Sunday, April 12, 2020

Easter Weekend

Pretty quiet weekend. Got some pix of Matt's first great granddaughter Nieve. Boy is she growing up fast. Nothing more about his second great granddaughter. I know her parents don't want her picture on the internet, but surely sending her great granddad pix is something else.

Been swapping a few cartoons around with friends. One hilarious one but I don't know how to add it  to this blog. I guess I am not as technically proficient as I think I am (actually I know that I have fallen way behind technically).

The weather has been miserable - bit cold - I do hope it will warm up soon. We need some cheerful weather.

A volunteer came on Saturday afternoon and did some vacuuming and dusting for me. So very nice of her. I was very grateful.

Saturday evening I cooked a boneless leg of lamb. Haven't cooked one in a while so had to check out the oven temps and times. It came out just perfectly. It was excellent hot and just as good cold. Still got a lot of meat left though. The gravy, which I also hadn't made in a long time, was also delicious, but it meant I was working pretty hard all day except when Sarah came to clean.


As dessert I tried an Instant Pot Rice Pudding.Which we both enjoyed. Very rich and very creamy. I probably should add very fattening there. Not to himself of course. Especially as I added a large dollop of cream on top. Forgot to take pix of the rice pudding. I served it in sundae glasses. Looked good. I didn't put raisins in, didn't have any, but added a lot of coconut which goes well with rice pudding. It was good, twice. It might surprise you to know that I did use cream instead of half the milk.

My Favorite Pressure Cooker Rice Pudding

Make the best rice pudding using your pressure cooker or Instant Pot. It's quick, easy-to-make
comfort food at it's best.

1 cup Arborio rice
1 1/2 cups water
1/4 tsp salt
2 cups whole milk, divided*
1/2 cup sugar
2 eggs
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
3/4 cup raisins

1. In pressure cooking pot, combine rice, water, and salt. Lock the lid in place and select High Pressure and 3 minutes cook time. When beep sounds turn off pressure cooker and use a natural pressure release for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, release any remaining pressure with a quick pressure release.

2. Add 1 1/2 cups milk and sugar to rice in pressure cooking pot; stir to combine.

3. In a small mixing bowl, whisk eggs with remaining 1/2 cup milk and vanilla. Pour through a fine mesh strainer into pressure cooking pot. Select sauté and cook, stirring constantly, until mixture starts to boil. Turn off pressure cooker. Remove pot from the pressure cooker. Stir in raisins.

4. Pudding will thicken as it cools. Serve warm or pour into serving dishes and chill.

5. Served topped with whipped cream, and a sprinkle of cinnamon or nutmeg, if desired.

 Notes

The rice will continue to absorb liquid as it cools. Stir in additional milk or cream until your desired consistency is achieved.

Source: Pressure Cooking Today

*For a richer, creamier rice pudding you can also use half heavy cream.

Have a great day and as usual, stay well, stay safe and stay home.
 

16 comments:

  1. I love that you made rice dessert. So fun. Tomorrow morning I'm making rice for Tim to get to work. Arborio as well. Odd about the picture thing, but some folks are so freaked out that they live in fear and don't share even the smallest things. In other news, just gotta place my order for more wood and off to bed. 'night, Jo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was good rice pudding Ivy. I know what you mean. Pity though.

      Good luck with your building

      Delete
    2. ❤️ Thanks. Building going well.

      Delete
    3. You should call yourself the Happy Builder Ivy.

      Delete
  2. Sounds good Jo - doing what you enjoy doing ... cooking and looking for recipes for us. I had a roast (lamb) ... so now also have cold meat ready for the week. It's also cold here ... that Arctic air has arrived for a couple of days by the sound of it ... take care and I love rice pudding ... my Ma used to make a delicious one. So pleased you had some cleaning done ... the beds?! Take care - Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just read some fairly exotic recipes telling you what to do with cold lamb. Only trouble I didn't have sufficient ingredients and I sure am not going to get them. The rice pudding was fabulous. No, not the beds.

      Delete
  3. I haven't had rice pudding in years - and I am drooling.
    And yes, I would think that sending pictures to a relative is very different - but what would I know.
    Hooray for cleaners.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should, it's good Sue. I would think so too, but who knows.

      She teaches at the local university!!!

      Delete
  4. The weather yesterday was beautiful, Jo. I was out most of the afternoon and it got up to seventeen degrees with bright sunshine and no wind. Part of the time I walked around Columbia Lake and there were lots of people out, cyclists, joggers, dog walkers, families, all happy to get some fresh air I am sure, free from enforced confinement. The forecast for today is not so good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We don't live far apart David and the weather wasn't like that here. Same temps, dark skies and no sun. I hope you were all keeping your distances. It's been raining here, not sure if it still is.

      Delete
  5. Since we are forbidden to visit family in Michigan, I ate my leftover curry alone. And baked a cake for Charlie's birthday today which I am taking over there, so if you don't hear from me I may be in jail, lol.
    Speaking of Matt not gaining weight, I watched that program on fat and it reminded me of a study that was done years ago about whether having a small amount of fat on your body would lead to Alzheimer's. Many debunked it, but after watching fats effect on the brain, it makes sense.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tut tut. I hope it goes well for Charlie's birthday Denise.

      Well Matt has little fat and his brain is degenerating.

      Delete
  6. I don't think I've ever had lamb. Glad yours turned out good.
    Pass on the fatty pudding though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably not Alex, many North Americans don't like lamb.

      Fatty pudding?? A bit of cream never hurt anyone. It was very good.

      Delete
  7. I hope you get our beautiful warm weather soon. Although it was a bit stormy this morning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so too Diane. I/we are getting a bit sick of this miserable stuff at the moment. We even had a sprinkling of snow the other day, not much, but.... I could use a nice dose of Carolina weather right now.

      Delete