Saturday, April 25, 2020

Cooking, Help,




I'm not too sure I should be blogging right now, I am somewhat down in the dumps. My aches and pains have really been bothering me but I am still having to work my butt off somehow. I decided to make some bean soup today to give us meals in the freezer for when I really can't.  It was a kind of combination between a recipe I already had and my invention. Tastes pretty good and I have enough for 3 meals for the pair of us.

I have some peppers in the fridge which I am planning to stuff asap. They too freeze very well and make a quick, easy meal. Not sure when I will get round to that though. I just seem to be on the go all the time. I take a lot longer these days. Sitting at the dining table to chop stuff doesn't help. It is much easier to end up with stuff on the floor.

Tomorrow I have Sarah, who volunteers to help me with housework, coming in the afternoon. In the morning I do my washing. Not sure why I ended up doing it on Saturday morning but it seems to work as nobody else wants to theirs at that time.

For supper we ended up having a recipe for Shrimp and Sugar Snap Peas. The taste was good, but there was too much liquid, I would adjust that in future if I do it again. I would probably at least leave out the pasta water. The sauce was delicious mind you, but way too much of it. Of course I cooked the pasta in the instant pot. Of course it calls for chili oil so I ended up using Gochujang. I still have the fresh Basil I posted a pic of before, but it is beginning to wilt a tad in places.

Shrimp and Sugar Snap Peas

Recipe By:EAKE
"Quick and easy pasta dish with a little bite that will make anyone look like a gourmet chef. Adjust
the chili oil to your own spice level."

Ingredients


  • 1 (16 ounce) package uncooked linguini pasta
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 teaspoon chili oil
  • 1 1/2 pounds medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
  • 1 pound sugar snap pea pods
  • 2 large cloves garlic, minced
 
  • 1 1/2 cups dry white wine
  • 1/4 cup reserved pasta water
  • 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
  • 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
  • 1/3 cup chopped fresh basil

Directions

  1. Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add linguini pasta, and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until al dente. Drain, reserving 1/4 cup liquid.
  2. Heat the olive oil and chili oil in a wok over medium-high heat. Mix in the shrimp, pea pods, and garlic. Cook and stir 2 minutes, until shrimp are almost opaque. Remove from heat, and set aside.
  3. Pour the wine into the wok, and bring to a boil. Cook until reduced by 1/3. Return shrimp, peas, and garlic to the wok, and stir in the reserved pasta water. Continue to cook and stir until shrimp are opaque. Remove wok from heat, and mix in the butter, lemon juice, and basil. Toss with the cooked pasta to serve.

Have a great day, stay safe, stay well, stay home.
 

15 comments:

  1. Cut yourself some slack please. You have a heap on your plate and are perfectly entitled to have tired/grumpy days.
    These days when I cook I almost always make enough for multiple meals. The freezer has been a godsend often when I am just toooo tired.
    I am very glad you will get some assitance with your housework tomorrow. Very glad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah Sue, but I don't like them.

      I usually do anyway, as you say, the freezer is a godsend. I know, it's wonderful that Sarah volunteers.

      Delete
  2. Hi Jo - hopefully blogging will keep you going ... take care and I'm so pleased to see Sarah is coming to help. Also useful if no one else is in the laundry ... all the best ... that Shrimp dish looks delicious ... Go well - Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh it does Hilary. It is like being able to chat with everyone.

      It was delicious. You go well too.

      Delete
  3. I've got a knotted muscle just above my hip bone that is giving me problems, so I truly feel for your aches. If you do stop your daily blog for awhile, at least send up a smoke signal of a few words. Some bloggers I follow have blogged so erratically lately, or not at all, that I wonder if they are ill.
    And the pasta recipe sounds good. Might try it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, won't do that Denise unless I am forced into it. Sorry about your muscle. painful. Yes, we really need a way of letting people know how we are. Especially now. When I went into hospital 18 months ago ladydog let people know, but she is confined to her home like everyone else.

      Yes, just don't use the spaghetti water, makes way too much liquid.

      Delete
  4. Keep on blogging if you are able, Jo. It may be mildly therapeutic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think more than mildly David. I just didn't think I should blog yesterday.

      Delete
  5. Sorry for the down days. They are understandable. Love me some beans. Just made more baked beans yesterday. I don't freeze soup but I do fresh broth and I will freeze beans by themselves, to later toss into I've cream, soups or stews. Sometimes I'll check a handful of frozen beans in a quick Instant Pot soup for one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not made any beans on their own Ivy, but I do like bean soups. I should try some beans on their own.

      Delete
    2. Beans on their own, so easy. So yummy.

      Delete
    3. Yeah, will have a go later Ivy, too busy now.

      Delete
  6. You had me at fresh basil.

    Sorry you're having a rough time, Jo. Freezing meals is a great idea. Hope you can get a rest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Melissa, I have had some fresh basil available lately too. Has seen it's last now though.

      Thanks, yes, I like to keep a store of frozen meals.

      Delete
  7. Shrimp and sugar snap peas sound good. I just convinced my husband to try sugar snap peas recently and he decided he liked them.
    I feel like you with the taking longer to do things. I can't keep up with my outside chores. I'm so ready to sell this big, old house.

    ReplyDelete