Friday, April 3, 2020

Traffic, Noodles, Ladybugs, Stitching,

One thing I forgot to say yesterday, if there are so few vehicles on the roads right now, how come people are still crashing into one another. I still keep hearing reports on the radio of accidents. Must be absolutely lousy drivers.

The noodle dish I posted yesterday: I made it with Oriental Noodles, not so successful. I should have stuck to spaghetti or found a lighter recipe for the sauce I think. Anyway, that's enough carbs for a while. Especially as we had potstickers for supper. I did at least serve some broccoli on the side so we got some healthy greens.

One thing I did do today, I happened to look behind the sofa bed in my computer room and found a plethora of dead ladybugs, you know, the nasty kind that bite. I was not sorry to see their demise. I got our my hand held and got rid of them that way. I don't  know why there rather than anywhere else. Seemed odd.

Another thing I forgot to tell you. You know I was carrying on about sewing and then eventually got round to sewing a pair of pants which has been sitting waiting for at least a year, well a couple of days ago, I found that a seam in the rear had come unstitched too. I have no idea how long I have been going around with my rear end sticking out. I certainly didn't notice it before. They are now waiting to be sewn again, not sure how long it will take this time. I have contemplated getting one of those hand held sewing machines, have you seen them? Has anyone tried one? I would be interested to know. For the kind of stuff I need, it would be ideal if they work.

So then I did some Googling for Noodle Soup

Spicy Noodle Soup With Mushrooms and Herbs

Sautéed mushrooms lend extreme and surprising depth of flavor to this clean, spicy noodle soup,
which also happens to be vegan. With the addition of soy sauce, the broth takes on an almost beefy flavor; the vinegar helps to perk it right back up for a nearly hot and sour flavor profile. For the best (and most interesting) results, try to seek out a mix of mushrooms for a variety of flavors and textures.

3 Tbs canola or olive oil
4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
2 large shallots, thinly sliced
Kosher salt and ground black pepper
1 ½ lbs mixed mushrooms, such as maitake, oyster, cremini or shiitake, torn into bite-size pieces
1 to 2 fresh red or green chiles, such as Fresno, thinly sliced (or 3/4 teaspoon red-pepper flakes)
½ cup low-sodium soy sauce, plus more to taste
¼ cup unseasoned rice wine vinegar, plus more to taste
8 cups water
8 to 10 oz noodles, such as udon, soba, rice or spaghetti
2 cups herbs (tender leaves and stems), such as cilantro, mint, chives, parsley or a mix, for serving
Sesame seeds, sesame oil or both, for serving (optional)

1. Heat oil in a large, heavy-bottomed pot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add garlic and shallots, and season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until shallots start to turn a nice golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes. Add mushrooms and half the chile, and season with salt and pepper.

2. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the mushrooms have softened, released much of their water and turned a deep golden brown, 10 to 15 minutes. (A browned mushroom will have infinitely more flavor than an unbrowned mushroom, because the water inside it evaporates and the flavor concentrates. So do not skip this step.)

3. Add 1/2 cup soy sauce, 1/4 cup vinegar and 8 cups of water. Bring to a gentle simmer and season with salt and pepper. Continue to simmer until the flavors have melded and the broth tastes good enough to drink (you will be drinking it), 15 to 20 minutes. Season with more soy sauce and vinegar as you like.

4. Meanwhile, cook the noodles in a large pot of salted boiling water until just al dente. (The timing will depend on the type and brand of noodles, so consult the package.) Add the noodles to the pot with the broth, and let them hang out in there for a minute or two to finish cooking and soak up all that flavor.

5. To serve, use tongs to divide the noodles and mushrooms among bowls, then ladle the hot broth over the top. Serve with the remaining chile, the herbs and the sesame seeds and oil (if using) for people to dress their own bowls to their liking.

Servings: 4

Author: ALISON ROMAN

Have a great day

10 comments:

  1. I didn't know there WERE ladybugs that bite. I am pretty sure we don't have them.
    I hope you haven't been mooning all and sundry for too long. I have seen those hand-held machines advertised but haven't tried them. And have some mending of my own on the ever growing 'to do' list.
    Stay well, stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We get them by the dozens round here Sue. I hate them. They are usually more of a yellowish brown colour. Otherwise they look exactly the same. No, rather embarrassing to think I was mooning at all LOL.

      Delete
  2. PS: That soup looks and sounds good. I will have to look for fresh mushrooms and herbs on my next shopping expedition. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually have crimini mushrooms at all times so I thought I would just use those for now.

      Delete
  3. You have to be totally distracted to have an accident on the deserted roads we see of late. One thing I did notice going down Fischer-Hallman in Waterloo was a radar trap. I think it is because there is so little traffic, the road has become effectively a four-lane highway and people are going faster. I went to my credit union to deposit a cheque in the ATM and on the return trip I saw that someone had been caught. I bet her day was ruined!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think so David. If you saw the trap, why didn't she. Silly woman.

      Delete
  4. My hubby and me said the same thing when we went by a car accident. Should be little to none out there now. I never heard of lady bugs that bite. New news for me. I will have to see if hubby had heard of them.

    Betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These do Betty, I don't know where they came from, they are not the same colour as normal red ladybugs.

      Delete
  5. Some of these are kids who thinks it’s cool to really speed until they lose control. We found a few last year in our veranda..all dead....buggers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I guess you are right Birgit. I hadn't thought of that.

      At least they were outside, not in. I found a live one in the living room the other night

      Delete