Tuesday, March 5, 2019

Urology, Tornado Disaster, Mardi Gras, Traditions,

It turns out Matt has a small kidney stone. I understand they can be painful although the doc said it was about 75% through. He now has pills to relax his urethra at night to assist the passage. I know one person who had a lot of kidney stones over the years and suffered quite badly with them. I don't really know what causes them, I will have to look it up.

Terrible news about the Tornadoes in Alabama yesterday. They flattened a swath about a mile wide and at last count I heard 23 dead. One family survived by crouching into their bath tub. Trouble is not all bath tubs are iron any more so I imagine wouldn't be as safe. Apparently one of the tornadoes had 170 mph winds and was an EF-4. My sympathies go out to all the people with such great losses. Apparently the storms started so quickly people didn't have time to take shelter. Scary things tornadoes. Two on virtually the same path at the same time is horrific.

As you know, today is Mardi Gras and I have just heard about King Cake, think I might have heard of it before, looked up a recipe, somewhat complicated. It also includes a plastic baby and whoever gets that has to host a Mardi Gras party the following year. It's amazing how many different country traditions have something hidden in a cake. I remember as a kid we had a silver sixpence hidden in our Christmas Puddings. Whoever got it was supposed to have a lucky year. Once upon a time I had a charm bracelet which was all silver sixpenny pieces. I gave it to my cousin and it was stolen from her. Pity, this one is for sale on Etsy for almost $90. 

Since it is Mardi Gras, here's another southern recipe.

Singing Shrimp

Here is a dish from the famous Commander's Palace restaurant in New Orleans, where it is often
prepared at tableside. It's quick and easy, and oh so elegant.

8 Tbs (120 ml) butter
2-4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1/2 cup (125 ml) chopped scallions (spring onions), green and white parts
1/2 cup (125 ml) sliced fresh mushrooms
4 to 6 large shrimp per person, peeled and deveined
2 Tbs (30 ml) brandy
1 tsp (5 ml) Worcestershire sauce
Salt and cayenne pepper to taste
Toast points for garnish

Heat the butter in a large skillet over moderate heat and sauté the garlic, scallions, and mushrooms until tender, about 5 minutes. Add the shrimp and cook until they turn pink, about 3 minutes. Add the brandy, Worcestershire sauce, salt, and cayenne and cook an additional 2 to 3 minutes, stirring frequently.Serve over toast points or rice.

Servings: 4

Source: WW Recipes

Have a great day
 

17 comments:

  1. Hi Jo - it's good to know that Matt's problem can be resolved ... I hope it's sorted quickly for him. Enjoy pancake day ... as too Mardi Gras - I love pancakes with lemon ... simple, but good. The Singing Shrimp looks good - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Except he might not enjoy the final resolution Hilary. I had forgotten it was Pancake Day, thanks for the reminder. Yes, I like mine simple too.

      Delete
  2. I had one kidney stone when I was young and that was enough.
    Tornadoes were terrible yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I hope he won't have any problems, fingers crossed Alex.

      They were terrible. Not much warning either.

      Delete
  3. Kidney stones are worse than childbirth. I had one so big it had to be surgically removed - after the kidney shut down. And then the kidney got infected. It was three months of agony. Scans still show them in the kidneys (I have three of them) and occasionally I will feel pain for a few hours and then it passes. Lots of theories on why they form, but I never fit those patterns so who knows.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a horrifying piece of information Denise. So far he hasn't had any pain but of course that can change. I hope Matt doesn't have to go what you went through.

      Delete
  4. One thing that causes kidney stones is animal protein.

    I saw a video of the big tornado. It was massive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. well you certainly are not at risk then Diane.

      What we saw on the news was scary enough for anyone.

      Delete
  5. My sister lives in the south and it always worries me that she has no basement. Her tornado plan is to go to the interior of the house, usually the bathroom (she says the pipes, etc. make the bathroom more structurally sound), climb in the tub, and pull a mattress over the tub. Though how you could ever have time to drag a mattress into the bathroom is beyond me. If I lived in a tornado area, I'd have to make a shelter. I wouldn't be able to sleep at night. Years ago, we had storms going through that were tornado-like and I made my family sleep in the basement.

    Conner was diagnosed with kidney stones last month. I have read that calcium causes them, but not real sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I would be worried about your sister too Liz. Maybe she should keep a mattress in the bathroom at all times.

      Sorry Connor has kidney stones too, they can be very painful

      Delete
  6. I have had a kidney stone and it is very painful and it had to be extracted. The dr messed up too which caused some issues after and I gave him a one sentence deal of how I felt which was "If I was strong enough, I would get out of this bed and knock your F&*% head off." Funny, I never saw him again but the nurses loved what I said. I hope Matt will be ok. I find tornadoes terrifying like it is the devil's twirling finger at work. I feel bad for the people who lost loves ones and lost all they had.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope I never get one Birgit, Matt's is supposed to be pretty small so hopefully he will pass it without too much problem. Glad you told the doctor LOL. Apparently there was one family of 7 who were totally wiped out.

      Delete
  7. I wouldn't make the king cake....it looks like too much work. Haydel's makes the best on the planet. Very sad about the tornadoes though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does look like a lot of work JoJo. It was, very sad.

      Delete
  8. I too, am sorry to hear of the devastation. I am from the south, and lived in Texas for 18 years, so was familiar with living with the threat. It was never easy, but you do get used to it, like hurricanes. Glad the kidney stone isn't too bad for Matt to recover from.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah but at least you get a good warning with a hurricane Lisa, you don't always with a tornado.

      Thanks

      Delete
  9. Hello,

    Welcome to technechhacks where problems are been solved,

    we deal with the total functioning of sites like



    + SOCIAL MEDIA (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, google hangout etc.)

    + BANK ACCOUNTS

    + ICLOUD

    + CRIMINAL RECORDS

    + SCHOOL GRADES

    + CREDIT SCORES

    + SPOUSES PHONE

    + BTC RECOVERY

    + BTC MINING


    Thus bewere of scammers because most persons are been scammed and they ended up getting all solutions to their cyber bullies and attacks by US.

    I am Jason williams one of the leading hack agent.

    PURPOSE IS TO GET YOUR JOBS DONE AT EXACTLY NEEDED TIME REQUESTED!!!



    And our WORK SUCCESS IS 100%!!!



    I’m always available for you when you need help.

    Contact or write us on:

    Technechhacks@gmail.com or
    Intelcorehacks@gmail.com

    Thanks for your time.

    ReplyDelete