Tuesday, February 25, 2020

Coffee, Owls, Watch, Bowling

Well, you probably didn't realise what a major crisis it was in this household when my coffee maker went kaput. However, I just made myself coffee in the Instant Pot. Boy do I love that machine. I used 8 cups of water, 1/2 cup ground coffee and cooked it for 5 minutes. The recipe I found was for a bigger pot and didn't say how I should release the pressure, so I let it sit for a while and then opened the vent to let of the steam. It might be a little bit strong and maybe I should decrease the coffee slightly, but not much I don't think. I bought a new coffee maker online planning to pick it up today but I was out of luck, not heard anything, so glad I could brew coffee in the Pot.

I just read David Gascoigne's Travels with Birds which included some wonderful pictures of the snowy countryside round here and particularly incredible pictures of a very large Snowy Owl male, how I would love to have seen him. What a magnificent bird.

I went bowling this afternoon, on my own again, and I was thrilled to bits to have three very good games, each one better than the last. 168, 175, 189. Gotta boast, I was so pleased with myself. My average went up 2 points. As a team we gained all 7 points but we are unlikely to move off the bottom much, if at all, because our team was formed so late in the year.

Matt wants to go and try to bowl tomorrow. He said next Monday but he doesn't understand he can't bowl on the team any more so I suggested tomorrow aft. We'll see. Might be better after we see the doc for the results of his tests which I suspect are going to be negative.

Spent a large part of this evening playing with my new watch. It is like a FitBit but a damned sight cheaper. Will take me a while to get it all set up but at least it tells me the time and date now which it didn't earlier LOL

There are so many delicious pasta recipes out there that it is no wonder we have a waist expansion issue. Here is yet another one.

Pasta with Sausage, Basil and Mustard

In 2018, Food & Wine named this recipe one of our 40 best: In matching spicy sausage with a creamy
mustard sauce and fragrant basil, British cookbook author Nigel Slater created a quick pasta supper with warm, mildly spicy flavors, perfect for a cool fall or winter evening.

1 lb penne, rigatoni or medium shells
1 Tbs extra-virgin olive oil
8 hot Italian sausages, meat removed from casings and crumbled (about 1 1/2 pounds)
3/4 cup dry white wine
3/4 cup heavy cream
3 Tbs grainy mustard
pinch of crushed red pepper
1 cup thinly sliced basil

1. Cook the pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water until al dente; drain. Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a large, deep skillet. Add the sausage meat and brown over moderately high heat, about 5 minutes. Add the wine and simmer, scraping up the browned bits from the bottom, until reduced by half, about 5 minutes. Add the cream, mustard and crushed red pepper and simmer for 2 minutes. Remove the skillet from the heat, add the pasta and basil and toss to coat. Serve at once

Servings: 4

Author: Nigel Slater
Source: , Food and Wine

Have a great day

12 comments:

  1. I read David's post with an immense amount of pleasure too - and some awe at his wife's exceptional eyesight.
    It is years since I have gone bowling. I wonder...
    The resident coffee addict here has multitudes of coffee makers. Which is just as well. He is vile if for any reason he can't have the first cup in particular.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know Sue, I sure wouldn't have spotted it. Yeah, but you only have 10 pin don't you? I go 5 pin bowling which as far as I know is only in Canada.

      I sympathise with him. I can at least use my Instant Pot.

      Delete
  2. Thanks again for the link, Jo. I am reading so much about these Instant Pots, I think I have to check one out. Our coffee maker went on the fritz about a year ago and we bought a replacement at the Thrift Store for $5 and it has worked like a charm. On the same day I bought a brand new shirt, still in the package, for $6. No wonder it's called a thrift store!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love my Instant Pot David and would recommend them to anyone. I have a 3 qt which is the right size for Matt and I.

      Never been to a thrift shop, sounds as though I should.

      Delete
  3. When I retired, I bought a Keurig. I have two cups of coffee in the morning. Making more than that was a waste.
    I haven't worn a watch for over 30 years. They would always stop running on my wrist so I just gave up. Something to do with my 'magnetic personality'? lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I drink coffee all day long Denise so an individual cup wouldn't do for me. How odd, I have heard of other people like that - also with a magnetic personality I assume.

      Delete
  4. Hopefully you and Matt go bowling. You did have some great games on your own, so hopefully that continues.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, but the way he is moaning and groaning this morning I think it's unlikely Alex. Trying to get me to do his breakfast I think, but I am hurting too.

      Delete
  5. I am laughing at the instant pot coffee. I do believe you could survive with that one appliance! I have used mine several times in the past week. Once for stew (I solved the burned gravy problem- I make the gravy last on saute mode!) pulled pork, and chicken breast with sweet potatoes and cranberries.

    So happy to hear your bowling scores are improving.

    I also got a fitbit-like watch. I'm not paying extra when I get get one that works just as well for a lot less money.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, I made more coffee that way this morning Liz. I love my Instant Pot and glad you are solving your problem with it.

      Yes, I was really chuffed with my scores yesterday.

      My sentiments exactly.

      Delete
  6. I love that you made coffee in your Instant Pot. That is brilliant. Here's hoping the results aren't negative for Matt.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope he will enjoy his bowling even with just you and him. You did a great game(s). The book sounds really quite nice. I love snowy owls

    ReplyDelete