Wednesday, April 29, 2020

Alzhemer's Discussion Group, Sunshine, Cooking,

Just took part in a online discussion with a group of spouses who's partners have Alzheimer's.  Couple of the people are part of my coffee group and the others were all new to me. It was hosted by one of the social workers from Alzheimer's Society. It was interesting all the different problems people have and how they deal with them. I think I am lucky in some respects, not in all though. We are going to have another get together next month.

I mentioned that I was learning Spanish and one of the group immediately said "dos cervezas por favor" funny how everyone knows that phrase. (In case you don't, it means 2 beers please. I rarely drink beer, don't much like the stuff, but it is nevertheless one of the first phrases I learnt many years ago.

I threw some lunch down my throat, well sort of, and in a minute have to go do some cooking for supper and for the freezer. Might have a short zizz first. Never did have a nap, got cramps in one calf and it kept twitching on and off. One thing I did do again was to go out on the balcony for a while. I just got nicely settled in a chair ready to soak up some warm sun, and it was warm, when the clouds decided to obscure it. Grrr.

Later, I made four stuffed peppers to cook in the Instant Pot. I have done this a few times and it is great for freezing. So, not sure why today, but when I tried to take them out of the Pot, two of them kind of collapsed so much to my annoyance, we had those for supper this evening. Actually, they tasted fine, just not firm. I have changed the timing on my recipe now as I don't think they need to sit in the Pot whilst they are finishing off.

I first came across Satay recipes in a Weight Watcher's cookbook from yonks ago only that was for pork. I have always enjoyed such dishes and here is one I thought looked good today.

Chicken Satay

Delicious chicken satay or grilled chicken skewers marinated with spices and served with peanut
sauce. Easy, authentic and the best chicken satay recipe you'll find online!

2 lbs boneless and skinless chicken thigh and leg meat
Bamboo skewers, soaked in cold water for 2 hours
1 cucumber, cut into small pieces
1 small onion, quartered
oil, for basting

Chicken Satay Marinade:
3 Tbs oil
2 stalks lemongrass, white parts only
2 cloves garlic, peeled
6 small shallots or pearl onions, peeled
2 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp coriander powder
1 tsp chili powder
1/2 Tbs salt or more to taste
2 Tbs sugar or honey

1. Cut the chicken meat into small cubes. Set aside.

2. Blend all the he Marinade ingredients in a food processor. Add a little water if needed.

3. For the chicken satay dipping sauce, please click here: satay peanut sauce recipe.

4. Combine the chicken and the Marinade together, stir to mix well. Marinate the chicken for 6 hours in the fridge, or best overnight. When ready, thread 3-4 pieces of the chicken meat onto the bamboo skewers.

5. Grill the chicken satay skewers for 2-3 minutes on each side until the meat is fully cooked and the surface is nicely charred, on both sides. Baste and brush with some oil while grilling. Serve hot with peanut sauce the fresh cucumber pieces and onions.

 Author: Bee
Source: Rasa Malaysia

Have a great day, stay safe, stay well.
 

12 comments:

  1. I am really glad that your online discussion group went well - and hope you have found some new friends.
    Cramps are a beast aren't they? I have been woken shrieking more than once.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it will be interesting to see how it progresses Sue. Another meeting scheduled for next month.

      Me too.

      Delete
  2. Hi Jo - glad you were able to have your 'get-together' ... all the best in the coming week - the chicken sounds delicious. Take care - Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was good to talk to people in a similar situation Hilary. Thanks.

      Delete
  3. It is good that you get some support from others with the same issues. It has to be very stressful for you.
    It got warm here yesterday, but I decided to stay indoors and rest my back. Now, today, it is raining, so....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is Denise. You should have placed yourself so your back was in the sun, I find warmth helps my back tremendously.

      Delete
  4. Glad you had a chance to go out onto the balcony, Jo. Even if the clouds spoiled the occasion a tad, at least you got some outdoor air! At one point here it was sixteen degrees yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, keep hoping we will get some regular sunshine David. I do have the balcony window open but actually going outside is good. Didn't know it got that high yesterday. Amazing.

      Delete
  5. You have the best recipes. That chicken looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I like to eat Melissa. One look at my hips would tell you that. I have gained considerably since I came out of hospital - result of virtual starvation I guess.

      Delete
  6. Those online discussion groups are helping a lot of people to feel less isolated. It's cloudy here every day and all the warmth goes with the disappearance of the sun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They certainly do, especially those isolated with spouses who have dementia Susan. It is gradually getting a bit warmer here.

      Delete