Thursday, March 21, 2019

Cooking, Medical, Bowling, Instant Pot Merger,

I goofed with my chicken and defrosted way too much plus it was chicken thighs not breasts. I had intended to do the Tikka Masala recipe but ended up doing a kind of French Garlic Chicken which had yoghurt in the marinade. As it turned out it was good. Of course I ended up with way too much chicken and not sure how many leftovers I have, one or two days. I need to keep my mind on what I am doing I guess.

Still using the TENS machine on Matt's back and it does seem to be helping him he is moving around a lot better - will be interesting to see what the therapist says on Friday. I had forgotten Matt was getting a bath stool - the kind which is half in and half out of the bath, but when they phoned to say they were delivering it today, I cancelled it as he is getting in and out of the shower OK now. Still waiting for the new "wheelie" (walker) though, not heard anything about that.

Because we are not sure when it's coming, we will be unlikely to be able to go bowling. Maybe Matt should leave it a bit longer although he does have the Tension Belt to wear. We both miss going bowling but them's the breaks I guess.

Just come across an article about Instant Pot merging with Corelle - apparently it is already a huge seller so they figure it may become a world wide phenomenon. It is certainly very popular with me and a number of my friends. Only trouble is, I need to get rid of my slow cooker for a start.

Here's a simple, but interesting way of serving Flank Steak. It is a cut of meat I like but it does need to be tenderised and it should always be cut on the bias. Of course we don't have a barbecue so I would have  to cook it on my indoor/outdoor grill I guess. Even the Instapot can't emulate that I don't think. I noticed Amazon.ca had a whole bunch of Instant Pot accessories on sale today. I tried not to look although they did have things for my smaller pot. Sigh.

Lemon-Garlic-Marinated Flank Steak

Chef Jimmy Bannos, Jr., of Chicago's The Purple Pig, swears by his double-marinating technique. Here, he marinates his steak before it goes on the grill in a tangy lemon marinade and then gives it a
quick dunk in a clean batch of marinade when it's hot off the grill. Bonus: The high amount of acid in the marinade also makes tougher cuts like flank and skirt steak extra tender.

20 garlic cloves, peeled
2 1/4 cups extra-virgin olive oil
Kosher salt Pepper
2 1 1/4 lb flank steaks
1 1/2 cups fresh lemon juice (from about 8 lemons)
2 Tbs dried oregano

1. In a small saucepan, cover the garlic cloves with 1 1/2 cups of the olive oil and cook over low heat until the garlic is tender and golden brown, 35 to 40 minutes. Strain the garlic through a fine sieve set over a small bowl; reserve the garlicky olive oil for another use. In a small bowl, mash the garlic with 1 1/2 tablespoons of salt and 1 1/2 teaspoons of pepper. Rub 3 tablespoons of the garlic paste all over the flank steaks

2. In a medium bowl, whisk the lemon juice with the remaining 3/4 cup of olive oil and the oregano. Place the steaks in a 9-by-13-inch baking dish and coat with 1 1/2 cups of the lemony marinade. Let stand at room temperature for 1 hour.

3.  Light a grill. Remove the steaks from the marinade, pat dry and season with salt and pepper. Discard the marinade. Grill the steaks over moderately high heat, turning once, until lightly charred and an instant-read thermometer inserted in the thickest part registers 125°, 8 to 10 minutes. Dip the grilled steaks in the remaining marinade in the bowl and transfer to a carving board. Spread the remaining garlic paste on the steaks and let stand for 5 minutes. Thinly slice the meat against the grain and serve.

Serve With French fries.

Yield: 6 to 8

Author Notes
Both the garlic rub and the marinade can be refrigerated overnight. Bring to room temperature before using.

Source: Food and Wine

Have a great day
 

8 comments:

  1. Was the stool free? Might need it someday anyway.
    Wait for his wheelie. He'll be even better by then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it was free, but only for a couple of weeks Alex. However, today I think he could have used it.

      I do hope so.

      Delete
  2. My dad had one of those seat for the tub and it worked very well. Sometimes you can find them in second hand shops for much less! I'm still licking my chops from that garlic chicken!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He had one when he broke his ankle bone Lisa, we get 2 weeks free rental. But yesterday I thought he didn't need it - today he suddenly does again. He will get it for 2 weeks as usual.

      Delete
  3. Hope the chair, when it comes does help Matt. I know ankle injuries can be niggly for so long.

    That flank steak sounds delicious and I'm either emailing it to myself or copying the recipe somehow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, Mork, it's his back that is bothering him. To all intents and purposes the ankle bone is healed - I believe.

      If you can't get it, I will email the recipe to you, let me know.

      Delete
  4. I believe you can get the shower chair and other stuff where you might only have to pay a small amount but you have to apply for it and will involve the Doctor again. I think Matt will have good and bad days

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At the moment Birgit, we can get all kinds of equipment on loan through CCAC but technically only for a fortnight. Yes, it does involve the doctor and then the therapist.

      It seems you are right. He has had a hissy fit about the bath stool so it is now sitting in his bedroom!!

      Delete