Saturday, April 4, 2020

Ladybugs, Toilet Paper, Friar Alessandro,

For those of you who have never heard of biting ladybugs, here is a picture of one.


I don't think it is a very serious bite, so far I haven't been bitten one, fingers crossed. They are an Asian invader but I don't know how they got here. The apparently stink too. Here is an article which I am glad I have read because I didn't know they could swarm and look for a hiding place to spend the winter in one's home. I need to have a good look round. From the article pictures, they come in all kinds of shades of brown to yellow and some in the pictures looked vaguely red. I remember as a kid with the pretty, red, harmless ladybird, as we called them,  We used to get one on our hands and say:

Ladybird, ladybird fly away home
Your house is on fire and your children are gone.

No idea where that came from or what exactly it meant. Of course Google did. It is something to do with Pagans hiding. The verse quoted was somewhat different to what we said as kids and there were more lines. Anyway, if they are spreading in Canada, I have no doubt they will cross the border into the States in a very few years.

Look what I've got - it's heavy so I had to move it around on my walker. I couldn't seem to get any from my grocery store so I ordered them from Costco. they just arrived. I thought I placed an order with someone else but couldn't find it to cancel. I hope it didn't go through. If it did I am going to be a TP hoarder as well. I must say the UPS guy certainly maintained his social distance when he pushed the box round the door jamb. I complained because they charged me $3 surcharge for 2 day delivery. I didn't request that. I certainly have enough TP for another couple of days or so.

We just watched Friar Alessandro on TV. He is a friar from Assisi (Frances of Assisi) with the most wonderful voice. Just to show you what I mean here is a video of him singing Panis Angelicus


Mind you. he's had a haircut since this was recorded. Watching him sing, I got the feeling he wasn't really singing, he was praying. He brought tears to my eyes several times. Amongst other songs, he sang Ave Maria and Amazing Grace. An incredible voice.

I posted a Beef Stroganoff recipe which was made with ground beef, this one is made with stewing beef. It looks really good.

Beef Stroganoff for Instant Pot®

A truly one-pot meal! Fork-tender beef and mushrooms with egg noodles. This recipe is written using
the Instant Pot®

2 Tbs canola oil
1/2 onion, diced
2 tsp salt, divided
2 lbs beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tsp dried thyme
2 Tbs soy sauce
3 cups chopped mushrooms
2 Tbs all-purpose flour
3 cups chicken broth
1 16 oz. package wide egg noodles
3/4 cup sour cream, or to taste

1. Turn on a multi-cooker (such as Instant Pot(R)) and select Saute function. Heat oil for 1 minute. Add onion and 1/2 teaspoon salt; cook and stir until onion begins to soften, 3 to 4 minutes.

2. Season beef with 1 teaspoon salt and pepper. Add to the pot. Cook and stir until browned evenly on all sides, about 2 minutes. Add garlic and thyme; cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Pour in soy sauce.

3. Stir mushrooms into the pot. Stir in flour until evenly incorporated. Pour in chicken broth and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt. Close and lock the lid. Set timer for 10 minutes. Set to high pressure according to manufacturer's instructions, 10 to 15 minutes.

4. Release pressure carefully using the quick-release method. Open pressure cooker; stir in egg noodles. Seal and bring to high pressure again, about 5 minutes; cook for 5 minutes.

5. Release pressure naturally according to manufacturer's instruction for 5 minutes. Release remaining pressure using the quick-release method. Open pressure cooker; stir in sour cream

Author: Lissa
Source: allrecipes

Have a great day
 

18 comments:

  1. That is one incredible voice.
    Thank for for the link to the bitie smellie ladybugs. I grew up with that verse too.
    That amount of toilet paper should keep you going for quite a while. I am glad you finally tracked some down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought so Sue. Enjoyed it. I am now worried about the little beggars swarming somewhere.

      Yep, it should keep us a while, I hope.

      Delete
  2. Hi JO - enough TP for a few months ... and perhaps a few pieces extra to clear up the ladybugs. Friar Alessandro has a stunning voice - as you say almost prayer like. I used to love beef stroganoff ... and something to do in one pot ... or your instant pot - take care - Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think so Hilary. He really does, we enjoyed watching/listening to him. Me too, I want to try this one, might have to stock up, I have the beef.

      Delete
  3. We have stink bugs here which have invaded from China. Nothing has been developed to kill them. They come into the home in the fall to spend the winter. They do not bite or eat anything, but they do stink if you squash them. Usually I just flush them down the toilet. If you collect them in your vacuum, the bag will smell the next time you use it. A real nuisance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess they are much the same Denise. I used the hand vacuum. They were dead already so may not have a problem.

      Delete
  4. I have been bitten by those ladybugs, and it is more of an irritation than something that hurts. I would imagine they came over with shipments of fruit from their place of origin. Better make sure that they have not all stowed away in your copious rolls of toilet paper!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess you are right David. As for my copious rolls of TP, they are still covered in plastic. All the ones I saw were dead, but I will keep a good lookout for them next year.

      Delete
  5. Interesting about the ladybugs. Thanks for the info. Hubby had heard of them but didn't know anything about them so I shared your post with him. That friar indeed has a beautiful voice! Very moving! Yummy with the recipe.

    Betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear from another blogger who was bitten by one that it isn't a very bad bite. They excrete a nasty smell though. I hope they don't get to your neck of the woods Betty.

      Delete
  6. Thought I posted a comment but looks like it did not take. Interesting about the ladybugs. Thanks for the info. Beautiful singing, very moving!

    Betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have comment moderation on because I was getting some Spam.

      Delete
  7. I didn't know ladybugs bit.

    You're lucky that giant case of TP made it to you. It's still really hard to find any here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, not the regular red ones Diane, only these yellowy ones.

      I got it from Costco, you have a Costco in New Bern, used to go there, mind you I ordered it online to be delivered.

      Delete
  8. I have seen these little devils and I hate them. I miss our lovely harmless ladybugs who ate the aphids. I prefer my own stroganoff made in the roasting pan and the meat is well done..no red or pink..yuck)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do too Birgit. I miss the original ladybugs but I believe these Asian ones have ousted them from their place here.

      I guess you wouldn't like they way I cook a steak then. I like it so I can slap a bandaid on and send it back out in the field.

      Delete
  9. Glad you were able to get some crapper paper. Woohoo for poo!

    ReplyDelete