Saturday, March 23, 2019

Rice Cooking,

I have been wanting to cook rice in my Instant Pot since I got it, but all the recipes made too much rice. Then I Googled and found I can keep cooked rice, in the fridge, for 4-6 days. Everything I had been reading had frightened me off keeping rice. So Friday evening I made Thai Pineapple Shrimp Curry and put 1 cup Basmati, 1 cup water and a smidgin of salt in the Instant Pot. I cooked it for 4 minutes and allowed it to vent naturally for 10 minutes. It was great and I have enough for leftovers. I am so pleased because I frequently boil over the small amount of rice I cook in a pan. So, three cheers. Tomorrow I am doing the Pork Tenderloin I did a couple of weeks or so ago.

I have never heard of this cake before and yet I can taste it. From the description before the recipe, it sounds absolutely wonderful.

The Best Hummingbird Cake

Hummingbird Cake is a fantastic combination of banana bread and carrot cake (sans the carrots) with
a touch of pineapple! This recipe never disappoints and delivers a special treat for any occasion.

3 cups flour (gluten free or regular)
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup packed light brown sugar
3 large eggs , room temperature
1 cup vegetable oil
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup fresh pineapple , crushed (see below)
2 cups roasted bananas* , mashed (approximately 4 large or 6 medium-small bananas with peel left on; instructions below)
1 cup chopped pecans
Parchment paper to line bottom of the cake pan
Ingredients for Cream Cheese Frosting:
1 ½ sticks unsalted butter , chilled
3 8-ounce packages of cream cheese , chilled
1 tsp vanilla
1 ½ cups powdered sugar , sifted
1 ½ cups finely chopped pecans

1. Preheat the oven to 350°F

2. How to Roast Bananas

3. Place bananas on a cookie sheet with peels left on. Bake in the oven for 12 minutes until the skins are black (the bananas may leak which is fine). NOTE: Leave the oven heated to 350 degrees.

4. Remove and let cool until they can be handled. Peel bananas, place in a small mixing bowl and mash. Set aside.

5. Peel bananas, place in a small mixing bowl and mash. Set aside.

6. Making the Hummingbird Cake

7. Butter and flour 3-9 inch round baking pans.

8. Trace the bottom of the pan (for all three pans) onto parchment paper, cut out circle and place in the bottom of each pan.

9. In a sifter over a large mixing bowl combine the flour, cinnamon, baking soda and salt. Sift into the bowl. Set aside.

10. In a second large mixing bowl combine the granulated and brown sugar; stir to combine.

11. Add the eggs and stir briskly by hand to combine all ingredients into a smooth mixture.

12. Whisk the oil and vanilla into the sugar/egg mixture until combined and smooth.

13. Add the flour mixture all at once and hand stir (do not beat) to combine the mixture fully.

14. To crush the pineapple: Place 1 cup of finely diced fresh pineapple in a medium mixing bowl and using a potato masher, crush the pineapple.

15. Add the crushed pineapple fruit and juice to the batter.

16. Add the mashed banana and the pecans. Stir just until combined; do not over stir.

17. Divide the batter evenly between the three pans. Tap the pans on the countertop to release any air bubbles and place in the 350 degree oven for 25-30 minutes until cake bounces back to the touch and a toothpick inserted in the cake comes out clean.

18. Allow to cool in pans on racks for 5 minutes then turn out onto cooling racks to fully cool before frosting. NOTE: Be sure to peel off and discard the parchment paper.

19. Instructions for Cream Cheese Frosting:

20. Cut sticks of chilled butter into 1 inch pieces and place in the bowl of a standing mixer (can use a hand held mixer if needed). Beat on low speed, gradually increasing speed to medium until the butter is still cool but has softened together (about 3 minutes).

21. Cut the cream cheese into 1 inch strips and add to the butter. Mix at medium speed until fully combined, and smooth.

22. Add the vanilla and slowly add the sifted powdered sugar. Beat until well blended, increasing speed to beat on medium-high for 3 minutes or until the frosting becomes light and fluffy.

23. Fold in pecans by hand.

24. Instructions for Cake Assembly:

25. Place the first layer of cake upside down (the bottom of the cake will be frosted) on the serving plate. Cover with 2/3 cup of frosting. This will be a thin covering.

26. Place the second layer of cake right side up (flat cake bottom onto the frosting) and frost the top of this layer with 2/3 cup again (note: I found I needed just a bit more to cover this layer).

27. Place the last cake layer with cake right side up and use the remaining frosting to cover top of cake and the sides.

28. Allow cake to stand at room temperature 30 minutes before serving and store any uneaten cake in the refrigerator. Cake best when made the day prior to serving!

Servings: 12

Source: Boulder Locavore

Have a great weekend
 

10 comments:

  1. We always cook extra rice and use it the next day or two. It keeps in the fridge really well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never have Alex because there is so much information on the dangers of keeping cooked rice.

      Delete
    2. Please elaborate. Chinese restaurants always send you home with leftover rice. Is it an evil plot? lol

      Delete
    3. Well you have checked it out now Denise. 4-6 days seems to be safe. Or freeze as per Sue below.

      Delete
  2. I've always kept leftover rice, especially now that I live alone. I just add a tbsp of water or so when I nuke it.
    I have so many recipes for hummingbird cake, yet I have never actually made one. Maybe I should do that for Easter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good tip Denise, I hadn't thought of doing that.

      I'd never heard of Hummingbird Cake. If you make it, send me a piece LOL

      Delete
  3. I usually freeze leftover rice (put it in containers/wrap whilst still warm so it stays moist). Great for egg fried rice etc., that way I'm not forced to use it next day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never thought of that, but I planned to eat it soon anyway Sue, but will remember freezing it in future.

      Delete
  4. The Hummingbird Cake in the south is VERY popular and one can find it almost anywhere! Wow, that was quick rice, and I have always made more than I need and eaten it throughout the week...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Odd I have never heard of it before Lisa. It was quick, I was delighted.

      Delete