Tuesday, April 21, 2020

Car, Cash, Asparagus, Owls, Supper,

So most of the day I have been singing my little song

You drive 16 miles and what do you get
Another day older and deeper in debt.
St. Peter don't you call me, 'cos I can't go
I owe my soul to the Meineke store..

Finally the garage phoned and said they had been unable to find any reason for steam to be coming out of the car, however, they did find a couple of other problems, a leak in the transmission pan and a hole in the muffler. Of course, how could I escape without something. However, Bob, who runs the place, assured me the car would be ready before they closed (4:00 because of Covid-19). The phone rang and I answered "Debtor's Prison" Bob laughed and said that was awful. He told me the cab was on it's way. I grabbed Matt's walker (easier to put in the trunk than mine) and went to wait for the cab. And wait. Eventually he arrived. Forgot to mention, I checked the mail whilst waiting and was delighted to receive a mask which had been made for me by David Gascoigne's partner. Pretty with birds on, surprise, surprise. Got to the garage and discovered my bill was about $70 less than quoted so I was pleased about that. I had thought of going to Victoria St. Market but I was somewhat tired after collecting the car. Just as well, Matt was beginning to worry.

Funny, when Kathy bought me some bananas last week, I wrapped four of them in a dark plastic bag and put them in the fridge. They keep really well that way and when we ate a couple today, they were delicious. Whilst taking two bananas out of the bag, I discovered a $5 bill, and then a quarter. I messaged Kathy thinking it was her money, turned out it was a refund for an item I had been charged for but not received last week. Hey, I'm rich.

It was a nice sunny day for a change today but not very warm. We opened the patio door for a while but there was quite a chilly breeze coming in. I really, really, want some nice sunshine - why you ask? for the asparagus of course. This year it has been doing OK for rain I think, but we "ain't had no sun." Cab't remember if I mentioned that I spoke to the asparagus farmer and he said they were going to do it in a kind of line where you could get bags of asparagus put in your trunk and all the bags would be $10 worth. I checked and I could get more than one or two bags which I can then split up when I get home for my friends in the building who only want a $5 bag. Any left over, guzzle guts (me) will deal with.

Tomorrow I am joining a phone group session on Owls, just after lunch, looking forward to it. Not sure how it works. Think I just phone a specific number, punch in a code I have been given and then listen. Not like the Alzheimer group who are doing sessions using Zoom so we can all see each other and talk.

I was so tired tonight, I had forgotten I had some flank steak left over from the other day, but when I remembered, I did sautéed cabbage and sliced the beef. Followed by some Dutch Chocolate ice cream. It was good and fairly easy for me to do. Tomorrow I think I will do Butter Chicken. Also pretty easy to do. I am looking for easy right now. I sleep lots, but don't seem to get rested.

I posted this recipe quite a few years ago but thought it sounded so good I would look into making it again. I notice with some of the older recipes, there are things I would now do in the Instant Pot but didn't know anything about that when I published recipes then.

Coconut Shrimp Summer Rolls

"A tropical, drool-worthy mash-up of sweet, crispy shrimp and refreshing summer rolls."

FOR DIPPING SAUCE
5 oz apricot jam
1/4 cup crushed pineapple
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes

FOR COLESLAW
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup olive oil
1/2 cup chopped scallion
1/2 cup cilantro
1 garlic clove
1 pinch salt
2 limes, juiced
1/2 cup sour cream
1 cup chopped green cabbage
1 1/2 cups chopped purple cabbage

FOR COCONUT SHRIMP
12 shrimp
3 oz beer
2 eggs
1/2 cup milk
1 cup flour
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
5 oz coconut flakes
6 sheets rice paper

 To Make Dipping Sauce:.

. In a bowl, combine apricot jelly, crushed pineapple, apple cider vinegar and red pepper flakes.

. To Make Coleslaw:.

 In a food processor, add water, olive oil, scallions, cilantro, garlic, salt and lime juice. Pulse until combined.

 Then add sour cream and pulse again.

. In a bowl, add chopped green and purple cabbage.

 Drizzle olive oil mixture over the cabbage and mix well.

To Make Coconut Shrimp:.

 In a bowl, whisk beer, egg, milk, flour, baking powder, and salt.

 Dip peeled, headless shrimp in the batter.

Then coat with coconut flakes.

 Fry the breaded shrimp in hot oil until the coconut flakes are golden bown.

 Place shrimp on a drying rack over a sheet tray to allow the excess oil to drip off. Let cool.

 Assembling the Roll:.

On a sheet of moistened rice paper, place a scoop of coleslaw in the middle, edge of the paper (think of it as about 1/3 in from the edge). Then roll and fold until the top of the coleslaw is covered by the rice paper.

After the shrimp cools down and excess oil drips off onto the rack, place two shrimp on the roll

Source: Food.com

Have a great day - stay well, stay safe, stay home.

 

10 comments:

  1. At last your luck is turning around. A repair bill cheaper than quoted is almost unheard of. Love the money rattling around with your bananas. Miriam does exceptional work and I am sure that mask is functional as well as beautiful.
    Fresh asparagus? Bonus.
    I hope the Owls call goes well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You reckon Sue? I hope you are right, I could certainly do with some good luck. She does doesn't she? No asparagus on the horizon just yet, not enough sun. The earliest they ever started selling was April 26 and the weather must have been really good. Will let you know about the owls.

      Delete
  2. Hi Jo - glad it wasn't a horrific bill ... and that change was nice - a few dollars for a little something. Take care ... Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  3. The outdoor thermometer said 52 F yesterday, but when I opened the door it was cold outside. The real feel was 43 because of the wind. We haven't had a nice day for two weeks. Rain and clouds just add to the malaise.
    Glad you got the car and it was no biggie. Got an email from the local tire store about how they are coping, so they are open.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Think it was the same here Denise, one temperature but real feel much lower. Been the same here. Did get some sun yesterday but it was cold. Odd the stores that are open. Hear some States are going to relax the isolation laws???

      Delete
  4. Miriam is my partner in life to be sure, Jo, but she is my wife. She didn't change her name when we got married.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OK David, I didn't know and didn't want to make a gaffe. These days so many people don't bother to marry.

      Delete
  5. I love that the bill was seventy smackers less. And finding money to boot. Good deal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too Ivy. Both for the bill and the $5 bill.

      Delete