Friday, April 10, 2020

Chinese, Easter, Bananas,

That Chinese food went a long way, I had some for lunch, we finished it for supper tonight and there is still a small amount of rice for me tomorrow.  Because the Chinese restaurant is open for delivery, I checked on the Vietnamese restaurant just up the road, but I am not sure if they deliver or not. Their stuff is pretty good. Will have to phone them.

I discovered that I had forgotten to give the pharmacy the Visa number I am using as mine is now cancelled. Not that the new one has turned up yet. Lucky I have Matt's card and can use it. I phoned them this afternoon and they took the number but could only use it for today's delivery. They gave me a number to call but said they wouldn't be open til Monday. Couldn't understand why. Then at some point it hit me, tomorrow is Good Friday. I had completely forgotten although I knew Sunday was Easter. Duuh. I should l have got some yeast to make Hot Cross Buns. Guess this year we will be going without. I am cooking a roast of lamb for our Easter meal though. I have got that LOL.

Been another of those busy days today. Lots of this and that. Phone going constantly. One thing, one of the women from CareMongers called this afternoon and brought me a bunch of bananas. I am so very grateful. She is the one who will be picking up our shopping this week. Seemed very nice. Got 4 kids yet has time to help me. My faith in people is being restored.

Being an idiot (no you don't have to agree) I forgot today I like to watch a cop show which doesn't end til almost 11 which means I haven't much time to write this and do my Spanish. Oh well, I did get in a nap this afternoon which helps.

This is a recipe I published a couple of years ago but thought it was worth seeing the light of day again.

Mushroom, Apple and Walnut Stuffed Acorn Squash

4 small-medium sized acorn squash, seeded, cut in half lengthwise
Salt and pepper
2 Tbs (30 mL) olive oil
8 oz (227 g) fresh mixed mushrooms (portabella, shiitake, oyster), coarsely chopped
2 celery stalks, thinly diced
2 Ontario apples*, peeled and finely diced
3 Tbs (45 mL) butter
1 Tbs (15 mL) fresh sage leaves, finely chopped
1 cup (250 mL) vegetable stock
½ cup (125 mL) walnuts, roughly chopped
1 small loaf of day-old sourdough or French bread, cut into ¼ inch cubes (approximately 5 cups)

1. Preheat oven to 350°F/175°C.

2. Cut acorn squash in half lengthwise. Remove the seeds. Season the     inside with salt and pepper. Place cut side down on a baking sheet  lined with parchment. Bake about 30 minutes or until soft.

3. Meanwhile, in a large sauce pan heat olive oil. Add mushrooms and sauté for 3-4 minutes. Add celery and continue to sauté for 5 minutes.   Lower heat and add apples. Continue to cook until apples become  tender, about 5 minutes. To the pan add butter, sage, and vegetable stock. Heat just until butter is melted. Remove from heat and allow to     cool.

4. Place chopped walnuts and diced bread in a large bowl. Pour warm vegetable stock mixture over bread. Using your hands toss the bread until it is well coated and most of stock is absorbed.

5. Remove squash from oven and turn it cut side up. Divide the stuffing among each squash half; spoon the stuffing into the cavity of each squash until filled. Return to 350°F/175°C oven and bake until stuffing is golden brown, approximately 15-20 minutes.

6. Serve hot alongside a festive ham or weeknight roast chicken.

7. Serve and Enjoy!

Servings: 8

Tip: Use Ontario Idared, Golden Delicious, Honeycrisp, or Empire  apples.

Source: Mushroom Canada and Ontario Apple Growers

Have a great day - stay well, stay safe, stay home (that last bit's for me as much as you).
 

17 comments:

  1. So glad the food was yummy and you got bananas! Win win!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Guess what? Late last night I made more soup and the pot blew. But ... my ring was off somehow. So I washed the lid and replaced the ring. No problems.

      Glad the food was yummy and that you have bananas.

      Delete
  2. Hi Jo - glad you enjoyed the Chinese meal ... and now have bananas ... take care - lots to make sure you get what you need and as you say stay safe - all the best Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it was good Hilary, thanks. We are staying safe, hardly put my nose out of the door.

      Delete
  3. Hooray for having faith in people restored.
    And for bananas.
    It is a while since I have made hot-cross buns, but with yeast unavailable they won't be a happening thing this year.
    That stuffed squash sounds good - thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, there are lots of kind people Sue. Me too, with the Hot Cross Buns and the home made ones are so good.

      Delete
  4. Don't feel bad, Jo. Ever since I retired I forget what day it is. One day is pretty much the same as the next, and that is especially true these days, when I have no presentations, no teaching, no bird banding sessions, no walks to lead etc. And for this atheist, Good Friday is not a star attraction on my calendar!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know it is difficult to keep track of the days David. I wonder what the churches are doing today with no worshipers. Never thought of that. Well at least you still get out into the country David. Easter, to me, is full of chocolate bunnies.

      Delete
  5. Yup, it's Good Friday today!
    Don't give up on humanity. Most of us are still a good bunch. (And in your case, a bunch of bananas!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too true Alex although I assume no church.
      I haven't really given up on humanity, but what has been happening the last couple of days has surprised me. The banana deliverer is a pastor by the way.

      Delete
  6. The Caremonger group was in the news here! I'm glad they are there to take care of you. I'm also glad you can still eat restaurant food. We have delivery and take out options and we use them because we are trying to help as best we can, and we also like a change every now and then. We had Mexican last night!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure how many restaurants are open here Lisa, or open for deliveries, I need to check it out. Mexican sounds good. I am so upset you won't be here for asparagus season after all.

      Delete
  7. Now you have your bananas!

    I love acorn squash. I'm going to copy that recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I do, thank goodness Diane.

      Haven't tried it but it looks like a good recipe. Will have to have a go later.

      Delete
  8. Glad you got bananas and had some Chinese food.and I forgot about hot crossed buns

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't see this message Birgit. I forgot too.

      Delete