Friday, April 24, 2020

Funnies, Relaxing Lockdown, TV,

Denise Hammond at My Life in Retirement published some funnies this morning. One of which was a statement that in 4 weeks, 88% of blondes will disappear.

I am really concerned about the areas who are going to be relaxing the lockdown restrictions. Especially if  cinemas and theatres are allowed to re-open. Elective surgeries, maybe, but otherwise! That's a silly phrase, elective, who basically elects to have surgery? (I'm not talking about cosmetic stuff) maybe non-life threatening surgery, but elective??? I am due for some of that. I have a hip problems and I think I might have knee problems too. Not forgetting the blocked veins which are stopping my legs from working properly anyway.

Did it again, didn't I. I always enjoy watching Inspector Morse on TV and I always forget to do both my blog and Spanish lessons beforehand with the result that it's close on 11 now. Not much going on at the moment to write about anyway.

Many of you know just how much I love dumplings. This is a recipe I posted a while back which I thought I would share again.I haven't made dumplings myself in a couple of years, not since before I went into hospital. Of course I can buy them from the grocery store these days and they are pretty good.

Chinese Pork Dumplings

When I was growing up, my family made dumplings together every Sunday morning. It's a
wonderfully interactive way to start the day. Dumplings are economical and simple to make and they taste especially great with the family by your side

FOR THE DUMPLINGS
1/2 medium green cabbage, roughly chopped
salt
1/2 tsp grated ginger
1 large clove garlic, finely chopped
1/2 cup finely chopped scallions
1/2 cup chopped garlic chives (optional)
3 oz peeled shrimp, deveined and chopped
1/2 lb ground pork
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/2 tsp sesame oil
Freshly ground black pepper
1 package dumpling wrappers
2 Tbs Vegetable oil

FOR THE DIPPING SAUCE
1/4 cup soy sauce
3 Tbs Rice vinegar
1 tsp thinly sliced scallion white
1 pinch toasted sesame seeds

1. The filling: Place the cabbage in a food processor, add 1/2 teaspoon salt, and pulse until finely chopped but not puréed. Wrap the chopped cabbage in a clean kitchen towel and squeeze to remove juices, then transfer to a large bowl. Add ginger, garlic, scallions, and, if desired, garlic chives. Add the shrimp and pork and season with 1/4 cup soy sauce, sesame oil, and salt and pepper. Mix together by hand.

2. Taste the filling by poaching or frying a small amount, and adjust seasonings to taste. To prepare the dipping sauce, combine soy sauce, rice vinegar, scallions, and toasted sesame seeds in a small bowl.

3. To wrap, place 1 tablespoon of filling into the center of a dumpling wrapper. Wet the wrapper's edges, then fold in half to form a taco-like shape. Make a pleat on the side facing you about 20 degrees from the apex of the half-circle and seal with your fingers to the back of the skin. Repeat on the other quarter, in mirror fashion, and seal the dumpling completely, trying to eliminate any air pockets. Repeat until all filling is used.

4. To pan fry, heat oil in a large, nonstick pan over high heat. Add the dumplings in one layer so that they do not overlap. Add water to come halfway up the dumplings, and cover the pan. Reduce the heat to medium-high and cook until all water is evaporated and the bottoms are browned and crispy, about 10 minutes. Alternatively, the dumplings can be steamed until cooked through, about 5 minutes in a steam basket.

5. Transfer the dumplings to a plate and serve with a dipping sauce.

Servings: 4

Author: ANITA LO

Have a great day, stay well.
 

13 comments:

  1. There is talk of some gradual moves to reopen things here. Theatres, bars, cinemas are not included. Which is just fine by me. I would much rather be safe than sorry.
    I have never been a blond but am increasingly becoming a shaggy dog story. A hair cut will be very nice when it is possible.
    I think I have only had dumplings once or twice in my life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad it is only some things Sue. Us too, we both need haircuts.

      Really? I love dumplings especially when it is New Year's in China as they have a dumpling festival at Mandarin.

      Delete
  2. Thank for the mention, Jo.
    The two big hospitals here are laying off admin and others and say elective surgeries are down. I already have decided that my colonoscopy can wait another year. But my friend had her breast cancer surgery with no worries about COVID-19. But my cousin told her doctor she was in no hurry to have a growth removed from her foot.
    After I heard that the first two nursing home patients in Washington had no exposure to the virus and still were sick, it makes you wonder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome Denise. Elective surgeries are down? I can't believe that. Maybe people haven't gone to their doctors because of the virus.
      Presumably someone had exposure.

      Delete
  3. The biggest issue with store bought dumplings is the sheer volume of sodium they contain. That's probably why they taste so good. But I stay away from them. Last night for dinner I made mushroom lemon chicken, which we had with a rice that has soy sauce, onion soup mix, mushrooms, and other stuff. I forget it's real name. The recipe was originally given to us by a friend named Jill, and it has been known as "Jill's Rice" ever since. We had a little three bean salad left so we had that too. Dessert, which we rarely eat, was strawberries, pear and cantaloupe - a fruit salad, I guess. Afterwards, I was stuffed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I need salt otherwise I don't taste much. I have anosmia. Your dinner sounds good.

      Delete
  4. Arizona is starting elective surgeries on May 1st. A lot of orthopedic doctors will be happy I would imagine and a lot of hips and knees will be replaced which will make patients dealing with pain happy I'm hoping we will have a gradual reopening starting May 1st but our governor hasn't decided if he is going to extend the stay at home order beyond April 30th when it expires.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would like some surgery like that Betty but even if such laws were relaxed round here, I still wouldn't be able to leave Matt. I hope it works for Arizona. Not sure it isn't still a tad early from all the news reports.

      Delete
  5. Hashanah on the blondes.

    No movie house for us and so far, none are opening in my village. Even if they did open, I have no interest at this time. Plenty of garden work to be done and we can watch movies on our big screen.

    I am sorry that you hurt and ache. Not fun. Have you ever considered a change in diet to reduce swelling and pain?

    I love veggie dumplings, been forever since I had them. Yum.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't been to the movies in years Ivy. Matt always found it too loud so we didn't go. Went a couple of times with friends. I don't have swelling and I am not sure what I would change my diet to anyway.

      Dumplings of any kind for me. Yum.

      Delete
    2. Too loud for me too. I have to wear noise canceling headphones when I go.

      Delete
    3. I found it too loud at the beginning but got used to it withing a few minutes Ivy.

      Delete
  6. I always had a problem with that term, elective surgery. Like you, to me elective would mean cosmetic not things like joint surgeries.
    Don't know why, but I've never really like dumplings.

    ReplyDelete