Tuesday, April 14, 2020

Banks, Batteries, Businesses,

I am not very happy with my bank right now. Some years ago I gave them a copy of the Power of Attorney to keep on file. No problem. I recently had Credit Card problems. Took forever for the replacement card to arrive, so spoke to the bank and they said I was NOT a secondary card holder but a co-signer which meant I could deal with the credit card company without reference to Matt. So yesterday I had to talk to them because my card finally arrived, but no, they insisted I had a secondary card and wanted to talk to Matt. I said he had Alzheimer's, I also said there was a Power of Attorney, etc. etc. In the end I gave Matt the phone and he answered with my prompting. The guy on the phone could hear me and said he couldn't authorise the card because he could hear my prompts so I started whispering. I also told the man to speak slowly and clearly otherwise Matt wouldn't understand. He read out some agreement about which Matt hadn't a clue, but I told him to authorise anyway. By signals that is. What a hoo ha. What a bloody nuisance. Anyway, it was all finalised in the end. Unfortunately I can't speak to the bank because due to the virus their call wait time can be up to 2 hours. Honestly, it's enough to make you jump off a bridge. I would, but it might hurt!! Just to really upset me, the guy on the phone was not born in an English speaking country. I wish places that employ them would give them elocution lessons. Even if they had a Canadian accent it would help LOL

One of my phones is not charging properly any more so I wanted to get a new battery pack. I tried phoning the company and was told the phone was so old they probably couldn't help me, but I couldn't get through to someone to speak to. Eventually I found what I needed on eBay.

Because of the new Credit Card, I had to change it with the pharmacy, so I phoned a number they had given me and waited at least half an hour, maybe longer, to get through. It sounded like the girl I eventually spoke to, was working at home. Fine, but she should ensure her family "shut up" when she is working, I was having trouble listening to her too.

I am sure my hair wasn't this white before this all started. Oh, and I even did some sewing this morning whilst I was waiting for all these calls to go through. Gosh I'm getting good. Talking of hair, we are both getting to need haircuts. I have cut my hair many times before, but Matt would never let me cut his. I wonder if he will now.

Forgot, I have been complaining about a certain person (ladydog) giving me shit if I so much as thought about putting my foot outside the door, turns out she is getting the same from her son. Payback!!

In an email I got this morning from the BBC they had lots of suggestions for leftover lamb. Sounded delicious but some of the ingredients I had never even heard of let alone had in my pantry. I wonder how many people in England would have some of this stuff either. However, I did some Googling and discovered this recipe which sounded pretty good so as I have a fairly large lump of roast lamb left, I think this will be on our menu. Actually, looking at it, I really don't see why it shouldn't be cooked in an Instant Pot.

Easy Lamb Jalfrezi

A really easy version of a curry house favourite, this Easy Lamb Jalfrezi is bursting with flavour and
only requires a few minutes of hands on time – the perfect fakeaway!

2 Tbs olive or rapeseed oil
2 onions sliced
3 garlic cloves grated or crushed
3 cm ginger grated
1 tsp chilli flakes (or to taste, or use fresh chillies, if you prefer)
2 tsp cumin seeds ground
2 tsp coriander seeds ground
2 tsp turmeric
3 tsp garam masala
1 1/4 lbs diced lamb leg
14 oz tin chopped tomatoes
Salt and pepper to taste
1 red pepper sliced
1 green pepper sliced
2 Tbs fresh coriander plus extra for garnish (optional)
Pilau rice, cauliflower rice, plain rice or naan breads to serve
Pickles and/or chutneys to serve optional

1. Preheat your oven to 180C / 160C fan/ gas mark 4 / 350F.

2. Drizzle about 2 tablespoons of oil into a large ovenproof saucepan or cast iron casserole dish. Add the onion and cook on a gentle heat, with the lid on, for about 3 minutes, until the onions are softened but not brown.

3. Add the garlic, ginger, chilli, cumin, coriander, turmeric & garam masala. Stir well and cook for 2 more minutes with the lid off. Add a splash of water if it gets too dry.

4. Next add in the lamb. Stir well to coat the meat in the onions and spices and then add the tomatoes, plus salt and pepper to taste.

