Thursday, April 30, 2020

Coffee and Donuts, Shopping, Elective Surgery, Cooking, Water,

The day started out well, a bowling buddy called and said they had to come to Kitchener and, unless there was a long line-up, they would like to bring us a coffee. Matt, of course, doesn't drink it, but I do. We ended up with a coffee for me and a donut each. I got a chocolate donut which I have been craving for a long while. Chocolate, not the donut, I just didn't have any chocolate chip cookies as the store was only sending me little bags, nor anything much else. So my friend arrived with a largish bag of Lindt chocolate truffles as well. Yum. So nice of him. Bit embarrassed to be in my nightdress but I was persuading Matt to take a shower and playing with taps and bath mats etc. I screameed at the LHIN for help and, would you believe it, they have to do yet another assessment. It will be a phone assessment, but even so, it will be their 4th. What a waste of time. Anyway, I hope to get a PSW for Matt who has been using shampoo to wash. I thought it was disappearing fast. Expensive.

Having had my lunch, I then had to wait for the grocery store email to tell me what they had or didn't have for my order this week. Not too bad in fact. I then had to phone Cathy, who collects it for me, and after that I had to wait for her to bring everything. Which she eventually did. She then made a note of next week's order on her phone. I then asked for phone help because I couldn't clear her pic from Messenger off my phone. She showed me how.  I really have trouble figuring stuff out. I need to use a few passwords too but can't remember them so have to look them up. Like I have so much time to do this stuff.

After Kathy had gone, I did the lovely job of putting it all away. Talk about lots of pain. You know, it's alright for these hospitals to shut down for elective surgery, but I hurt a lot. Once I was OK again I stuffed three more peppers (didn't think I needed all 3) and then put them in the Instant Pot. They came out beautifully. I took one out of the Pot and put it in a plastico (sorry, Spanish word I have used since my parents lived in Spain, many years ago) and then got the second one as far as the plastico and it slipped falling on top of the first. The air was blue I was so annoyed and upset. I repaired what damage I could, mostly stuffing coming out, and then very carefully took out the third one and put it in a second plastico. It was beautiful!! However, after that disaster today and the one I had yesterday I have quit cooking for ever. I had to have a chocolate truffle.

Matt doesn't believe me either.

I again watched h2O, The Molecule that Made us, part 2. It is a frightening programme and I just wish I could be sure that the people who matter, governments, were watching these kind of programmes as well. Not only is underground water being used up in places like Arizona, it is being used by the Arabs who have already drained their own sources of underground water. The earth is already sinking and cracking because of the underground water being used. The more I see of such programmes, the more I am not too unhappy that I won't be on this earth much longer. Our use and control of water has already tipped the earth of its axis which is a terrifying thought. Even though we are being forced to stay home right now, it won't have stopped the use of underground water around the world. If only people would listen. I don't know what someone like me can do other than maybe write to my MP but I am one small voice, we need lots of small voices like the young Swedish girl who started a protest about global warming.

I would have to do a bit of shopping  before I could make these. And even for this dish - unless it has to be eaten with the fingers, would I leave the tails on.

Shrimp-Stuffed Peppers

The Good News Fruity, pale-yellow güero peppers—just like Hungarian wax peppers—are a great
source of vitamin C, folate and manganese. They're perfect for stuffing because "they have a little chile personality without being too hot," Deborah Schneider says. The shrimp-and-cheese filling here is a delicious source of protein. And the tomatoes in the salsa add vitamin K and potassium while also balancing the sweetness of the mangos, which are high in vitamins A and C.

8 medium güero, Hungarian wax or Cubanelle peppers (about 2 ounces each)
Salt and freshly ground pepper
2/3 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese (about 2 1/2 ounces)
1/3 cup shredded cotija or ricotta salata cheese (about 1 ounce)
1 scallion, thinly sliced
1 Tbs chopped cilantro
1 Tbs extra-virgin olive oil
16 large shrimp (about 1 pound)—shelled and deveined, tails left on
1 garlic clove, minced
Mango-Tomato Salsa, for serving

1. Line a large cast-iron skillet with foil and set it over moderately high heat. Make a slit down the length of the peppers and make 2 perpendicular slits at the stem ends. Open the peppers slightly and snip out the cores using scissors, then shake out the seeds. Add the peppers to the skillet and cook until blistered all over, 12 minutes. Season the inside of the peppers with salt and pepper.

2. Preheat the oven to 400°. In a bowl, toss the cheeses with the scallion and cilantro. Stuff the peppers with the cheese mixture and arrange them on a baking sheet.

3. In a large skillet, heat the olive oil. Add the shrimp and garlic and season with salt and pepper. Cook over moderate heat, stirring, until the shrimp start to curl, about 2 minutes. Stuff the garlicky shrimp into the peppers with the tails protruding.

4. Bake the peppers in the top of the oven for 6 to 7 minutes, until the cheese is melted. Top with the Mango-Tomato Salsa; serve.

Servings: 4
Yield: 4 first-course servings

 Author: DEBORAH SCHNEIDER
Source: Food and Wine


Have a great day

10 comments:

  1. Sigh on the pepper glitch. And hooray for Lindt truffles.
    We got some good news here today. There are NO active cases of Covid 19 in the territory in which I live. Or none that have been detected anyway.
    We are not out of the woods but it is a positive step.
    Just how many assessments of Matt do they need to do? I hope this time at least you get some much needed support.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I needed the truffles Sue. That is good news above C-19. I hope it continues that way. A ver positive step.
      Dunno, stupid isn't it?

      Delete
  2. So many disturbing programs on PBS. Water is one of them. Overpopulation of the earth another. Destruction of our forests so we can grow more food to feed the masses. Politicians are too worried about the next election to care about the future when they are long gone. Oh, don't get me started. I'm old and angry at what I see.
    Maybe you could have a rest today? Eat more chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too am old and angry Denise. It is so frustrating all round.

      Maybe, but if I eat too much chocolate I won't be able to move.

      Delete
  3. Seems like you had quite a day, Jo, and not the kind of day you wish to repeat any time soon! For the first time yesterday, I couldn't find something I wanted. There was not a cauliflower to be found. I am sure that had I gone from store to store I would have located one, but not wishing to engage in that joyful pastime, I substituted broccoli. As for plastico, we don't use it. We have totally eliminated single use plastic from our house, and try to avoid (impossible to do completely) plastic altogether. If only the whole world would do that.....and be a whole lot more careful with H2O too! Have a nice day, as they used to say when there were full service gas stations. Remember those days? And they even cleaned your windshield. My word, we are old. That would be ancient history for most kids today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, David, I don't use single use plastic bags, but plastic storage containers. I still call them plasticos though, especially when I can't remember exactly what they should be called. Sometimes I cannot be careful with water because this building is so old and the copper pipes are wearing out. If they turn the water off in our section, I have to run it forever in my bathroom to get hot water again. I got a cauliflower yesterday, wonder why you couldn't? Yes, I do vaguely remember those days, in the ancient past.

      Delete
  4. I enjoy chocolate and I enjoy chocolate doughnuts 🍩. Very nice your friend brought you goodies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was nice Ivy, and much appreciated. Think I may have gained a few inches yesterday though LOL

      Delete
  5. Sorry about the pepper mishap.
    Well. when the Middle East falls into a sinkhole, we'll know why.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alex.
      Yes, but they are doing the same to the States, particularly in Arizona. They showed land sinking and cracking badly in the States, NOT the Middle East.

      Delete