Saturday, February 1, 2020

Laboratory, Lunch, Supper, Jeopardy, Honey,

One thing at  least, Matt had to have blood work done today an, unlike the doctor, the lab is a 15 minute walk, if you can walk that is, so a kick and a spit by car. There is a doctor there, I just wish I could get on to his books. No go though.

Later, ladydog picked us up and we went to lunch at Red Lobster which I now have been told that someone calls Dead Mobster. Unjust. I always enjoy my food there. I thought today's was very good, It is lobsterfest at the moment so of course I had a dish with lobster, two kinds of shrimp and scallops. Yummy. Matt had his usual tilapia and ladydog had pasta with a lobster and shrimp sauce.  Matt and I ordered Chocolate Wave Cakes to go and the ice cream they serve with it to eat there. Matt's dessert was free of course. I have to wait til September to get my free dessert.

I had planned to have macaroni cheese cooked in the Instant Pot tonight. Haven't had it for a while. Much to my horror, only a small spoonful of macaroni left. In the end I took two chicken breasts out of the freezer and did a dump and go recipe in the Instant Pot. Finally, when I went to release the pressure, the pin was already down. I opened the lid with trepidation but no steam eventually I realised the frozen chicken had stuck to the inner pot. Never happened before. So I had to set it cooking again. In the end, it turned out just fine. However, I have made a note to myself never to let the frozen chicken sit on the bottom before I add the rest of the ingredients. I don't know if it showed BURN or not, the sauce was bubbling but the chicken was by no means cooked. Live and learn.

Funny, watching Jeopardy tonight, I managed to answer a question which stumped the contestants, it was Panama Canal. I knew it because ladydog did the trip last year and I had checked out the actual route through the canal out of interest. Clever me. Well I thought I was clever anyway.

Matt loves cheesecake - me I'm not so keen. He would probably enjoy this one. I notice it says honey will keep up to a month, I was always given to understand that honey would never go off. Mind you, I always buy it at the farm. Decided to check my facts:

Shelf life for commercial honey has been established at around two years. Honey stored in sealed containers can remain stable for decades and even centuries! However, honey is susceptible to physical and chemical changes during storage; it tends to darken and lose its aroma and flavor or crystallize.

Farmer's Cheesecake with Strawberries

For this elegant, no-bake cheesecake, Nicolaus Balla ferments his own farmer’s cheese (a kind of
cottage cheese). Ricotta mixed with cream cheese makes a delicious substitute for the filling, which is incredibly light, delicately sweet and wonderful inside the crumbly graham cracker crust

CRUST
5 Tbs unsalted butter
3 Tbs sugar
1 1/4 cups packed graham cracker crumbs (10 to 12 whole crackers)
1/4 tsp salt
pinch of ground ginger
pinch of cinnamon
FILLING
1 lb fresh ricotta cheese, at room temperature
1/2 lb cream cheese, at room temperature
3 Tbs agave nectar
1/2 tsp finely grated lemon zest
1 Tbs fresh lemon juice
1/4 tsp salt
pinch of ground ginger
TOPPINGS
1 pint strawberries, hulled and sliced 1/4 inch thick
1/4 cup sugar
1 Tbs fresh lemon juice
2 tsp caraway seeds
1/2 cup honey

1. Make the crust

In a small saucepan, melt the butter with the sugar over moderately low heat, stirring, until the sugar dissolves, about 4 minutes. In a medium bowl, mix the graham cracker crumbs with the salt, ginger and cinnamon. Stir in the melted butter until the crumbs are evenly moistened. Press the crumbs evenly over the bottom and up the side of a 9-inch fluted tart pan. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until well chilled, about 1 hour.

2. Make the filling

In a large bowl, using a handheld electric mixer, beat the ricotta with the cream cheese, agave nectar, lemon zest, lemon juice, salt and ginger just until smooth. Using a spatula, spread the filling in the chilled crust. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until well chilled, about 2 hours.

3. Meanwhile, prepare the toppings

In a medium bowl, toss the strawberries with the sugar and lemon juice. Let stand at room temperature, stirring once or twice, until the berries are juicy and slightly softened, about 30 minutes.

4. Meanwhile, prepare the toppings

In a small saucepan, toast the caraway seeds over moderate heat until fragrant, about 1 minute. Transfer to a mortar and lightly crush the seeds. Return the caraway seeds to the saucepan and add the honey. Warm the honey over moderately low heat for 10 minutes. Strain the honey into a bowl, discarding the seeds; let cool.

5. Meanwhile, prepare the toppings

Cut the cheesecake into wedges, top with the strawberries and caraway honey and serve.