5. Bring the curry to the boil and then put the lid on and put in your preheated oven for 45 minutes. After 45 minutes add the sliced green and red peppers, stir well and continue cooking in the oven for another 45 minutes (1 hour 30 in total).

6. Serve with plain boiled rice, pilau rice or Indian spiced cauliflower rice and/or naan breads

Servings: 4

Tips
I have only used one teaspoon of chilli flakes in my recipe – which results in a medium strength curry – as I like to make my food family friendly and this is about as hot as my kids can handle! However normally jalfrezi is a little hotter than this, so do put in more chilli if you like your jalfrezi hot!!

Suitable for freezing.

Source: Easy Peasy Foodie

Have a great day
 

16 comments:

  1. A huge sigh at the bank. I can well remember similar issues when I was dealing with my mother's affairs before she died.
    Smiling at ladydog's dilemma.
    We have all the ingredients for that lamb jalfrezi -except lamb.
    I am working from home tonight (supervisory shift for the crisis line) and will make very sure that there is no noise to distract the callers (or me).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tell me about it Sue. They don't seem to be communicating with one another.
      Yes, but at least you have all the ingredients, the BBC stuff was ridiculous, I thought.
      Yes, do make sure everyone is quiet. It was awful.

      Delete
  2. Your lamb is already cooked. Why would you put it back in the oven? Maybe I am dim?
    I was thinking of going to Costco when they open at 8 for seniors. My friend went and she said no one was in the store. Don't tell the kids.
    Customer assistance at most companies is ridiculous. One card told me that one of my sons is a co-owner on my card not an added signer so I cannot remove him. I am pretty sure I never made a teenager a co-owner, but I have just left the card like that for the last 20 years. Too much hassle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought the same Denise, I figured I would make the sauce, in the Instant Pot and then add the lamb at the end to warm through. Interesting about Costco, wonder if it's the same here. It is ridiculous about cards. Stupid idiot - I told him Matt had Alzheimer's but he insisted he had to talk to him. Maybe he doesn't know what that illness is. Luckily Matt can still talk to them but he hasn't a clue what it's about.

      Delete
  3. Once this mess is over, see if you can get everything settled with the bank so you don't have to do that again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I thought I had Alex, but every time something like this crops up, they begin it again. No, not going to change banks, been with this one for 40 some years.

      Delete
  4. Life can be frustrating and dealing with officialdom makes it so much worse. I know it drives me crazy and I neither have cognitive impairment (Miriam might disagree) nor do I have to deal with someone who does. And those interminable waits on the phone can drive me totally bonkers. Have a nice day, dear!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sure can David. Damn, I just signed out, another frustration. Should I check that statement with Miriam? They definitely drive me bonkers.

      Thanks. You too.

      Delete
  5. That once happened to me years ago with a phone call about our joint credit card. I told the person on the other end of the phone that my name was Michael and could deal with the issue. You might try that next time. Just say your name is Matt. Who are they to know differently?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True Jan, never really thought of that. I know all the details anyway.

      Delete
  6. What a pain! I need to make sure Craig and I are listed on all of our bank accounts, as we have 3 checking and 2 savings with 2 different banks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think a lot of the trouble is that some of the clerks are working from home and many more people are calling in for one reason or another. Always pays to check it out though Diane, if you can get through of course LOL

      Delete
  7. It is frustrating dealing with someone over the phone who you have trouble understanding. I dealt with that at my former company when IT Support was in India. Even with the training there was still communication issues at times. Glad you did get your card eventually authorized. Really in these times there should be a little "mercy" given, know what I mean?

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, I know what you mean Betty. But in some ways it's worse, maybe because there are so many people running scams out there. A lot of companies sent their IT support to India. Trouble was they were very good, if you could figure out what they were talking about.

      Delete
  8. Payback! You're funny. Is there any way for you to just get your own card? I dunno. I hate credit cards but for you, is there a way to get your own?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, yes Ivy, I used to have my own, but they gave me a very minimal credit limit so I stopped it. They may have changed that these days, women are considered less risky now, I suppose. Actually, it's a good idea for if one becomes a widow. I like credit cards because I do not pay interest on them and earn back close on $400 a year.

      Delete