Thursday, April 2, 2020

401, Cleaner, Bananas, Book, Noodles Asparagus,

David Gascoigne, on Travels with Birds, posted some pictures on his blog from his recent trip to Long Point which is on Lake Erie, (famous for birding) showing the 401 which is one of the busiest, if not the busiest in Canada, it is usually bumper to bumper and absolutely appalling to travel on if you want to get somewhere in a hurry. When David drove on it a few days ago, it was totally empty. He said there were a few trucks travelling on it. I couldn't believe his pictures of the totally empty road. As I said to him, it reminded me of the main route running north and south in Portugal which is a fabulous road to drive on. Very few cars from one end to the other and the surface is perfect.

Well, my neighbour who was considering cleaning my house for me phoned today and said she was not going to do so at the moment. She would contact me again when this virus business was over. So, I guess I will have a dirty house now. I can't physically manage to clean. I am hoping Matt and I can re-make the beds between after washing the sheets. If it's too hard, we might end up with dirty beds too.

I got into trouble with ladydog today, I was planning to go to the store to get some bananas and she said under no circumstances was I to go out and I was treating this whole thing with a British stiff upper lip. She arranged for me to get some bananas today and more in a couple of days. Thanks ma'am. Ought I to salute to indicate my compliance. Actually at one point we had a damned good laugh about it all. But I did appreciate her organising it for me and her niece for making sure I got them. I worry about it because every time I don't eat bananas, I end up with worse cramps than I get with them. There is nothing wrong with my potassium levels, but I still get cramps very easily.

I didn't know I had so many bossy friends: in the comments yesterday I had people telling me not to go out. However, I just told ladydog I will be going to the asparagus farm come hell or high water. In fact, the farmer, Tim Barrie, is already selling stuff under quarantine conditions and other than that I wouldn't be seeing anyone

A very good friend of mine, David Powers-King, just released a book today and I have just bought it as it is right up my street, a dragon story.

"A princess. A dragon. Their quest.

Terrible things happen whenever Princess Celesia falls in love—she blacks out and attacks her suitors, which makes an alliance with a more powerful nation impossible. Believing that she’s cursed, Celesia is given two choices: marry without love, or be responsible for her kingdom’s demise. Instead, she sneaks off in search of a remedy.

She doesn’t make it far when she encounters a dragon who bears a curse of his own—he is a prince, desperate to reclaim his humanity before the dragon takes over. He's heard of a stone that can lift both of their curses, but neither of them can find it alone, and they’re not the only ones after it. An evil alchemist is intent on using it to steal the land’s magic and dominate the realm. Only together, with the help of an even greater magic, can Celesia and the dragon stop this evil, or be bound forever by their curses."

Another thing I didn't get in my grocery order was spicy oriental noodles. I probably shouldn't eat them but.......... I have them at lunchtime now and again, So, nothing loath, I Googled it and this was the recipe I found. I made them for my lunch today, doesn't take long, didn't have sriracha so used a very hot Tabasco I have, can't remember what pepper it uses right now. I need to look up one that has a soup with it although I did enjoy this. Also I cut back on the amount of sauce because it's only for me. Have enough for tomorrow too. By the way, I cooked the spaghetti in the Instant Pot. Just shove it in and forget it til it's done.

20 Minute Spicy Thai Noodle Bowls

These 20 minute Thai noodle bowls are so easy to whip up! They're packed full of sweet and spicy
Thai flavor!

¼ cup vegetable or canola oil
1 ½ tsp sesame oil
5 Tbs soy sauce
2 tsp rice vinegar
½ tsp Sriracha (more to taste)*
¼ cup peanut butter
2 Tbs honey
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 green onion, minced
½ red bell pepper, thinly sliced
1 carrot, julienned
? cup cilantro, chopped
½ cup dry roasted peanuts (I used Planters), chopped and whole
¼ tsp crushed red pepper flakes
2 Tbs sesame seeds

1. Meanwhile, in a small mixing bowl, combine the vegetable oil, sesame oil, soy sauce, rice vinegar, Sriracha, peanut butter, honey, minced garlic and minced green onion. Whisk vigorously until smooth.

2. Drain the noodles and return to the same large pot. Add the sauce, red bell pepper, carrot, cilantro, peanuts, crushed red pepper flakes and sesame seeds. Toss until combined, serve and garnish as desired.

3. Add more Sriracha if you like spicier noodles!

Yield: 6-8

Source: Life Made Simple

Have a great day
 

12 comments:

  1. I love that Ladydog gave you the what for. Good on her. What a great friend. Love the recipe you shared though I won't eat anything from Planters, I do have other nuts here to use. And I LOVE SPICY NOODLES. Very cool on the book from your friend. Neato!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm getting it from all sides now Ivy. I love Spicy Noodles.

      Delete
  2. I started this comment a while ago and the PC crashed and took encouragement to reboot.
    Thank you (and drat you) for alerting me to The Dragon's Heart. I am a sucker for books in general AND dragons.
    I am glad that your bossy friends are looking out for you. And more sorry than I can say that yet another cleaner has fallen through.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Computer troubles, oy vey!! I am the same, wait til Susan Gourley Kelley's books come out, there will be 3 books with dragons. I have just proofed 2 of them and am nagging her to get the third one written.
      Actually got a message from my first cleaner saying she hadn't intended to quit, just to "stay home". So maybe she will come back when it's all over. Meanwhile...... sneeze.

      Delete
  3. Hi Jo - David's post was lovely to look at. I too was ticked off by my goddaughter! Good luck with all you need to do ... take care and all the best - and yes ... I'm not sure what'll happen with our asparagus ... it's a few days away, especially as the temps are going up this weekend ... look after yourselves ... Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope the book will be as lovely to read. Glad I am not the only one being ticked off. Asparagus will grow no matter what we think.

      Delete
  4. Thanks for the link to my blog, Jo. I am sure that Ladydog has only your best interests at heart. I bought bananas at Costco yesterday, and got gas there at 59.9 cents per litre. They seem to have run out of stuff like hand sanitizer, disinfectant, wipes, and the like, but I didn't need those items and got everything else on my list. They had a great deal on back ribs, so we'll have sticky fingers after dinner tonight. Good luck with changing the bed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh she does, I know David. Ladydog wouldn't let me go near Costco LOL. I am getting low on TPs - 59.9 cents, who would have thought it would ever get so low again. Nobody driving I guess. Unfortunately Matt doesn't enjoy ribs although I do.

      Delete
  5. Good, you better not be going out to the stores! Suck it up and stay put.
    If we get some peanuts, we could make that dish.
    Our roads are not deserted but they have at least seventy-five percent less traffic on them during the day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes sir. Getting it from all directions aren't I?
      Actually I didn't bother with the nuts. Don't keep peanuts but I do keep cashews which I might have used.
      75% less is a good reduction Alex.

      Delete
  6. Thanks for the shout-out, Jo! Glad arrangements were made to get those bananas, we couldn't find any a month ago. Stay safe! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your'e welcome David. Yes, I didn't realise they were as scarce as toilet paper. People are going bonkers.

      Delete