Wednesday, April 1, 2020

Too Many Recipes, Shopping, c-19, Exercise. Burghley House.

I just got a bunch, 40, of recipes for chicken thighs, I started to look through them, but sorry, 40 recipes is too many. Not really necessary in this day and age. Send a couple now and then a couple tomorrow, etc. Not all of  them at once. Anyway there is one of them below which looked pretty good, mind you, all the ones I looked at looked pretty good.

I wasn't too happy with my shopping today, I didn't get a lot of things I ordered and I know darn well, I phoned, that most of the things were in the store. Then I also got charged double for one item. Not really their fault, the kids who do the PC Express haven't got time to think they are so busy. Anyway, I need to get my rear end down there and get the missing items.

It is getting old isn't it? The news is inundated with bad items, very little hopeful. I honestly believe North America is suffering from hype. Not that I am not taking precautions you understand, I could be wrong - no surely not.

I can't believe it is April already. To me February was as long as two months and now March seems to have flown by. Many of you who are not used to being stuck at home probably don't feel that way, but spring is on it's way and, as I have already mentioned and probably will again, asparagus is also on its way.

A bowling friend called me this aft. It was nice to have a little chat. We are both feeling the lack of bowling, he was due to be in a biggish tournament in April, it is postponed of course. Not only that I need to do some exercise of some kind but I just don't have the discipline. Tonight I cooked 13 Bean soup. Originally bought the beans from Amazon, guess what, they are out of stock. Not only that, I really need to do some exercises but I just don't have the discipline to make myself do them.

Last night (Monday) we watched a programme about Stately Houses in Britain. They started with BurghleyHouse built for Sir William Cecil who was Lord High Treasurer to Elizabeth 1. They figured that in modern currency, the place would have cost £1.8 billion to build. It was an absolutely fascinating programme and it is an absolutely fascinating house. Sir William didn't employ and architect but designed it all himself. His descendants fill the place with absolutely marvellous art, one of them virtually bankrupted himself, and another descendent employed Capability Brown (one of the top garden designers of his time) to landscape the grounds. Sadly, Sir William was expecting his queen to visit but illness in the house prevented her from doing so and then he died before she could plan to visit again. However, many, many years later, Queen Victoria paid a kind of honeymoon visit which took them a year to plan for and cost them a few pennies at the same time. There is a beautiful and very ornate bedroom which was just for her and her new husband Prince Albert. I had never heard of the house before so I will make sure and watch future episodes of this programme. Another interesting feature, it was the first time people had built houses instead of castles and the place was full of glass windows, virtually heard of at the time.

Tarragon Chicken with Spring Greens

This aromatic chicken cooked with arugula, watercress and romaine lettuce makes a great one-skillet
meal.

2 Tbs unsalted butter
1 Tbs canola oil
8 chicken thighs (6 ounces each)
Salt Freshly ground pepper
5 oz baby arugula, cut into ribbons
1 head of romaine lettuce, cut into ribbons
1 bunch of watercress— thick stems discarded, the rest coarsely chopped
1 leek, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced crosswise
3 Tbs finely chopped tarragon
1 tsp caraway seeds
3/4 cup dry white wine
1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
4 oz crème fraîche
Steamed rice, for serving

1. Preheat the oven to 425°. In a large, deep ovenproof skillet, melt the butter in the oil over high heat. Season the chicken with salt and pepper and cook skin side up until browned, about 8 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a platter; pour off most of the fat in the skillet.

2. Add the arugula, romaine, watercress, leek, tarragon and caraway seeds to the skillet and cook, tossing, until slightly wilted, 2 minutes. Add the wine and bring to a boil. Cook until reduced by half, 5 minutes. Stir in the broth and crème fraîche.

3. Nestle the chicken thighs into the greens, skin side up. Transfer the skillet to the middle of the oven and roast for 30 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through. Turn on the broiler and broil the chicken for 5 minutes, until the skin is golden. Serve the chicken and greens with rice.

Servings: 4

Author: GRACE PARISI
Source: Food and Wine



Have a great day

16 comments:

  1. I do love seeing through England's Stately Homes. I suspect they were luxurious for their owners and guests and a HEAP of hard work for the staff.
    I like the gardens designed by Capability Brown that I have seen as well.
    I also need to up the exercise ante. I may try and do more in the garden but we have very welcome rain forecast for the next few days. The longer I put it off, the harder it will get.
    I hope the impact of the virus has been overhyped, but fear that it hasn't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They can be absolutely fascinating. Even Matt was interested in this one. Capability Brown really was a marvel. I know, this exercise business is a pain. I believe it is but....

      Delete
  2. I have wondered...if they would create a clock with the number of people catching and dying of the regular flu, would it be just as anxiety causing? What scares me about this virus is that it seems to be so easy to catch. So, you better be careful. And going to the store probably won't do you any good. If your stores are looking like ours did last week, the shelves are bare. I went Sunday for a few things and the shelves were restocked. Once the panic subsides, it will be easier. But stay safe and don't talk to strangers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think so Liz. Like I said, I don't even remember the last pandemic, there wasn't this fuss about it. I am careful but I need bananas if nothing else. I don't see any strangers these days LOL

      Delete
  3. Most of the stories I have heard about online shopping have been nightmarish in one way or another. Thank goodness I am still able to shop in person, and yesterday I went to the Poultry Place and topped up all our chicken supplies. This morning I will do a Costco run, then other than for fresh produce and fruit here and there, we should be set for two to three weeks. I am still able to get out and walk - yesterday in an area where I go birding, and did not see another person - so, in reality, other than not socializing with friends, life continues without a great deal of difficulty. Miriam rarely goes out any more, however. Yesterday I received three books I ordered so I opened the packaging and immediately tossed it into the garage, then I set the books aside and washed my hands very thoroughly and will not touch them for a couple of days. That is how life has changed, I suppose. I have never in my entire life received books and not looked at them! i can hardly wait!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It used to work beautifully before this pandemic David. I was very happy about it.

      Can't you wipe the books with a disinfectant cloth?

      Delete
  4. It is NOT over hype. Don't go out. I'll find a way to get you what you need.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are just as vulnerable as the rest of us oldies. I won't be in the store for more than a few minutes. AND I will keep my distance.

      Delete
  5. That recipe sounds lovely. Glad you are taking the necessary precautions. Stay safe, Grandma Dragon! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks David. Your blurb is in tomorrow's blog. Looking forward to reading the book.

      Delete
  6. The news is fueling the fear and panic. However, the threat is very real. Don't go out unless you absolutely have to. I mean it! Listen to Ladydog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is Alex, and as for going out, I wouldn't dare. I don't know what she would do to me LOL. At least you aren't local.

      Delete
  7. I just got an email with 40 ways to use chickpeas. Shall I forward it, lol?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No thanks Denise, I have it. Only thing is, I don't have any chickpeas - do you? I can't get my 13 Bean mix either.

      Delete
  8. You need to find some very low-impact exercises you can do right there in the apartment.

    And I have fussed out my elderly neighbor for going out (as have all of her kids) and I am fussing you now. DO NOT go out. You DO NOT want to catch this virus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I know all the exercises we do in the classes held here Diane, not only that, the people who run the exercises have sent me the pictures of how to do them.

      Gosh, there are a lot of bossy people around. No, I won't go out, well not until asparagus season.

      Delete