Thursday, February 6, 2020

Coffee Group, Car Wash, Busy Thursday!!

Enjoyed my coffee meeting with my Alzheimer group. Only three of us again. Hopefully, one day, we will all be able to make it. I was a tad teed off because I had cancelled the Community Support vehicle to go to the store, but she turned up anyway which meant I was rushing about to put the refrigerated stuff away at least, before I went out. I made a quick phone call to CSC about this, ended up leaving a message and went out. Later I got an apologetic phone call with an explanation and an assurance I would not have to pay. Generally they are a very helpful and friendly bunch but they do seem to be understaffed. Maybe I should offer to go answer their phones - they are only just up the road - in my spare time you understand!!

Afterwards I decided to get the car washed as it was absolutely filthy. Got my ticket inside the store and drove round to the washing area. Bit of a hold up as it turned out they had installed a new machine and you can actually pay for the wash at the entrance. OK, but some people had older coupons and their numbers have to be changed. The guy in front of me was one of those. Having waited for him, he went in and I waited and waited. Then I figured I should punch in my number, so I did that (3 times in all) the guy behind me came to see what was wrong, then he walked into the store and the clerk came out and pressed the screen and pulled up a keypad on the screen - they needed instructions, I had been pressing a key pad which, I realised then, was specifically for use with the payment cards. Duuh. So, anyway, in I went and I have a nice clean car for a few moments. Mind you it's supposed to snow Thursday or Friday which might mean slush to make my poor little car dirty again. By the way, the key pad on the screen is probably too high for me to reach from my car, OK if you are driving a big SUV or something.

The upshot of all this was, by the time I had got home and had some lunch, I missed exercise class. Annoying.

Another busy day Thursday, Community Support Connections (CSC) are sending a woman to re-do our financial assessment, originally done a year or so ago, then I have to have some blood work to see what my potassium levels are as I get cramps so easily. After that we have our annual optometrist appointment. - and so it goes on. Mind you, I do get a bit bored at the weekend when we have almost nothing to do, that is apart from laundry and cooking, but during the week it all seems to happen at once.

Avocado-and-Shrimp Salad with Red Goddess Dressing

Chef Jonathan Waxman makes his tangy goddess dressing red instead of the classic green, using red
bell peppers for color and flavor

1 roasted red bell pepper, chopped
1 shallot minced
1 garlic clove minced
1 tsp minced jalapeno
3 tbsp plain yogurt
1 tbs apple cider vinegar
1 tsp fresh lemon juice
1/4 cup plus
1 Tbs extra-virgin olive oil
Kosher salt
1 head of lettuce, torn into large pieces
1/4 cup cilantro leaves
1 tsp fresh lime juice
2 Hass avocados, cut into wedges
1 lb cooked shrimp

1. In a blender, combine the roasted pepper, shallot, garlic, jalapeƱo, yogurt, vinegar and lemon juice and puree until smooth. Scrape the puree into a medium bowl and whisk in 1/4 cup of the olive oil. Season with salt.

2. In a large bowl, toss the lettuce with the cilantro leaves, lime juice and the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil; season with salt. Arrange the dressed lettuce, avocado wedges and shrimp on plates and drizzle with some of the dressing. Serve the remaining Red Goddess dressing on the side.

Yield: 4 to 6

 Author: Jonathan Waxman
Source: Food and Wine

Author Notes
The dressing can be refrigerated overnight

Have a great day

 

10 comments:

  1. You are very busy indeed. My much less energetic self would be hanging out for the weekends.
    Glad that you were let off the payment for the service which arrived at the wrong time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, it is either feast or famine Sue.

      The thing was, I had cancelled the service altogether.

      Delete
  2. I think that some of the car washes now require post graduate training to enter! If I peer closely at the pile of dirt in the garage, I can see my car underneath it all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you are right David. They cleaned our underground parking a few months ago and the car gets dirtier now than it ever did before.

      Delete
  3. Once again, I'm exhausted just reading that. Do you ever get a day where you don't have to drive somewhere?
    I dread the day I have to use a car wash again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry to wear you out Alex. Usually Sundays I can relax.

      Don't mind the car wash itself, but this new machine!!!!!

      Delete
  4. At least some of you showed up for the group, but hopefully, you get everyone together at once soon.

    I'm a horrible driver. Even when I can't reach the keypad, I never get close enough, so I have to get out of my car to reach everything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of these days Liz.

      I have a bit of a problem like that too. I could reach by opening the door yesterday, but I don't think I could have reached the actual screen keypad. Car is too low.

      Delete
  5. Thank you for replying to my post on Rivers Words on Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, liked your use of the words.

      Delete