Servings: 8

Author: Nicolaus Balla
Source: Food and Wine

Author Notes
The cheesecake can be refrigerated for up to 2 days. The honey can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 month.








Have a great day

18 comments:

  1. My eldest brother has just returned after a trip through the Panama Canal. He loved it.
    I probably eat cheesecake once every couple of years - which is enough for me.
    Glad that you were able to rescue dinner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ladydog was there last year which is why I looked it up. There used to be a camera there but seems to have disappeared. I watched a ship pass through one of the locks. I'm about the same with Cheesecake. I was annoyed with myself not having the macaroni though.

      Delete
    2. Herbal Penis Enlargement product is 100% guarantee to Enlarge and get a better ERECTION ,the reason why most people are finding it difficultto enlarge Penis is because they bedlieve on medicalreport, drugs and medical treatment which is nothelpful for Penis Enlargement . Natural roots/herbs are the best remedy which can easily Enlarge your Penis permanently Contact Dr Olu via Email : Drolusolutionhome@gmail.com or via WhatsApp : +2348140654426 for Natural root and herbal remedies put together to help you get Enlarge and Erect healthy. Thank you.
































      Herbal Penis Enlargement product is 100% guarantee to Enlarge and get a better ERECTION ,the reason why most people are finding it difficultto enlarge Penis is because they bedlieve on medicalreport, drugs and medical treatment which is nothelpful for Penis Enlargement . Natural roots/herbs are the best remedy which can easily Enlarge your Penis permanently Contact Dr Olu via Email : Drolusolutionhome@gmail.com or via WhatsApp : +2348140654426 for Natural root and herbal remedies put together to help you get Enlarge and Erect healthy. Thank you.












      Delete
    3. am from U..A.E I want to share a testimony of how Dr.Olu herbal mixture cream saves me from shame and disgrace, my penis was a big problem to me as the size was really so embarrassing,and i was also having weak erection problem. I can't make love to my wife and my penis was just too small a full grown man like me having 4 inches penis and to worsen it i don't last in sex i cant even last two minutes it was really a thing of shame to me. My wife was really tired of me because my sex life was very poor,she never enjoyed sex,i was always thinking and searching for solutions everywhere until when i saw a testimony of how Dr.Olu herbal mixture cream have been helping people regarding their sex life, so i decided to give him a try and to my greatest surprise in less than one week of taking the herbs my penis grow to 8 inches i couldn't believe my eyes and as i speak now my penis is now 8 inches and i do not have week erection again. I can make love to my wife longer in bed. And my marriage is now stable,my wife now enjoy me very well in bed. can contact him on his WhatApp number +2348140654426

      Delete
  2. Hi Jo - glad you had the lobster lunch ... sounds so good. Cheesecake is good once in a while ... take care and have a good weekend - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hilary, yes I did enjoy it. You are a once in a while cheesecake eater too. Funny, Matt will eat it regularly if given the chance.

      Delete
  3. I love cheesecake, but not that recipe. While I like ricotta, I prefer cream cheese for my cheesecakes. I hated the Polish cheesecake my grandfather would buy as it is too dry for my liking - a farmer's cheesecake.
    We are celebrating my son's birthday today with lobster mac and cheese, scallops with bacon and garlic steamed mussels. Chocolate torte for dessert. I can't eat all next week, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a German cheesecake which sounds much the same, didn't suit my palate at all.

      What time's dinner?

      Delete
    2. Not until four, so if you start driving you will have plenty of time to get here. Take the tunnel, not the bridge😁.

      Delete
    3. At the time you posted Denise, I would have made it, but not now sadly. What tunnel?

      Delete
    4. Didn't know there was one Denise.

      Delete
  4. We had lunch with friends yesterday and they served cheesecake for dessert. It was pretty good, and since we seldom eat dessert at home, a bit of a treat. We just had a sandwich for dinner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As you say David, makes a nice treat once in a while. ladydog said she went to friend's and they served homemade lemon meringue which she said was wonderful. A sandwich wouldn't have satisfied us I'm afraid.

      Delete
  5. I love getting answers right on quiz shows that the conestants miss :) Makes you feel very smug :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right Fil. Especially on Jeopardy, do you get that in your neck of the woods. I know they stopped showing it in the UK.

      Delete
  6. I always answer quiz shows and yeah, its fun to. I once came across an article that pure honey can last for three thousand years! I wonder if anyone tried it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do so agree Nas, especially when the contestants can't answer the question.

      They must have opened it so maybe someone did. I guess they have found honey inside pyramids and such places.

      Delete