Saturday, February 29, 2020

Watch, Coffee Maker, Snow, Heating, Saturday Recipe

Being an idiot, I did it, I got in the shower with my new watch on. I realised after a minute or two, not sure how wet it got, but thanks be, it seems to be OK. Phew. I have now painted a large W on the tiles of the shower in an effort to remind myself not to be such a dope. Fingers crossed please.

As promised I got my new coffee maker today. Way to go Amazon. I still haven't heard anything from Walmart. I am somewhat surprised. They are usually more efficient than that. Anyway, I enjoyed my coffee today. The instant pot was great in a pinch, but not as a permanent coffee maker.

So much snow here at the moment, ladydog and Zoey didn't make it today. As they live right out in the country, it is likely the roads would have been bad. The snow has been blowing all day, So  much so that I commented that there would be no snow left in the park because it was all blowing away. We are supposed to get more snow tonight then a day or two without.

I complained about the lack of heat in our apartment today. Much to my surprise, the plumber came this afternoon and it turns out that our heating system had obviously been repaired at some point (prior to us being here, and not properly which is why in really cold, windy weather, it gets really cold in this apartment. Should have complained years ago. Of course without turning off all the heating in the building, they can't repair it right now, but in the summer, it will be fixed. Excuse me while I fix me a hot water bottle.

I have a recipe, not quite a pot roast, which would fit perfectly for this soup.

Pot Roast Mushroom Soup

Got some pot roast left over? You cannot go wrong using it in this rich and flavourful pot roast soup
with mushrooms!.

3 Tbs butter
1 small onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 Tbs thyme, chopped
8 oz mushrooms, sliced
1/4 cup flour (or rice flour for gluten-free)
1/4 cup red wine
4 cups beef broth
2 cups pot roast, cooked and shredded
1 Tbs parsley, chopped

1. Melt the butter in a large sauce pan over medium heat, add the onions and mushrooms and cook until the mushrooms have released their moisture and it has evaporated, about 15-20 minutes.

2. Add the garlic and thyme and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.

3. Mix in the flour and cook for 2-3 minutes.

4. Add the wine and deglaze the pan.

5. Add the broth and beef, bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes.

6. Mix in the parsley and remove from heat.

Servings: 4

Author: Kevin Lynch
Source: Closet Cooking

Have a great day
 

16 comments:

  1. I am a creature of habit. While I still wore a watch, because it was water resistant I wore it everywhere. I suspect I would be in trouble with a watch which was water sensitive. Good luck.
    Being a funghi fan, I think mushrooms improve most savoury dishes - and they are on my menu tonight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know Sue, I did the same. I have just painted a W on the tiles of my shower in the hopes it will remind me - nail polish.

      Me too, love mushrooms.

      Delete
  2. The fitbit-like band that I got says it's water proof, but I still take it off to shower. But I suppose if I forget, I won't need to panic.

    That stinks that you have to freeze all winter. I hate to be cold.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The band maybe, but I bet not the watch itself Liz. Wouldn't risk it.

      Well in fact we only freeze if the wind is in a certain direction and blowing hard like yesterday. But that doesn't happen a lot. Otherwise the heating is perfectly adequate.

      Delete
  3. Hi Jo - glad the watch is still working. Coffee is an essential ... and am glad they've found out why the flat is cold - hope the weather warms up soon for you ... the snow sounds rather much ... but here we're rained out - not good for many. All the best - Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too Hilary, especially as I had only had it 3 days. As I just said above, it's only cold when the wind is in a certain direction. I think I would rather have snow than rain.

      Delete
  4. Geez, you got hit by a spammer again. You sure are popular.
    When my husband moved out, after living here for over 20 years, I called in a heating guy to find out why the house never got warm enough. My ex always said it was just fine and my problem. Turns out the thermostat was placed in front of the furnace exhaust pipe and once the pipe got warm the heat turned off. They moved the thermostat and all is fine now. And my neighbors found out after 45 years that the reason their toilet always backed up was because it was incorrectly plumbed. Makes you wonder what building inspections are for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If that's popularity Denise, I would rather not be popular LOL.

      Interesting, glad you found out and got if fixed. I wonder whether that's the problem with one of our toilets, blocks up all the time.

      Delete
  5. your blog makes me hungry!
    sorry we aren’t posting these days at the “House” but we will return and will welcome your awesome advice and recipes!
    also thanks for stopping by my Beast World campaign at Liz’s!

    Tara Tyler Talks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not supposed to make you hungry Tara, but to inspire you to cook LOL. I miss the House. Used to enjoy it.

      Try to keep up, not always able to unfortunately.

      Delete
  6. Hang in there, Jo. The cold weather should be coming to an end soon. It will be March on Monday. Glad to hear that you can fix yourself a good cup of coffee. Thought of you yesterday actually. i was in the local Value Village checking the book section and they had several coffee makers there, all looking new or near new for $6.00. And one day a week seniors get an additional thirty percent off. Our Toaster Oven came from there too. We have had it for years and it still works. Same with the crock pot and the kettle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am David. March can be pretty bad though. I just can't do Value Village or such places, too much walking and I end up hurting badly. $6 would have been nice I must admit. Oddly enough, I am doing laundry today and in our laundry room there are two cans of Regular coffee. I would have helped myself except I only drink decaf.

      Delete
    2. Decaf. That explains how you can drink coffee all day.

      Delete
    3. Well, yes I guess it does Denise. I can't tell the difference any more.

      Delete
  7. The snow will be melting today. I am so glad you finally got your coffee pot and I bet you will enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, melting here, been raining too Birgit. I will, you can bet on it.

      Delete