Friday, March 8, 2019

Thursday

Tell you something, Thursday was cold enough to give a brass monkey problems. I couldn't get warm all day and I am still shivering. Looking forward to getting into bed, maybe with a hot water bottle.

I made my tomato soup today, my smaller Instant Pot just makes 4 servings which is not quite as much as I would normally make, but it was so quick - apart from the prep - I might make another batch tomorrow. I also pickled me some more cauliflower. I don't do it properly, but just pour brine over the cauliflower with mustard seeds, peppercorns and garlic in the jar. Seal it up for a couple of days and then dig in. When the asparagus season comes in, I will do it properly with a water bath etc.

Thursday afternoon we went bowling and I sat freezing in the bowling alley. When I left I told them I would see them in the summer. I beat Matt by 1 point in the first game and just a few more in the second. Matt was warm enough, but I was too cold to bowl well.

On the way home, picked up some groceries then relaxed for the rest of the day.

Here's a dish that looks good. Must see if I can adapt it for the Instapot. Sorry, really am cold, off to bed.

Roman-Style Chicken

Chicken breasts and thighs, vegetables, prosciutto, tomatoes and herbs make up a dish that's perfect
for a share-plate dinner.

4 skinless chicken breast halves, with ribs
2 skinless chicken thighs, with bones
½ tsp salt, plus 1 tsp
½ tsp freshly ground black pepper, plus 1 tsp
¼ cup olive oil
1 red bell pepper, sliced
1 yellow bell pepper, sliced
3 oz prosciutto, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 can (15-oz) tomatoes, diced
½ cup white wine
1 Tbs fresh thyme leaves
1 tsp fresh oregano leaves
½ cup chicken stock
2 Tbs capers
¼ cup fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves, chopped

1. Season the chicken with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. In a heavy, large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. When the oil is hot, cook the chicken until browned on both sides. Remove from the pan and set aside.

2. Keeping the same pan over medium heat, add the peppers and prosciutto and cook until the peppers have browned and the prosciutto is crisp, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add the tomatoes, wine, and herbs. Using a wooden spoon, scrape the browned bits off the bottom of the pan. Return the chicken to the pan, add the stock, and bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, covered, until the chicken is cooked through, about 20 to 30 minutes.

3. If serving immediately, add the capers and the parsley. Stir to combine and serve. If making ahead of time, transfer the chicken and sauce to a storage container, cool, and refrigerate. The next day, reheat the chicken to a simmer over medium heat. Stir in the capers and the parsley and serve.

Servings: 6

Author: Giada De Laurentiis

Have a great day
 

8 comments:

  1. Hey, look - spam!
    If you have to bundle up like the kid in A Christmas Story, then you won't be able to bowl...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not just on this blog Alex.

      Too right. I am warmer today.

      Delete
  2. You were cold and still beat Matt! That's awesome, LOL! Sorry you were so cold. Hope today is better. Our heating seems to run full time now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL Lisa. Yes today is better. Not sure why I couldn't get warm yesterday, mind you it was bitter outside with a nasty wind.

      Delete
  3. Have you ever tried silk long johns? They are thin and warm. I would wear them to football games because they add another layer of warmth without the added bulk.

    I've never made tomato soup that wasn't in a can, but my mom used to and it was delicious. I should try it sometime.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never even heard of them Liz, but I will look into it.

      You must try making your own, much better than the canned stuff and you can keep some in the freezer for a long time.

      Delete
  4. It's awful to get a chill you can't shake. I've stood in a hot shower for 15 minutes to try and warm up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right JoJo, but I remember once, many years ago, defeating such a chill with a nice hot bath. Unfortunately, these days, I can't sit down and then get up out of a bath. Didn't think of getting in the shower, but a hot water bottle worked.

      Delete