Friday, April 17, 2020

Morning, TV and Spanish, Words for Wednesday, Shopping, Beans, Sunshine,

Matt is not up yet this morning, says he had a bad night. Probable because he sleeps a lot during the day and the body can only sleep so much I think. His breakfast is sitting on the table along with his morning pills so I will have to get him up soon for the pills alone.

As I mentioned, it's shopping today. I do hope I get everything but I don't suppose I will. I've got one egg left as I said and not much of anything else in the fridge. Just thought, I could have got some sausages out to defrost and cook for breakfast - for me anyway, Matt sticks to his cereal. I didn't think, I guess I could have had his cereal too, not very exciting stuff but....

Being Thursday I usually end up watching Morse on Public TV. It goes on quite late and then I end up writing my blog and doing my Spanish lesson which means I get to bed later than usual. I seem to have  trouble getting to bed before midnight anyway. So, I am writing this in the morning and will try to do my Spanish this afternoon.

Every Wednesday Elephant's Child publishes Words for Wednesday, sometimes these words are published on someone else's blog, but the idea is to make up a little story using some or all of the words. Much to my surprise, I am doing quite well at that. I especially liked the little story I did this week.

Alcalador sat in his sunless cave and settled down among the thousands of gold treasures on which he liked to sleep. The world had presumably forgotten his existence and he could sleep in happy contentment. Before he could drop from somnolence into sleep, he heard delicate footsteps outside – he called stop but whoever approached continued to do so in a more aggressive manner. Was this someone who was drawn to the rumours of great wealth, he hoped not but had had to deal with such before. Eventually a figure appeared in the entrance to the cave and he uttered one word, “Witch” for he recognized her, she had been to visit him many eons before. “We have to have a talk about what is going on in the world, which only we can fix, Alcalador” she said. She approached him at a brisk pace and sat between his giant legs, he debated whether to roast her to a crisp but decided to listen to what she had to say, the world could well be in trouble. 

The highlighted words are the ones we had to use this week. I am patting myself on the back. If you like writing, you should go and try it. Some people come up with marvellous ways to use the words given to us. We are such an inventive lot.

Just got my shopping and, unbelievably, they didn't have bananas or carrots. Kathy, who so very kindly picked up my shopping for me, also picked up some bananas for me and brought me some carrots too. Rather more than I needed, but better than having none. I have decided I rather like tortillas to use for breakfast, I ended up with two packets today. I have stuck one lot in the freezer. The proper way to freeze them is to re-pack them individually, might regret that I haven't done that.

I have bought two types of beans so I think I will invent a bean soup as I can no longer get hold of the 13 bean soup I had been making. I do enjoy bean soups, cooked in the Instant Pot of course.

I do wish the sun would put his hat on and come out today. Asparagus doesn't grow without a dollop of sun and rain both.

I published this recipe in 2016 and thought it sounded so good I would publish again We still seem to be able to get mushrooms around here, just not bananas LOL.

CAPRESE PORTABELLA MUSHROOMS

MUSHROOMS CANADA
PREP TIME: 10 MINUTES | COOK TIME: 30 MINUTES | SERVES 4

Ingredients

8 portabella mushrooms
2 tbsp olive oil, divided
1 cup quinoa, cooked
2 cloves garlic, minced
4 tbsp balsamic vinegar, divided
½ tsp salt
¼ tsp pepper
16 mini buffala mozzarella balls
16 cherry tomatoes
¼ cup chopped fresh basil

Method
1. Preheat oven to 425 F.
2. Cook quinoa according to package directions. Meanwhile, gently wash away dirt from mushrooms, then carefully cut away stems and scrape out each mushroom. Set filling aside.
3. In a large bowl, toss quinoa with mushroom filling, minced garlic, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper. Stuff each mushroom with filling, then top each with two mozzarella balls and two cherry tomatoes.
4. Cook in the oven for 15-20 minutes until cheese is completely melted. Remove from oven and top each mushroom with a bit of fresh basil. Enjoy!

Have a great day, stay well, stay safe, stay home.
 

12 comments:

  1. I really like your Words for Wednesday story too (and you knew I would).
    Did you get your eggs? They are often one of the hard to find items here. Fruit and vegies are usually ok.
    Mmmm mushroom. I will have to check for mozzarella next week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sue, as you will gather, I was quite proud of myself. Yes, I got eggs OK. Bananas, carrots, pineapple chunks were the main missing items. I haven't been able to get my favourite Kimchi Noodles for ages, no idea why.

      Delete
  2. You did a great job with the story! And you say you're not a writer.

    We eat a lot of tortillas and couldn't get them for a week, so I made my own. They were a hit. A lot of work, but we were wanting tacos. I bought several bags of beans as back ups to my back ups. If they ever quarantine us for too long, we'll always have bean soup to live on.

    Glad you got your bananas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Liz, I was quite pleased with myself.

      I'm the only one who eats them, well I guess I could serve tacos for supper. I really don't want two packets though.Yup, love bean soups.

      So was I.

      Delete
  3. Sausage for breakfast? Now that sounds like part of what my doctor calls "A heart attack breakfast!" As you know, I have cereal virtually every morning like Matt, but recently we have morphed a little into fruit and yogurt some mornings. Actually I shouldn't say we. Miriam hardly ever eats breakfast. Stopped by my favourite bakery yesterday and bought a loaf of olive bread. Yesterday I saw a recipe for tuna patties so I am going to make that for lunch for us today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not necessarily David. When I was a kid we often ate sausage, bacon and eggs and nobody had heart attacks. Olive bread sounds good. I am not very keen on tuna, unless it is fresh.

      Delete
    2. To buy fresh tuna you need a second mortgage on the house!

      Delete
    3. I still don't much like canned tuna David, sorry. Matt used to do something with it years ago which was good, but otherwise, no, sorry.

      Delete
  4. That was nice of her to stop for bananas and carrots. Odd, our stores have plenty of both. Now you know why they said keep two weeks ahead. Other than bread and some fruit and vegetables, I think we are almost four weeks ahead now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the fresh stuff which seems to be a problem Alex. And yes, it was nice of her. Guess I should buy extra eggs to stay ahead.

      Delete
  5. Nice story. I had no idea you had such an inventive imagination.

    My usual breakfast is some type of toast and yogurt. Only cause it is so easy.

    Had no internet all morning so my day is now upside down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Denise, I have been doing this for a few weeks now and it is rather fun.

      My breakfasts tend to vary from day to day.

      How very frustrating.

      Delete