Monday, March 25, 2019

British Rivers, Medical,

Well,  being a weekend nothing much happened to us I'm afraid. Sunday night watched Jeremy Paxton's Rivers about British waterways. I had no idea there were so many rivers in Britain, apparently there are over 6,000 which figure astounds me. For a tiny island that is a lot of waterways. His programme only covers 4 rivers - three of which are the Tweed, the Severn and the Thames. Not sure what the fourth will be. It is incredible what one learns about the country of one's birth having left it. This is the one about the Thames.


Tuesday, tomorrow, I finally get to see a cardiologist. I have an ecg first I gather and then get to see the doctor. Will have to get cracking as I am not 100% certain where the office is. I have never been to that area of town. I have, of course, googled, but it's not quite the same as having been there before.

Oh, for those who are interested, my rice, with the addition of a little water, came out fine. Thanks.

It's funny, for years I have been making cucumber salad with a recipe I inherited from my mother. Never really questioned it. Then a similar recipe just turned up on Food and Wine. The way we made it was to cover the cucumber with salt for a while until it wilted then rinse it and add sugar and white wine vinegar, never any onion. In fact, over the years, I have tended to make it much like this recipe but still with white wine vinegar. From the picture, it looks like white was used anyway. Might try adding onion next time.

Cucumber Salad

1 lb seedless cucumbers, thinly sliced crosswise on a mandoline
1 1/2 tsp sugar
1 1/2 tsp kosher salt
2 1/2 Tbs red wine vinegar
1/2 small onion, thinly sliced

1. In a medium bowl, toss the cucumber slices with the sugar and salt and let stand for 5 minutes. Stir in the vinegar and onion and refrigerate for 10 minutes, then serve.

Servings: 4

Source: Food and Wine

Have a great day
 

13 comments:

  1. Hi Jo - Paxman loves his rivers and waterways are always fascinating. Love cucumber salad - more importantly good luck with the cardio and I sure hope they can help you - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish he would do more of them Hilary, I enjoyed the ones he has done. I hope they can too.

      Delete
  2. I watched a program called The Prince at 70. It was about Prince Charles and was very interesting. He is an impressive person.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Denise, I always felt sorry for him during the Diana days, he weathered it very well I think.

      Delete
  3. Hope you can find the place.
    We make our cucumber salad with white vinegar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So do I Alex. Gotta do some more googling.

      Only logical surely.

      Delete
    2. By the way, going to drive there this aft Alex.

      Delete
  4. I saw that, too, about Prince Charles. Very well done I thought.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope the dr appointment goes well and you're given a clean bill of health! There is a British show, CountryFile, I started watching with my mother in law in France and I really like it. I wish I could watch it here in the states. They did a two part episode on the Queen that was brilliant. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Countryfile. So much information about the UK.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lisa. Maybe Country File will come over here, lots of English programmes do, lots don't of course.

      Delete
  6. I am not sure if we watched part of this series. I recall watching episodes where you saw people living on their boats and going down the waterways. It looked so pretty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is pretty Birgit, especially upstream although London is much better than it was.

      Delete