Saturday, April 11, 2020

Movie, Birds of North America, Saturday Recipe

Would you believe we just sat through The Wizard of Oz. I can't believe it was made 80 years ago, when I was one year old. In fact it was still very well done even though the changes in technology have advanced beyond all reckoning since those days. I enjoyed it, not sure about Matt although he seemed to. Another thing which surprised me today, I had gotten the American Birds Coffee Table Book out to have a look at it. Matt asked to have a look at it after and was very interested in looking at the book and not just the pictures. The book doesn't contain a lot of scientific information, it is mainly a picture book, but still, it is the most interest he has shown in anything for a while.

A week or two ago, I bought some tilapia to make a Thai curry with, however, I was out of Thai curry paste so haven't been able to make it. Today I did some Googling and found another recipe for Curried Tilapia and that's what I cooked for supper. Of course there is a stove top version, but I was only interested in the Instant Pot one. I actually split the two parts up. I made the sauce then let it stand for a while until I was ready to cook the fish.

Instant Pot Tilapia Fish Curry

Instant Pot Tilapia Fish curry is a light coconut milk based fish curry that requires very few spices
and tastes delicious with steaming hot rice. This pressure cooker Tilapia fish curry is perfect for busy nights because it gets ready in a snap in an Instant Pot.

680 gms Fresh Tilapia Fillets without skin (1.50 pounds)
2 medium onion (chopped)
1/3 cup Tomato Puree
3/4 cup Coconut Milk
1/2 Tbs Ginger Garlic Paste
1/4 tsp Turmeric Powder
1/2 tsp Paprika Powder
1/2 tsp Cumin Powder
1/2 tsp Coriander Powder
3 Tbs extra virgin coconut oil
1/4 tsp black mustard seeds (optional)
2 dried whole red chilies (optional)
Salt (to taste)

1. Press the SAUTE button on your Instant Pot & set it to NORMAL. It automatically sets for 30 mins.

2. Add coconut oil to the pot, when the oil becomes hot throw in the mustard seeds & the dried chilies. Allow them to sizzle for a few seconds.

3. Next, add the chopped onion & sweat them off. it should take you about 2 mins. Add salt to catalyze the process.

4. Now, add the ginger garlic paste & saute until raw smell of the paste disappears. It should take you another 2 mins or so.

5. Throw in all the spices + the tomato puree. Mix & saute for 1 min.

6. Add the coconut milk & little water about 1/2 cup (add more if you like very thin gravy).

7. Cancel the SAUTE mode. Close the lid of the IP, seal the valve by moving it to the SEALING position.

8. Press the PRESSURE COOK button, set the timer for 2 mins & set it on HIGH.

9. After 2 mins when the IP starts to beep. Do a QPR (quick pressure release) & open the lid. The curry sauce is ready, it’s time to add the fish.

10. Now, add the fish fillets. At this point if you feel that the gravy is not enough to hold all the fish fillets just add a little bit water or may be some more coconut milk diluted with water.

11. Close the lid of the IP. Seal the valve. Press the PRESSURE COOK button. Set the timer for 1 mins & set it to HIGH.

12. After 1 min when the IP begins to beep. Wait for NPR (natural pressure release) wait until the floating valve in your IP drops.

13. Open the lid carefully. You may garnish with cilantro & slit Indian green chilies if you want. Serve with rice. Enjoy!

Tips
IF using FROZEN TILAPIA: No need to thaw the fish, you can directly add it to the curry sauce & pressure cook it. In this case reduce the amount of water because the frozen fish will release lots of water.

Tilapia fish is very soft so DO NOT extend the 1 min pressure cooking time.

If using TILAPIA FISH STEAKS: Follow the same recipe. The NPR & the residual heat will allow the fish steaks to get fully cooked.

You may increase or decrease the coconut milk in this recipe according to your liking.

STORING SUGGESTIONS: This Instant pot tilapia fish curry stays good for 3 days in the fridge when stored in an air tight container. It’s NOT FREEZABLE.

SERVING IDEAS: Tastes best with hot white rice.

