Thursday, April 9, 2020

CareMongers, Beds, Generous People, Lindt Bunnies, Bunny Rabbits, The Truth About Fat

Another day, another dollar. ladybird put me on to a group  on Facebook called CareMongering which I had to join to use. I posted a message about what I needed in the way of help and have got lots of answers and think I now have someone to help me with both.

So then I got a message that a woman and her partner wanted to buy Matt and I a meal from our favorite restaurant. I have spoken to her by phone and we have made an arrangement for a Chinese meal tonight. What a wonderful thing to do for us. Makes me want to cry, different reason from last night of course. People can be so wonderful, one forgets that when you hear of so much of the opposite from the news. No matter what I do, I can never repay people when they are so kind to me/us. Ladydog is a very good example of that. When I was ill, she stepped up to the plate and hasn't stopped doing so.

I must say I am overwhelmed. I know a lot of my internet friends would help me if they lived near me, we have made friends over the years,  but when complete strangers do such wonderful things it is so very heartwarming. Talking to them later,  after I was stuffed to the gills with Chinese food (they sent enough for two nights, whoopee no cooking tomorrow) I said rather than repay them I thought I would like to pay it forward. I know at least a couple of women in this building who don't much like cooking and thought I would like to do the same for them. They concurred. So, if you are reading this Carly, thanks so much once more.

We didn't get the beds done today, I woke late this morning and I am still yawning. Will try and get them done tomorrow instead.

Didn't mention, although I was short some items in my shopping yesterday, I did get two Lindt Bunnies each for Easter. I presently have them out of the way or Matt will devour his as soon as look at them. If he doesn't end with large chunks on his chair melted into the seat and his "seat".

I watched an interesting Nova programme tonight, The Truth About Fat. We have all the wrong concepts about fat, I know I do, very obese people really can't help it and they explained why. It also made me understand why after three weeks in hospital virtually starving, once I came home and decided food tasted OK again, I couldn't stop eating. Losing 20 lbs. that fast my body thought I was starving and was probably prompting me to eat as soon as I could do so. I have therefore been shovelling food into me since. Also there is a gene they have found which helps people who do actually have a disease and which can give them some assistance.

As you know, I think Campbell's always come up with some good recipes and this is one I may try, if I ever stop feeling stuffed again.

One-Pan Chicken Fried Rice

This one-pot version of fried rice doesn’t require cooking the rice ahead of time – it cooks right in the
skillet, absorbing all the delicious sauce, in less than 30 minutes.

1 Tbs sesame oil or vegetable oil
1 lb boneless, skinless chicken thigh (or breasts), cubed
2 green onion chopped (light and dark green parts divided)
4 cloves garlic
1 Tbs minced fresh ginger
1 carton CAMPBELL’S® 30% Less Sodium Ready to Use Chicken Broth
2 cups long grain white rice
1 cup small broccoli florets
1 cup frozen peas

1. Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Stir fry chicken 6 minutes, or until browned.

2. Add light parts of onions, garlic and ginger; stir fry for 1 minute.

3. Add broth and rice; cover with tightly fitting lid.

4. Cook over medium low heat 15 minutes or until rice is tender and all of the broth has been absorbed, adding broccoli and peas in last 3 minutes of cooking. Remove from heat.

5. Let stand, covered, 2 minutes. Remove lid; fluff with fork and sprinkle with green parts of onions.

Source
Source: Campbells

Author Notes
Drizzle on soy sauce to taste, if desired!

You can use your favourite veggies in this dish. Try peppers, mushrooms, red onion or sliced carrots instead of, or in addition to, the broccoli.


Have a great day
 

16 comments:

  1. The kindness of others is a wonderful thing. Very, very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HOORAY for Caremongers. And a huge hooray for generous people. I suspect that generosity would have made me weep - kindness does that. Paying it forward is the very best thank you as well.
    Heres to more days like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was wonderful and the food was good Sue.

      Delete
  3. Yes, Jo, people can be very kind, and we have received many offers of help, but we don't need it, and would rather their efforts be directed elsewhere, as has happened in your case. Miriam has now made and donated close to seventy-five masks. Some people have offered to pay, but she always tells them to pay it forward. She has an ETSY shop and sells many items, but she would simply not feel right about selling the masks during this time of need. Stay well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't get a mask for love nor money David, but I double checked with the Pharmacy and they still say you don't need one if you are not ill and I'm not going anywhere anyway of course.

      Delete
  4. Wow. That is really nice of them. A friend of mine was saying she would make bread but there was no yeast in the store. So I gave her some of mine, which I buy by the pound. Much cheaper that way and I would never use that much. Well, I could make bread everyday, but then I would eat it all. Bad idea.
    Hang in there. Hopefully some semblance of normal is in our future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was Denise, I was so delighted and thankful. Glad you had yeast to give her. I haven't made bread in years. Guess I wont get any Hot Cross Buns this year either.

      I'm hanging, off the walls, but I'm hanging in LOL

      Delete
  5. That's great people are helping you. I think a lot want to help, they just need to find someone they can help.
    That's why diets don't work. Your body just hangs on to the fat harder. Change what you eat and make it a habit and you'll lose weight and keep it off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it Alex, total strangers. Yes, ladydog says the same about people wanting to help.
      But apparently there is a gene which some people have or don't have which can affect their weight. It was interesting.

      Delete
  6. So glad you were able to get the help you needed Jo and even a meal in the process!! There is an incredible amount of kindness out there and I'm glad people are stepping up to the plate to give it and to receive it. I resolved to do at least one act of random kindness weekly to a complete stranger. I'm not going to say what I did but I have been able to find people to help. I know when they can they too will pay it forward and I do believe and hope the world will be a kinder place when this is all done!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I admire you for that Betty and wish you hope would come true, but I am afraid it won't.

      Delete
  7. People are so generous. We've been doing some shopping for our elderly neighbor. Her kids get her some stuff and have chastised her when she's gone out. But I always call before I go and pick up a couple things for her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They certainly can be Diane. Your neighbour's kids are right, she shouldn't be out if she is elderly. Ladydog has nagged me so much I am scared to go out LOL. Thanks on behalf of your beighbour.

      Delete
  8. We must listen to the good news and take that in because the regular news likes to talk about all the negative. I watched the ending part of tha5 program and wish I would have seen the whole thing. I felt bad for t(at man who lost all that weight only to get it all back again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true Birgit. That was a very good show. I felt sorry for him too, he put in so much effort.

      Delete