Saturday, April 18, 2020

Essential Services. Glasses, Shopping, Car, Walker, Supper.

For some reason, in the morning, I phoned our garage and checked if they were "essential services" I was assured they were although not working as many hours. The guy who runs the Meineke is great and we have a very good relationship. He also told me I should drive the car for a short trip at least twice a week during this incarceration. I then got a call from a local optometrist who said bring down my glasses that afternoon. Whoopee.

Shortly after  lunch, off we headed for the optometrist. Matt came for the ride. Turns out the optometrist in the local mall had moved into a premises previously occupied by a jewellers. He was telling me that all of the stores are moving around. Zehrs our grocery store is in the same place, as is the bank, but a large area is being taken over by Shopper's Drug Mart. The post office used to be in a tobacconist's. Not sure but I know the Post Office has moved, assume the tobacconist has too.

However, he fixed my glasses and suggested that I should have new lenses put into the frames I was wearing. May just do that, a good idea.

I then went to the liquor store and stood in a line up right round the corner, in the cold. Thank God it isn't winter any more. However there is always a gale blowing past the front of the LCBO. There were 6 ft markers all the way round the corner and we moved along like good little children. I eventually went in to the store and discovered Matt's favourite gin, Bombay Sapphire was not available, I discovered it had been recalled, don't know why. Anyway, I was pushing Matt's walker and loaded everything into the basket. His walker has the advantage of being much easier to fold and put into the trunk. The booze weighed a ton.

I then thought I would stop at the baker's and get some more of my favourite buns as I was nearly out. All well and good, intended to go on to Victoria St. Market to get a decent lettuce, the one I got from the grocery this week was appalling, no middle at all. Got back to the car and Matt said there was steam coming up. I thought he was imagining it and then I saw it. Horrors. I went straight to the garage. Lucky I phoned this morning. They were busy, busy, busy. They didn't have time to even take a look although Bob figured it must be the cooling system. In the end, they sent us home, booze and all, by cab. The driver was trying to keep away from us but not really possible. I had a can of disinfectant spray with me, so I was spraying everything around.

Now I had a problem, I have mentioned that our parking lot underground is at the most extreme distance from the door. I was wondering how the hell I was going to get my walker. When we went to enter the building, the assistant super opened the door. I immediately begged him to get my walker for me. He said he would. Two hours later I phoned him and he had forgotten. Eventually, he did get it for me. So - I am not a happy camper. They won't even look at the car til Monday and it was considered unwise to drive it home again. Even if I did, what would have been the point, I couldn't drive it anyway.

So, what a shit of a day. I was exhausted after all this. So I decided to cook something which took some effort instead of something easy. I really am a dumbcluck. I actually made Shrimp Creole in the Instant Pot which was delicious. Of course I didn't order onions this week, so I used a leek instead. Worked fine. But I never did get my damned lettuce today. But, at least I can have my Sunday champagne.

So, even if I had to get on with chopping and dicing stuff, it was worth it in the end.

Shrimp Creole in an Instant Pot®

1 bell pepper, diced
1 medium onion, chopped
2 stalks celery, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tsp olive oil
1 Tbs tomato paste
1/2 cup sherry
1 tsp sugar
1 28 oz  can crushed tomatoes
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper (or to taste)
1 tsp thyme
1 bay leaf
1 lb frozen jumbo shrimp (peeled and deveined)

1. Set the Instant Pot pressure cooker to sauté and heat olive oil.  Add the vegetables and sauté for 3 minutes, or until they start to soften. Add tomato paste, stirring for about another minute.

2. Add crushed tomatoes, seasonings.  Stir to combine. Cover with lid, making sure the valve is in the sealing position.  Set the pot to manual - high pressure for 5 minutes.  When finished, do a quick pressure release by moving the valve to venting.   Add the shrimp into the hot sauce and cook it that way. If necessary turn on the sauté function to bring the sauce to temperature again..  Serve over rice.

Servings: 4

Source: Instantly Delicious

Have a great weekend, stay safe, stay well, stay home.
 

13 comments:

  1. I am glad you got your glasses fixed and that dinner was delicious - but yes it does sound like a complete shit of a day otherwise.
    Perhaps two glasses of bubbles?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So was I sue but your'e right about the rest of it.

      Had a glass or two of Scotch.

      Delete
  2. Quaff enough bubbly and you will forget all your woes, Jo. It was Miriam's birthday last Wednesday and when I picked up a bottle of wine the liquor store was not too busy. The selection is getting a little thin, however. The tuna patties I made for lunch yesterday were excellent. I added a little garam masala which worked perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true David, but I don't like to quaff that much any more, when I was somewhat younger..... I guess it depends on the time of day, but there was certainly a long line up. They sound very good David, I would actually call them fish cakes!! Garam Masala was a good idea. I might have enjoyed them even if it was tuna.

      Delete
    2. I forgot to say Happy Birthday to Miriam. So, Happy Belated Birthday!

      Delete
    3. You are right, they are basically fish cakes. We do make a fish cake from time to time, but it is with mashed potatoes.

      Delete
    4. That's what my mother used. Oddly enough David, I have never made them, not sure why, I always enjoyed them .

      Delete
  3. Essential services in Michigan include lottery ticket sales, liquor sales, and pot sales - none of which I use. OTOH, I cannot buy fertilizer or have my trees sprayed for bugs. Oh, and I cannot visit my family. How is it I can go into a store, but not a home that no one has left in a month????
    I wonder if car repair shops are open around here?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Dollar Store was open Denise, I know because it was right next to the optometrist. I couldn't believe it. It is all a bit ridiculous isn't it? I couldn't believe the amount of traffic on the roads yesterday either.

      Delete
  4. Like you said, at least you still have your bubbly! I remember meeting your wonderful mechanic man. He was fun, and I'm glad he is taking care of you, even if he can't get to it till Monday. At least he is open!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, he is fun isn't he Lisa? Forgot you met him. He will certainly take care of my, not sure about my pockets though. I assume mechanics are all open.

      Delete
  5. That stinks. Car repairs always make me worry. I never know how much they'll cost. Not a good time for added expenses. I'm glad you got your booze. I read where we might not be able to get carbonated drinks much longer. The article said that since no one is driving and buying gas, they aren't getting enough CO2 from the process to sell for drinks. Stupid flu.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too Liz, especially as I won't know what's wrong til Monday or how much. Luckily for us, we don't drink carbonated drinks and bubbly uses it's own natural gas production to be bubbly. Just shows you, when you see how cheap gas is. If they can do it now, why not normally?

      Delete