Monday, April 6, 2020

Spam, Saturday, Sewing, Shopping, Instant Pot,

I was thinking of taking off the Comment Moderation 'cos I find it a nuisance, but I got yet another entry from the guy with the penis problem. Grrr. So comment moderation will stay on for a while yet.

Saturday I had a delightful morning, it started with doing the laundry first thing, then I figured I should take the recycling down. Met a friend who told me there had been a bunch of people in the lobby who had not been keeping social distance so the lobby seating area was now cordoned off with police type tape. What idiots some people are. This now means that people like me, for instance, have nowhere to sit when they are waiting to be picked up or something.  I guess the rest of the day was just boring, as usual.

Hey, I also sewed the seam on my pants so I will not moon anyone any more. Just as well I don't go commando.

This shopping business is getting more and more difficult. I had to post an order today to be sure to get it on April 14. I could only get the time in the afternoon. Do you know what you want to buy in the store 12 days ahead? There are some items I know I will want, but others, right now I have too much orange juice for instance.

Forgot to tell you about my beloved Instant Pot exploding on me the other day. It had just come to pressure - I was cooking snow peas which you don't give any cooking time - and I was just about to release the pressure when it did it all on it's own. What a mess. Frightened me. However, I have decided that I had not put the sealing ring back properly. I will be extremely careful in future. I was a bit scared to use it but I am back to wielding it with aplomb once more.

I did discover I could boil potatoes in the Instant Pot. Never thought of it before because we don't eat all that many potatoes and I tend to air fry them anyway. However, I wanted to try a recipe I found, so I steamed the potatoes and then boiled the pasta in the Pot. The recipe calls for using some pasta water which I did, but earlier than said and put the pan lid on to soften up the cabbage by creating steam. I also added some Habanero Cheese too. I cut the potato in chunks too. It turned out to be surprisingly good.

Pasta and Potatoes with Cabbage (Pizzoccheri)

1/2 lb red potatoes
8 oz dry, shaped pasta (preferably buckwheat or whole wheat)
1 clove garlic, minced
2 Tbs extra-virgin olive oil
1 small- to medium-sized (or 2 baby heads) green cabbage, cored and shredded
1 Tbs butter
1/2 cup grated Grana Padano cheese (or Parmesan)
Salt and pepper to taste

1. Place the potatoes in a large pot and cover with cool water. Add a teaspoon of salt and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce to a simmer and cook until the potatoes are tender. Scoop them out with a slotted spoon and leave the pot of water on the stove. (Alternatively, you can use leftover cooked potatoes in this recipe.)

2. Add water to the pot, if necessary, and bring it back to a boil. Stir in the pasta and cook until the pasta is al dente. Scoop out about 1/2 cup of the pasta cooking water and set aside, then drain the pasta.

3. Meanwhile, heat a very large, wide pan with the olive oil and garlic and cook until the garlic begins to sizzle. Add the cabbage and season with a pinch of salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 2 to 3 minutes, or until cabbage is softened.

4. Transfer the potatoes and pasta to the pan of cabbage along with the 1/2 cup of the pasta cooking water. Stir in the butter and cheese, toss to combine thoroughly, and taste. Season with salt and pepper if needed. Toss again, and serve

Servings: 4

Source: kitchn

Have a great day - stay safe - stay well - stay home.
 

18 comments:

  1. I can see that I am going to have to explore the world of Instant Pots.
    But not instantly.
    I am so over the people who refuse to obey rules and make life MUCH more difficult (and dangerous) for every one else. A pox on all of their houses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh definitely Sue. They are so easy to use. What I like is, once you know how long to set it for, you can just forget about it and get on with something else.

      Oh tell me about it. They probably will get a pox on their houses.

      Delete
  2. My original pressure cooker from the 1970's is sitting out in the garage. Haven't used it in ages. I do remember folks telling me they would never use them because they could explode. Never had a problem. Too bad about the lobby. They are threatening to fine and jail people who do not follow the rules here. Oh right. The folks who have no money cause they lost their jobs and the same prisons they are releasing criminals from because of the virus. The whole world is nuts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well of course this one works on electricity Denise. It sits on my counter and is used constantly. How stupid, I didn't know they were releasing criminals, it did occur to me that was another incubator for the disease, like cruise ships LOL.

      Delete
  3. It is a real shame that inconsiderate people have caused the seating area to be cordoned off. It is a bit of a mystery why some people have a brain, but never use it. Or perhaps they are overburdened with an excess of inconsiderate genes! I checked out your SIL's art. Impressive stuff! My offer still stands, and I will double the chicken thighs!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a shame David. But that's people isn't it? Lack of use I think. Mike does sell prints too. Not so many chicken thighs needed.

      Delete
  4. Hopefully you won't need to be going anywhere.
    I'd heard Insta Pots could blow like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope not Alex, at least until asparagus season starts.

      Pretty sure it was my fault. Hasn't done anything like it before and I have been using it constantly for over a year.

      Delete
  5. My best friend sent me a photo of the hotel she runs in Hawaii with the lobby seats all taped off because people kept congregating there.

    I could guess the essentials of what we'd need 2 weeks from now, but not some key ingredients of what we might make to eat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As everyone says, people don't use their brains Diane.

      Well that's it, you can guess the essentials, but there is usually something your forget or get too much of.

      Delete
  6. People are dumb for flipping the bird at social distancing. They were told so many times that if they get a fine...good! They know better so don’t whine when you can’t afford it. Just stay apart! I’m glad you were not hurt with the instapot and that it still works. My hubby went grocery shopping and Zehrs was crazy...1 1/2 hour wait to checkout but the other grocery stores were ok

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right Birgit. This is why the curve is not flattening as fast as it should.

      Zehrs is a very popular store of course.

      Delete
  7. I've had that happen to mine. Though more to the old one that I had. But also, still happens every now and again with the two newer ones. The pot starts to make a certain set of noises that we know it's about to blow. Gives us time to step back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just wrote to you about it Ivy. I thought these were not supposed to blow. Maybe it wasn't my fault then. If so I think I will complain to Instant Pot.

      Delete
    2. the newer models are supposed to have more safety features, I thought but don't quote me. I've put my lid on before without a ring, though that didn't blow. Didn't pressure cook, but didn't blow.

      Delete
    3. How odd, I would have thought it would blow that way Ivy. Anyway, I have cooked nearly every day for over a year without problems so I really shouldn't upset myself about it.

      Delete
  8. That's a pasta combo I'd never heard of. I'd tried to put a comment on the previous post or two but they don't seem to have made their way through. I'm glad to hear you're still well and coping.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am using comment moderation because I am getting these unpleasant spam comments Helen. Coping is the word I guess. You doing OK too I hope.

      Delete