Friday, March 29, 2019

Medical, Bunnies, Age,

Having been up at the crack of dawn, for me anyway, we went, by cab, to the hospital where I was quickly ushered into the Nuclear Imaging Dept. After they had pumped me full of gas then given me an injection and taken lots of pictures of my lungs, I was allowed to put my coat back on and eventually a doctor came to see me to tell me that my lungs had no blood clots. I didn't think so, one of the few parts of my body that does seem to work.

Got some more shopping again this afternoon including our Lindt Gold Bunnies for Easter. (Don't tell anyone, we have already eaten one each). I ought to get us some lamb for Easter. Will have to check into it. One thing our grocery doesn't do well. However, the store "up the road" where I bought my smoked haddock has a good butchers, they might have lamb. Costco has great lamb of course, but those stores are too huge for me these days, couldn't walk that far any more. 

Funny, went into the liquor store and when we came out, a guy opened his car window and commented about it being no fun getting old, he then said he was 86. I told him he had us beat. That reminds me, one of the volunteers told me they had a female volunteer working in the hospital who was 106!!!! Now that's incredible. Mind you it seems age is just a number these days. When I was a kid, people my age were positively ancient - which they were - pretty decrepit bunch as I recall. Mind you some of them are anyway today.

Somehow we got Granny Smith Apples the other day by mistake so I wanted a pork and apples recipe. This is the one I found. I plan to cook it for Saturday.

Pork Tenderloin with Roasted Apples and Onions

1 large pork tenderloin (about 14 ounces)
3 Tbs olive oil, divided
2 Tbs whole grain Dijon mustard
2 tsp fennel seeds
1 large onion, sliced
2 medium Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, sliced 1/4 inch thick
1/2 cup dry white wine or apple cider

1. Preheat oven to 450°F. Season pork with salt and pepper.

2. Heat 2 tablespoons oil in large nonstick ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat. Add pork and sear until all sides are brown, turning occasionally, about 5 minutes. Transfer pork to plate. Cool slightly. Spread mustard over top and sides of pork; press fennel seeds into mustard. Add remaining 1 tablespoon oil to skillet. Add onion slices and apples; sauté over medium heat until golden, about 5 minutes. Spread evenly in skillet and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place pork atop apple-onion mixture.

3. Transfer skillet to oven and roast until apple-onion mixture is soft and brown and meat thermometer inserted into center of pork registers 150°F, about 15 minutes. Transfer pork to platter and tent with foil. Let stand 5 minutes.

4. Meanwhile, pour white wine over apple-onion mixture in skillet. Stir mixture over high heat until slightly reduced, about 2 minutes. Cut pork on diagonal into 1/2-inch-thick slices. Spoon apple-onion mixture onto plates. Top with pork and serve

Servings: 4

Source: BON APPÉTIT

Have a great day
 

18 comments:

  1. Hi Jo - glad your lungs are clear ... let's hope they can work out a way of helping you. I agree those stores can be huge. Lamb is always delicious. While pork and apple - can do no wrong there ... take care - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad they found nothing on your lungs!
    I hope I'm still getting around that well when I'm over a hundred.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to hear the good news. I am going to pick up a honey-baked ham for Easter. Making things easy on myself this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Denise. Not a bad idea. Will see what I can find.

      Delete
  4. I hope I make it to 100! My husband's great grandmother was 106 when she passed in 1987. I'm so glad your lungs are clear. See, I think you're on the way out of that "little" slump. Hope you can find some good lamb. My hubby loves it, and we buy it ground as well, to add to anything we get a "hankering" for!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not just making it to 100 Lisa, it's making it in good condition, especially mentally. I hope you are right about my slump. Yup, good stuff, lamb.

      Delete
  5. My grandma mowed her lawn into her 80's. Her goal was to keel over working in her lawn.

    I'm glad to hear your lungs are good. And it's okay to eat the chocolate. It's the Easter season, so celebrate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's pretty incredible Liz. Did she keel over working on the lawn?

      So was I. Chocolate is good for me, right?

      Delete
  6. I'm relieved to hear your lungs are doing okay.

    I love hearing about centenarians.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, so was I Cynthia.

      There are more and more of them these days.

      Delete
  7. I have crap lungs, so very happy to hear you got a clean sheet (or whatever the correct term is for a set of good lungs!

    PS: If you ever wanted to change the title of your blog, you could go with "The Jo-ys" of getting old :)

    PS: *Best wishes* when you call in tomorrow re. your Friday appointment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mork. Were/are you a smoker? I was but quit 20 odd years ago. My father spent his last years smoking Spanish cigarettes before he got lung cancer

      LOL. And thanks for the best wishes, will be writing about it tomorrow

      Delete
  8. Glad to hear the good report on your lungs. We'll have ham for Easter. I've never cooked lamb. My daughter has spent some time in the Middle East and she never wants to eat lamb again after having it so often.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Susan. Lots of North Americans have ham but in some parts of Europe (especially Greece) lamb is traditional. I've heard that before, but I cannot imagine getting tired of it.

      Delete


  9. I like viewing web sites which comprehend the price of delivering the excellent useful resource free of charge. I truly adored reading your posting. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. If more people that write articles really concerned themselves with writing great content like you, more readers would be interested in their writings. Thank you for caring about your content.

    ReplyDelete