Thursday, March 28, 2019

Car Troubles, Medical, Red Lobster,

With everything that is happening, or has been happening, I decided Mercury must be in Retrograde. Sure enough it is, until tomorrow. March 5 - 28. Having told you about the accident, took the car in this morning and it turns out that the Emergency Brake Cable - which I had to use when they were jacking up the car - was seized so needed a new cable. Then, when they took the donut wheel off they found one of the bolts had been cross threaded when my helpers had put the wheel back so that snapped when they tried to undo it. There are a list of small problems which happened, I thought there might be, so we haven't got the car back and when we do the bill will break us!!!

Then the cardiologist called, he is worried about my lungs and wants to be sure there isn't a blood clot, or something, so I have to go in for an exam at the hospital tomorrow, at 8:30. Who gets up so early. So, I have been trying to get a ride. The ones I have been using are all booked up, a friend who lives locally is not home today, and so on and so on. My husband is extremely upset about this new test, I think he believes it is more serious than it is and I can't reassure him.  Still got another day of Mercury Retrograde, help. Apparently one is supposed to take a step back and analyse things during Mercury Retrograde, not blame it for the bad things which happen. Funny how the bad things happen then you realise what the dates are. I had never heard of it before JoJo mentioned it.

Finally, late afternoon, I called the garage and they said they were just about to call me. They sent a cab to pick us up and when I came to pay the bill, it was about $200 less than they had told me, however, the cable for the emergency brake which had been delivered was the wrong side, left instead of right, or vice versa, so for the moment I haven't got an emergency brake. However, as Tuesday was the first time I had ever used it, I am not too worried. As the garage guy said, just don't park on a steep hill, I asked him where there was such a thing round here!! I am to take the car back when I can bearing in mind my hospital visit tomorrow. We went straight from the garage to the Red Lobster and gorged ourselves. It really is a good restaurant, the food is excellent and the staff are too. On the way in I used the electronic buttons to open the doors, the first doors didn't open so I mentioned it to the hostesss. On the way out, they told me the buttons worked OK now and then the next thing we knew, the manager was opening the doors for us anyway and we were discussing electronic door openers.  Marvellous place.

I have ordered a cab to pick us up at 8 a.m. tomorrow. I gather I have to go to nuclear imaging. I went there last November. So, gotta go to bed early as I/we have to get up early.

I, of course, love lamb and thought this sounded like an interesting recipe.

Spiced Lamb Kebabs with Fresh Herbs

For the one-year anniversary of her company, Diaspora Co., Sana Javeri Kadri and her supporters prepared a turmeric-spiced banquet. You can buy her ruddy, flavorful ground turmeric online at diasporaco.com. In this recipe, aromatic lamb and creamy chickpeas soften into a crispy, moist patty once cooked. Look for chana dal and asafoetida at local Indian grocers or online.“These pan-fried lamb and chickpea patties are an ode to my Gujarati Muslim heritage on my father’s side,” Javeri
Kadri says. They’re stuffed with onions and herbs, then cooked and served with big scoops of fresh green chutney and yogurt. To make them ahead of time, prepare the kebabs through step 4, then freeze for up to 1 month, thawing fully before proceeding. You can find chana dal and asafoetida powder in Indian markets or online.

1 lb ground lamb
1 cup dried chana dal (split chickpeas)
1 cup water
3 Tbs ghee, divided
1 tsp finely grated garlic (about 1 large garlic clove)
1 tsp finely grated peeled fresh ginger (from 1 [1/2-inch] piece)
1 tsp ancho chile powder
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp ground turmeric
1/4 tsp asafoetida powder
1 Tbs kosher salt, divided
1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
2 serrano chiles, stemmed and finely chopped
2/3 cup packed fresh mint leaves, finely chopped
1/3 cup packed fresh cilantro leaves, finely chopped
Plain whole-milk yogurt
Spicy Green Chutney

1. Stir together lamb, chana dal, and 1 cup water in a 6-quart programmable electric pressure cooker (such as an Instant Pot). Close and lock lid. Turn steam release handle to “Sealing” position. Press “Manual,” select “High Pressure,” and program 8 minutes pressure-cooking time. When cooking time and time for float valve to drop are complete, turn pressure cooker off. Carefully open using the natural pressure release.

