, TV, PSWs, Cleaner,

My apologies, I forgot to say Happy 4th to all my American readers. Too much on my mind I guess. We watched the concert celebrating the 4th of July and the firework display which hadn't finished before the programme did. What a heck of a lot of fireworks. But what fascinated me, someone was letting off fireworks outside as well, didn't anyone tell them it's an American celebration?

Sunday I decided to make Brisket again and discovered I hadn't got an ingredient. Barbecue Sauce. I Googled and found most of the ingredients I was already adding into the sauce for the brisket. How silly, but it's not the first time I have been missing an ingredient and found that to make it I would be using ingredients which I was already using in the recipe. I am somewhat puzzled about this. I basically ended up using ingredients from the recipe and leaving out a couple of others. For instance, I don't consider one needs brown sugar and honey, so I just used honey, brown sugar is only white sugar coloured with molasses anyway. It turned out to be delicious as it was last time.

I/we have been watching Lucy Worsley in Royal Myths and Secrets - I'm not sure Matt is very interested, but I find it fascinating. Things we believed about royals of the past which turns out to have been false. Tonight was about the French Revolution and Marie Antoinette. What a lot of nonsense I was taught in school. This was the third episode we watched and I am fascinated about what people have been taught and what really happened. Also watched Grantchester which I have never watched before and quite enjoyed it.

Re the PSWs, I thought George was going to be a regular, he was here Saturday, he didn't work Sunday, guess the guy has to have some time off, but he is not coming tomorrow either. It's all very well sending different people to help Matt but it means I have to go and show them what exercises he has to do which rather ruins the whole point of the exercise. This morning the woman came in at 11 and of course Matt was already dressed. I got her to take him through the exercises, with me in attendance of course, then got her to make the beds and take out the recycling. A help, but not what it was all about.

Monday, of course, my new cleaner should be back. Heard nothing to the contrary so she will be here in the morning. Will have to get her to do one end of the apartment first before the PSW comes. I am really looking forward to seeing her.

I have been so busy using my Instant Pot that I have been missing out on some recipes I thought sounded good.

Tandoori Chicken II

A paste made from a combination of spices and dried peppers is the secret to this spicy grilled chicken recipe. No long marinating time is required; the chicken can be prepared in the time it takes

to get the coals hot

1/2 tsp curry powder
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1/4 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground turmeric
2 Tbs water
4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves

1. Preheat grill for high heat.

2. In a medium bowl, mix curry powder, red pepper flakes, salt, ginger, paprika, cinnamon, and turmeric with water to form a smooth paste. Rub paste into chicken breasts, and place them on a plate. Cover, and allow to marinate for 20 minutes.

3. Brush grate with oil. Place chicken on the grill, and cook 6 to 8 minutes on each side, until juices run clear when pierced with a fork.

Servings: 4

Author: DAKOTAGIRL
Source: AllRecipes


Have a great day, stay well, stay safe.
 

12 comments:

  1. Some continuity in PSWs would be nice - and I would think it would be helpful on both sides. I am constantly miffed at just how rare common sense is.
    The tandoori chicken spices sound tasty. I might have to experiment and see how they would go with root vegetables.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Sue.

      Yes, need to try it myself.

      Delete
  2. Anyone who cooks regularly learns how to improvise! Last night's dinner was pretty simple here. I made lemon/garlic chicken, slathered hummus onto wraps, added the chicken, chopped tomatoes, lettuce, red onion and taziki (spelled incorrectly, no doubt). It was damn good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds good David. You don't speak Greek?

      Delete
    2. No Greek unfortunately, Jo. French fluently, Spanish passably and I can get by at a basic level in German if I have to. And I didn't even mention English!

      Delete
    3. I have a little smattering of Greek, learned it many years ago when I was going to spend a couple of weeks there. My Spanish was fair many years ago, but I lost it in the last 40 years or so. French I am fairly fluent, spent a month en famille when I was 15. No German though. I also speak English LOL.

      Delete
  3. Don't get me started on fireworks. No, not the ones that light up the sky, just the mortars that make noise. When I called the police last night she could hardly hear me over the sounds from a couple hundred feet away.
    Anyway, I love Grantchester and so glad they got a new minister last season. And Jordy has got it together at last.
    Learned a lot I didn't know about Queen Anne laast week from Lucy. Well, actually I knew nothing except the rumors about her favourite, which were just that it seems. I tried to watch the movie they made recently, but couldn't get into it.
    Good luck with the rotating PSWs.
    BTW, I made pulled pork the other night and my son wanted to know what BBQ sauce I used and I told him it was just the sauce I cooked it in that I had cooked down on the stove to thicken up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know you hate them, not too keen myself Denise. Well as I have only seen one episode, I don't know the characters yet.

      Yes, it was interesting about Queen Anne, I have the DVD about Sarah Churchill which makes Anne seem a dimwit.

      As David said, anyone who cooks can make these things.

      Delete
  4. Hi Jo - frustrating re the PSW - but at least they're coming. I still think you should ask them for a copy of the exercises ... then you won't need to be around so much. Some of the history programmes are really good ... just enjoy; while fireworks are way too loud ... stay safe - Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True, they are still coming Hilary. I do have a copy of the exercises, but they are not very explicit regarding what he is actually supposed to do. The Lucy Worsley programmes are certainly good and I am enjoying them. Not the fireworks although watching on TV was better.

      Delete
  5. I'.m a great fan of Lucy Worsley. She makes even the driest of history interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't been watching her long Helen, but I do agree, she livens up the dry stuff. I wish I had "switched" on to her before.

      Delete