Tuesday, July 28, 2020

Picking Matt Up, PSWs, Shopping,

I had been mulling over how the hell I was going to go to the hospital to pick up Matt and take both walkers. As I have moaned before, our car is furthest from the entry so we both need walkers to cover the distance. I was asleep when they called me and maybe my brain was sorting it out whilst I slumbered. Anyway, having been told hospital transport would cost me $100 and they didn't think it safe to send him by cab because of his dementia, I came up with the idea of moving the basket from Matt's walker (you have to anyway, to fold them up), and then propping it up on my walker. It worked very well. I left my walker in the garage and put his in the trunk. At 3 in the morning I think I was being brilliant!!!

I apologise to the PSWs in absentia, I thought they weren't benefiting me much, I have just had to help Matt wash and dress. I cancelled the PSW for this morning when they took him to hospital last night. Just as well as we would both have had to climb out of our pits very early. But I missed him very much. I figure I got 5 hours sleep all told. Matt about the same. So we both conked out this afternoon.

Before I disappeared into the clouds of sleep, I nipped up to Victoria St. Market and got a couple of things we needed. I am quite proud of myself, I did NOT buy anything (no, I lie, bought two ears of fresh corn) but that was the only extra. I then dashed down to the bakers and picked up a load of buns I had ordered. Tomorrow, have to pick up my own groceries as Kathy is out of town. I also HAVE to get the car washed, it is covered in dust. Driving in the dark was made more difficult by the dust smears on the windshield. Yes, I washed it a few times.

Well, as I am falling asleep all over the place, I think I will post this and go to bed.

Amazing how people/companies, etc. get hold of one's emails. I got a new one today from Dairy Farmers of Ontario with this recipe which I thought sounded good. They sent me a couple of coupons too.

Avocado Pesto Bruschetta with Tre Stelle® Bocconcini

Think of this as guacamole Italian-style!

1 fresh baguette, cut into 12 1/2” slices
1 clove garlic, peeled and cut in half
2 avocados, roughly chopped
1 Tbs freshly squeezed lime juice
1/2 tsp each  salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 cup  cherry or grape tomatoes, cut into quarters
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 cup  olive oil
3 Tbs  cilantro, chopped
1 tub Tre Stelle® Bocconcini Medallions Cheese
cilantro leaves for garnish (optional)

1. Preheat oven to broil.Brush each side of bread slices with olive oil and place on a baking sheet.Broil until golden brown approximately 2 minutes per side.Remove from oven and rub with garlic clove halves.In a medium bowl mash avocados with lime juice; season with salt and pepper.In a separate medium bowl combine tomatoes, garlic, olive oil and cilantro.Spread avocado mixture onto each slice of toasted bread slices, top with a slice of Bocconcini Cheese and tomato mixture.

Yield: Makes 12 pieces

Source: Tre Stella

Have a great day, stay well, stay safe.
 

12 comments:

  1. Hi Jo - glad you were able to get Matt home safe and well ... you sound exhausted ... so take care, relax and recover ... all the best - Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, but not keen on driving at that time of the night Hilary. I was exhausted. Thanks.

      Delete
  2. I'm glad to hear Matt is home and okay but a 3:00 AM drive wouldn't have been fun. Sleep well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As you say, Jo, thank goodness for the PSWs, spanish-speaking or not! We haven't tried the corn this year yet, although there is plenty for sale right now. We boil ours for about three minutes and eat it plain, without butter or salt, and it is delicious - usually. You have to start with good corn though. Last night we passed a couple of local restaurants with patio service, on the way to our evening walk, and they were both quite busy. Once the cold weather arrives it will be a different story, won't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I miss the Spanish speaking one though. I never boil corn any more David, it is easy in the microwave and you don't have to shuck it, it does it on it's own. I eat mine plain too. Delicious. As you say, once the cold weather starts, patio service won't be fun any more.

      Delete
  4. They had you come pick him up at three in the morning? I think you managed brilliantly considering the hour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alex, I was patting myself on the back I must say.

      Delete
  5. Sounds totally irresponsible on the hospital's part to call any senior citizen and tell them to drive in the middle of the night. As I said, I would not answer the phone. What would they do about it? Not like they could send him home on his own.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, I hadn't thought of it in that light Denise, but you are right. Maybe they would have sent him by hospital transport which would have cost me. Don't have a way to mute the phone that I know of. Should check it out.

      Delete
  6. On thinking about it I have to agree with Denise. It really was quite irresponsible of the hospital and you should complain. Would they really have sent him home by hospital transport if they couldn't raise you? Seems unlikely if they wouldn't put him in a cab and had no way of knowing if there was someone at home who could look after him.

    About the phone: I've had a succession of nuisance calls recently so when I need to be uninterrupted I unplug the landline and put the mobile on silent. You should be able to do the same.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought about complaining, but with everything going on Helen, maybe they needed the bed. Certainly thoughtless of them, but...

      Never thought of that with the phone. Good idea.

      Delete