2. Heat 1 tablespoon ghee in a small saucepan over low. Add garlic, ginger, chile powder, coriander, cumin seeds, turmeric, and asafoetida powder; stir with a spatula to combine. Cook until fragrant, about 20 seconds; transfer mixture to a food processor. Add cooked lamb mixture and 1 1/2 teaspoons salt; process until texture is mostly smooth, about 2 minutes, stopping to stir and scrape down sides as needed. Transfer mixture to a large bowl, and cover with plastic wrap until ready to use.

3. Stir together onion, chiles, mint, cilantro, and remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons salt in a medium bowl.

4. Shape lamb mixture into 16 (3-inch-wide) patties (about 3 tablespoons each). Make a 2-inch-wide, 1/2-inch-deep circular indentation in center of each patty. Place 1 heaping teaspoon onion mixture in center of each patty. Press lamb mixture together, sealing filling inside, and shape into a ball. Flatten slightly into a 3/4-inch-thick patty. Place patties on a baking sheet, cover with plastic wrap, and chill at least 30 minutes or up to 1 day. (Alternatively, freeze patties on a baking sheet. Transfer frozen patties to ziplock plastic freezer bags, and freeze up to 1 month. Let thaw completely in refrigerator before cooking.)

5. Working in 3 batches, add 2 teaspoons ghee to a large nonstick skillet. Heat over high until bubbling but not smoking. Add 6 patties, and cook until fully browned on one side, 2 minutes to 2 minutes and 30 seconds. Flip and cook until browned, about 2 minutes. Transfer to a platter lined with paper towels to drain slightly. Serve with yogurt and green chutney

Servings: 8

Source: Food and Wine

Have a great day
 

16 comments:

  1. It does feel like when it rains, it pours. I had an emergency brake freeze. I don't think we ever replaced it. It's been years ago. I also never use my brake very often.

    Good luck with the tests. I hope everything turns out okay. I'll be waiting for the update!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seems things that happen to me you have gone through before me. I think I should examine your life carefully to see what's in store.

      Me too Liz.

      Delete
  2. Hi Jo - I was also going to say when it rains it pours or tends to - glad the car is getting sorted though and you can get to the hospital tomorrow.

    Glad you were able to go to the Red Lobster for some happy food! Mind you the lamb looks good - take care and all the best - Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sure does Hilary. We have the car, minus emergency brake, for the moment.

      Yes, enjoyed Red Lobster.

      Delete
  3. Early? Anything after 7 am is late for me. Like to be up by 6. Of course, I rarely stay up after 10. Sorry about all of your problems - one after another. Hope you do not have a blood clot and get your health straightened away.
    I saw that recipe, but there were too many ingredients (at least 7) that I would have to buy just for that recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get up around 7 Denise, but the washing and dressing bit gets delayed somewhat. I am hoping not as well.

      I know, but it sounds good just the same.

      Delete
    2. LOL. I didn't say I was up and ready to go. I could do so, but most days I take my time. I bought several pairs of lounging pajamas and some days I never get out of them.

      Delete
    3. Ah, wondered why you would be all dressed and ready so early Denise. I have kaftans but never think to wear them. Lungs OK by the way.

      Delete
  4. I missed yesterday and the blown tire. Your car decided to just fall apart all at once on you.
    Prayers for you regarding the test this morning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Missed you Alex. You are right it did. Along with my body apparently.

      Thanks, appreciated.

      Delete
  5. Good luck with the test Jo - thinking of you. I think Mercury in Retrograde my account for some of the mess in Westminster at the minute :) Hopefully by tomorrow they'll start to figure out what they're talking about.
    I always watch out for things happening in threes -but you're well past that now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Fil. It turns out that my lungs are all clear, no blood clots. Better safe than sorry. I assume you mean the Brexit mess.

      Way beyond.

      Delete
  6. I read that your lungs are aok-that's great. I hope the car doesn't set you back too much..cars are such a burden aren't they? I hope Matt didn't focus too much and hope all is ok on that end. I am not one for lamb at all

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they are fine thanks Birgit. It was pretty painful in the pocket, yes, they are a burden. Matt was upset last night about the lung test but had forgotten about it this morning. Love lamb.

      Delete
  7. Glad that the cost for repairs was less than anticipated. That is good news on top of all the bad. Evidently your lungs are good as well, so maybe the streak of bad luck is over! My dad used to love Red Lobster and I loved taking him there and letting him gorge on whatever he wanted. In his last years he could not put on weight, so we encouraged him to eat whatever and whenever he wanted. He loved that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we did save $200 Lisa. Yup, lungs are fine. I would like to think the bad luck was gone for now. We are very fond of the Red Lobster although not the cheapest place to eat. Food is really good though.

      Delete