Wednesday, March 20, 2019

Books, Wheelies, Cooking, DVD,

I have been reading a lot of Jeff Wheeler books lately. I think I read some of his before - he has at least a couple of worlds interconnected but only one magic although it has different names in different worlds. Just checked, yes, I read his Kingfountain series which I remember thoroughly enjoying. I have just been reading his Harbinger series but, much to my disgust, the 5th and final book, is not out til the summer this year.

Supposed to get a new walker for Matt this week. He has a loaner at the moment. The government will pay a large percentage apparently (I could have gone this way but didn't know the details although I should have been told) which means you can get a better wheelie (my name for them) then the insurance will pay the balance. Of course when we go bowling, canes will be in order. We couldn't get two wheelies in the trunk, not sure we could get one in the back seat anyway.  Planning to make the Instant Pot Chicken Tikka Masala tomorrow night. Tonight (Tuesday)we had leftover IP Mac and Cheese.

I also ordered another Celtic Thunder DVD. Matt does so like them. Well so do I of course. Amazon Prime is definitely dangerous.

Such Korean foods as I have eaten have always delighted my palette so I figure this one won't be any different. Mind you, the word Kimchi always perks up my interest. I have a recipe for Kimchi and keep meaning to give it a go. We have a Korean shop near to us so getting the ingredients should be no trouble. Mind you it does sound pretty spicy.

Kimchi Jjigae

This warming, comforting stew gets its spicy-funky flavor from a mix of kimchi, gochugaru, and gochujang. Soft slices of tofu are the traditional companion, but any vegetable or meat would make good company.

6 oz pork belly or pork shoulder or 4 oz. bacon
1 small onion, finely chopped
2 cups chopped Napa cabbage kimchi with juices
2 Tbs gochugaru (coarse Korean hot pepper flakes)
1 Tbs gochujang (Korean hot pepper paste)
8 oz firm tofu, cut into 1" pieces
2 scallions, thinly sliced
Cooked rice (for serving)

1. Slice pork belly into long strips about ½" thick, then thinly slice strips crosswise. Heat a small pot over medium. Add pork belly and cook, stirring often, until some fat has cooked out into the pan and meat is cooked through but not browned, about 3 minutes. Pour off all but 1 Tbsp. fat (if needed). Add onion and cook, stirring often, until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add kimchi and juices and cook, stirring occasionally, until liquid evaporates and kimchi is softened, about 5 minutes.

2. Add gochugaru, gochujang, and 2 cups water and bring to a simmer over medium-high. Reduce heat to medium and cook, stirring occasionally, until kimchi is very tender and flavors in stew come together, 20–30 minutes.

3. Add tofu to stew and cook until heated through, about 3 minutes. Divide stew among bowls and top with scallions. Serve with rice alongside.

Servings: 4

Do Ahead: Stew can be made 4 days ahead. Let cool; cover and chill.

Source: Bon Appétit

Have a great day
 

10 comments:

  1. Does the walker fold up? My mom's would collapse and could be set in the back seat.

    Amazon Prime is very dangerous. So many good things to buy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it does Liz. But it is still heavy to put in the trunk or back seat. Don't forget we have two of them now.

      I have just seen an email with a whole lot of things for my Instant Pot - no, Josephine you don't need them.

      Delete
  2. Wheelies! Sounds like you two are drag racing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Substitute veggie bacon and I could make that dish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Came across a bean dish Diane - curried - which was vegetarian all but the ghee. Guess you could have subbed something for that.

      Delete
  4. Never heard walkers called wheelies before but it makes sense. Having a good one will make it easier to use.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strictly speaking they are called rollators Susan, most people call them walkers, but wheelies just got stuck in my head.

      Delete
  5. I thought the same as Alex when I read Wheelies! The visual on that...!!!
    Some of them can be heavy, but they do make light ones as well. Could you look into those?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We will have to get the stop watch out Lisa.

      I think these are fairly light, just us not very strong these days probably.

      Delete