 Author: Meghna Chakraborty

Have a great day
 

20 comments:

  1. How wonderful that you found something that Matt was interested in.
    Hooray for tasty dishes prepared quickly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well he has always been interested in birds Sue. Hasn't looked at a book in years though.

      You are so right.

      Delete
  2. Hi Jo! I love that movie even more than the book. Really fun to watch.

    Love that you did it in parts and had the sauce ready when you were ready to do the fish. Very cool.

    I am new to curry what makes a paste? So far, I've had the curry spice mix, no salt from the grocery store and then a mix from the Co-Op. The Co-Op one had way, way, way more kick and fun to it. But I'm still real new to curry and never saw paste or even know what it is.

    Happy Weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, haven't watched it in years Ivy. Doing in parts made it a tad easier.

      The British are all familiar with curry, our connection with India fo rmany years. The Co-Op one sounds the better one. The grocery stores, or specialty Asian stores, sell Thai Green Curry Paste, or Red, but they actually don't have a lot of kick in them. Just taste very good.

      Delete
    2. We have curry here, Jo but for me, I just haven't had it until recently. And not the coconut stuff. Just the mix that I do my own thing with. I do however, make my own spice mixes with Paprika and garlic that looks just like a curry sauce. But being Hungarian, we don't call it that. Same idea though. Had it since childhood.

      Delete
    3. If you enjoy it, so much the better Ivy. That's all that really matters.

      Delete
    4. I think I got fungelgreek to grow this year. Not sure if that's the spelling but after these no-salt mixes are used up, I'll make my own. Better that way with the control of heat. Yum.

      The reason I never tried it before now is I don't eat chicken curry or lamb or any of that but at home, I made cauliflower curry soup. Spicy!

      Delete
    5. There are many parts of India where they are vegetarians Ivy, you should see what you can find. And its Fenugreek. If you want hot food you should get some genuine Thai recipes to look at. They are so spicy even ladydog, who can really eat spicy, couldn't handle them when she was with Thai friends in Thailand.

      Delete
  3. That is amazing about the Wizard of Oz. I can't believe how old of a movie it is! It was always a favorite of ours when it was played on TV. Seems to me it was played around Easter yearly. Such a classic of a movie!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, made just before WWII I guess Betty.

      Delete
  4. Bravo for Matt! He obviously has very fine taste if birds fired the right circuits in his brain! I mailed your mask yesterday, Jo, so as such as Canada Post gets mobile after the Easter break it will be in its way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's always loved birds David. But not touched a book in many a long year.

      Thank you, and Miriam, so much.

      Delete
  5. Hi Jo - just so glad Matt showed an interest in his birds again - that's great to know about - gives you a positive. You're always so brave with trying new dishes ... I guess I do too - but don't write about them ... just make my supper! Take care and lovely to have a mask from Miriam and David ... all the best - Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So was I Hilary. Yes, it does make a positive. I love to try new dishes in the Instant Pot as it is easy to do.

      Delete
  6. My mom was 11 when it came out. It is weird to think of this film as that old because it is so timeless. I am so glad Matt took an interest in this book. I bet it being larger than the norm makes the writing seems bigger

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Makes your mom 10 yrs. older than me. I sure don't remember the movie when it came out LOL. Yes, it is timeless, I agree. Never much liked Judy Garland except in this. Its full of wonderful bird pictures which helps I think.

      Delete
  7. Happy Easter to you and Matt, Jo, and thanks for stopping by my blog these past couple of weeks. Your support is always appreciated!!

    PS: Reading the recipe, I got confused thinking Queens Park Rangers were having their games broadcast by public radio :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mark, and you're welcome.

      Sorry, don't get it.

      Delete
  8. I love curry and made curried chicken yesterday, but now I have stains on the utensils (wooden handles). Ugh.
    I never liked the Wizard of Oz. Not even sure I have ever sat through the entire movie, even though someone gave me the DVD. I did see The Wiz when it premiered in Detroit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too Denise. I get a yellow washing up bowl and dishcloth LOL

      Each to their own I guess, I wonder if there are many people who don't like it?

      Delete