Monday, April 27, 2020

Laundry Day, Laundry Locks, Cleaning Help, Spanish,

Worked my little (I wish) butt off this Saturday morning. As I have mentioned I do the laundry then, this time I decided part way through to do the sheets at the same time. That meant 4 trips to the laundry room, there and back, for me that ends up being somewhat painful. Oh for back to normal. Then if I could get Matt taken care of, maybe I could get some of my problems taken care of. I had thought of doing a pork tenderloin recipe in the Instant Pot but decided I had done enough work for the day and as I had some Italian sausages already prepared, that's what we ended up with for supper.

One thing I haven't figured out in close on 20 years, is the lock on the laundry doors. If you go to the laundry room at 7:56 or somewhere round about, you can't get in. Dead on 8 you can. And yet it doesn't look like there is an electronic lock which unlocks all 9 floors at once. But I have never seen anyone running from floor to floor to do it. Must ask the super.

In the afternoon, Sarah came to do some housework for me. She also put the bed sheets back on for me. It occurred to me, having noticed my hair earlier, that wearing a hijab was a great way to hide bad hair. I mentioned it to Sarah and she agreed. She said it also is useful if you don't want to colour your hair. Maybe I should wear a hijab, especially at the moment. Doesn't help you men though. Turns out Sarah is originally from Pakistan. It is wonderful how she and Kathy help me.

Doing my Spanish later, I discovered some delightful, and fairly humorous little playlets which you can listen to and take part in by answering questions as you go along. Mind you they are somewhat overacted but that is to make sure you really understand the mood of the character, I suppose.

This looks delicious. Seems like one could use chicken thighs though. They are so flavoursome.

Asian Orange Chicken

A delicious citrus chicken recipe with flavors reminiscent of the orange chicken from a popular
restaurant in the mall.

Sauce:
1½ cups water
2 Tbs orange juice
¼ cup lemon juice
1/2 cup rice vinegar
2 ½ Tbs soy sauce
1 Tbs grated orange zest
1 cup packed brown sugar
½ tsp minced fresh ginger root
½ tsp minced garlic
2 Tbs chopped green onion
¼ tsp red pepper flakes
3 Tbs cornstarch
2 Tbs water

Chicken:
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
1 cup all-purpose flour
¼ tsp salt
¼ tsp pepper
3 Tbs olive oil

1. Pour 1 1/2 cups water, orange juice, lemon juice, rice vinegar, and soy sauce into a saucepan and set over medium-high heat. Stir in the orange zest, brown sugar, ginger, garlic, chopped onion, and red pepper flakes. Bring to a boil. Remove from heat, and cool 10 to 15 minutes.

2. Place the chicken pieces into a resealable plastic bag. When contents of saucepan have cooled, pour 1 cup of sauce into bag. Reserve the remaining sauce. Seal the bag, and refrigerate at least 2 hours.

3. In another resealable plastic bag, mix the flour, salt, and pepper. Add the marinated chicken pieces, seal the bag, and shake to coat.

4. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Place chicken into the skillet, and brown on both sides. Drain on a plate lined with paper towels, and cover with aluminum foil.

5. Wipe out the skillet, and add the sauce. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Mix together the cornstarch and 2 tablespoons water; stir into the sauce. Reduce heat to medium low, add the chicken pieces, and simmer, about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Servings: 4

Source: allrecipes

Have a great day
 

18 comments:

  1. Yay for Sarah. For all the Sarahs. I excpect getting into bed with clean sheets is going to feel blissful tonight.
    That sauce does look tasty.
    I am now wondering what my vegetarian self could have it with...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was Sue. No ideas what you could do with it. Tofu perhaps?

      Delete
  2. Hi Jo - glad Sarah helped you with the sheets. Well done for getting on with things ... that Orange Chicken looks delicious ... take care ... Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was a relief Hilary. It does, have to try it soon.

      Delete
  3. Miriam's hair is getting longer than I have ever seen it. Maybe a hijab is the answer! She had made masks for her hairdresser and was talking to her on the phone yesterday, but still no chance for an appointment. Strangely, she declined my offer to cut it for her with the pinking shears!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine too David. Gotta look out a scarf to use as a hijab. I wonder why Miriam would do that, cutting wth the pinking shears!!!

      Delete
  4. I don't believe a hijab could hide all the hair I have.

    That recipe sounds good. I'll have to add OJ to my shopping list tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess if you have long hair, you have to pin it up under the hijab Diane. Anyway, for you, I assume nobody can see the difference. For me, different matter. Used to have very long hair myself in my teens/early 20s. I could sit on it. but once I left home to live in an apartment, I found it a nuisance so had it cut. Never grown it back.

      I always have OJ as Matt drinks it for breakast.

      Delete
  5. There has to be a master lock somewhere for the laundry doors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think so Alex, but I looked at the lock on Saturday and it just looks like a regular lock. Will ask the Super.

      Delete
    2. I just phoned and chatted to the Super's wife Alex, no, they don't have a master lock, they have to go round the place every morning and then again every night. As she said, ridiculous these days as there are no coins any more, we use cards. She was also saying there have been a lot of break-ins lately.

      Delete
  6. I would sleep on clean sheets every night if I could. I seem to sleep even better than usual when I do. Now, I could, just lazy and rather impractical, lol. At least you got someone to help change them for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Clean sheets are nice aren't they Denise. Yes, I'm not sure she was too happy. However, she did put them on for us. He can't any more and I physically can't.

      Delete
  7. I love that you're getting the help, that's WONDERFUL. I also love that orange sauce and am moving over to my files now, for later. Thanks, Jo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is wonderful Ivy. Glad you like the sound of the sauce.

      Delete
    2. I love it. Been a long time since I've had it and I never made it before. You're giving me a small groovy collection of sauces and fun things to try. Thank you.

      Delete
    3. I just made stuffed peppers Ivy, which I was going to put in the freezer but two of them kind of fell apart so it's stuffed peppers again tonight. Pain in the you know what. Yes, a good sauce can really make a meal.

      Delete
  8. I've seem a lot of amusing pictures online of people trying to take care of their own hair. Mine needs cut, but since almost no one sees me, I don't care. Lots of gray showing through. Maybe we all do need hijabs.

    ReplyDelete